Kompany calls on Premier League clubs to drop ticket prices

Empty seats when all tickets are sold. Solution would be to award cash back off next purchase once tickets activated through turnstile. ST holders get £5 off ST for next year for each time ticket activated. Match day ticket holders get £10 'credit' applied to their account to spend on whatever they want at MCFC.

Empty seats when all tickets are sold. Solution would be to award cash back off next purchase once tickets activated through turnstile. ST holders get £5 off ST for next year for each time ticket activated. Match day ticket holders get £10 'credit' applied to their account to spend on whatever they want at MCFC.
£5 wouldn't be enough of an incentive
If they can forgo a £40 ticket a fiver is nothing plus a fiver doesn't even cover traveling and parking
As PB has said just a few pages back, it's not about empty seats, it's about atmosphere and lowering ticket prices to encourage a younger more vocal support

Its about time people in the game opened their eye and looked at the empty seats at most games in all grounds. Time to give something back to the supporters. In Germany supporting a team is probably a third of the cost.
There were empty seats at Arsenal v Chelsea - and fairly regularly at the Emirates, most Manure games, and very noticeably some at most West Ham games. MOTD also highlights a few empty seats at our games - the cameras seem focused on our crowd - or am I imagining it ? However, us and those other teams have superb attendance to capacity ratios. Arsenal have the best ratio don't they ? Five empty seats at our place, the Olympic Stadium or the Emirates stand out a mile. At an old ground - in tonight's case, Anfield, the seats are closer together and on a sharper incline. You don't notice the empty seats at Anfield in quite the same way. In the days of standing, you didn't notice fluctuations in crowd size.

Vinnie is right though. The pricing is just not right.

The fiver take on it from the Guardian:

"One could be fooled for thinking Manchester Ciy’s Vincent Kompany had turned into a Manc version of Robin Hood, after demanding that Premier League ticket prices be significantly reduced. Just as we began to well up with admiration for the stopper, he revealed that he bases his argument on the fear that the prestige Premier League “product” could be damaged in the eyes of the broadcasters by football tourism and the like. Heaven forbid anyone would actually spare a thought for the blue-collared Citizens who are being financially stretched to follow their team. Priorities eh?”

I'm not sure a cheaper ST would get me to attend more matches. Too easy to watch the game elsewhere now hence why people miss games. Not feeling too good/long day at work/late home then you can watch most games on sky/BT so not the end of the world if you don't watch it live. Kick offs too late in midweek for kids. Why suddenly 8pm? Cheaper tickets is more likely to make more people miss games I would say.

The prices don't piss me off at all. I think they are fair for ST holders but maybe not so much for match day fans.

Accessibility/parking is becoming a problem for some especially following the parking restrictions. I know some older fans who don't go to midweek matches due to this.

It wouldn't be aimed at you though. I might be wrong but, Based on what you have said, it sounds like you can afford to go. It would be for the thousands of city fans/locals who have been priced out and the younger people who you barely see at the ground (18-25). There are loads of city who have been priced out and stopped going. I just don't buy that we'd have thousands of empty seats with cheaper tickets. Even if we did atleast football would be more affordable and It would give everyone a chance to go again.

• Cheaper tickets - makes football affordable again and gives thousands of people especially working class people a chance to go again vs we'd get some empty seats and people might not attend. It's not even in contest. The positives from cheaper tickets outweigh any negative

I agree on your second point. It can be a night mare trying to park around. The Etihad.

Football at the top now is such big business all facets need to be looked at in a lot of detail. Remember playing street fighter or fifa as a kid?, the crowd was full mechanically pumping their fist?. That was the same marketing mentality put down into something visual as now in the real world. The problem is for this business the large chunks of visual crowds at most top clubs is the vip area where they can't be arsed coming back until 15mins into the second half or start. That right there is a visual nono for this angle of refining business. You want full fat crowds, well for a start you will have to stop enlarging vip areas, you can't have both!

Then of course it is simple, the "normal" fans are priced out. Some see the mark up as to juicy to resist and flog their tickets for profit. Clubs affiliations with ticket selling companies or the lack of restrictions on who can buy them and reselling them need to be addressed also. This goes towards pricing "normal" fans out. Of course i am referring to sites like viagogo here, and similar with clubs and fans using these companies.

I do not believe people should be restricted on seeing us because they are not a fan as such but we could tighten up on where day trippers go. Very often on prominent camera shots at our stadium you see tourists clobbered up to the eyeballs with club shop stuff but not moving and keeping a vacant empty generic smile on their face.

When you see a row of tourists though it lessens the emotional impact. For example a row of (i think) Japanese people were right at the front with the club shop attached to them. We scored and they clapped a bit and cheered a second but that was it. Tourists by the very nature of their visiting will not be gung ho with celebrations and it shows. They want a nice spectacle for their cash and enjoy it as most tourists enjoy things, with a slight reservation.

If you want the passion, get the people with kids at the front who have supported us for years. The camera sees them when we score. We want to see players run over to celebrate with fans and stuff, it fuels the fire of the game i think. All this stewards steaming in and pulling players away like the crowd have the plague is shit. They can't do that with tourists anyway. It creates a real physical barrier between two sets of passionate people in many ways, mainly the killjoy negative way.

Standing areas i feel will help a lot to, Sky and BT would have at least 1 camera focused on those sections with regular cutaways to them. I also assume singing sections will be there so that would look great.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.