Kylian Mbappe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think sometimes you need to put what Mbappé is doing into context. He's going to score 20 goals at 18 years old.

Aguero was 20 the first time he got over 20 goals in a season.

Messi was 22
Higuain was 20
Suarez was 21
C.Ronaldo was 22
Cavani was 24
Ibrahimovic was 23
Rooney was 21
Aubameyang was 24 (also in France)
Dybala was 22
Falcao - 23
Icardi was 22
Lewandowski was 20
Griezmann was 23
Sanchez was 25
Müller was 24
Benzema was 21
Kane was 22
Diego Costa was 25
Lukaku was 19

If you want to go back a while...

Tevez 21
Fernando Torres 20
Eto'o - 23
Totti - 26
Batistuta - 25
Del Piero - 23
Henry 23
Shearer 22 (and in a longer season)
Van Nistelrooy 23
Raúl 19

Mbappe turned 18 in December remember.

Young players don't get that many goals. They aren't supposed to. Even the very best teenage strikers usually only show little hints of how good they could be, they don't discover the consistency to score 20+ goals a season for 3 or 4 years.

And then, Mbappé isn't just doing this as a teenager, he's doing it in his debut season. That's why we wanted to pay £40m for him last summer and why there's so much of a fuss over him...he's absolutely destroying the achievements of the worlds best strikers when they were his age, and he's doing it from a standing start.

I don't know if we're going to sign him, I'd be really, really sad to see Sergio go, the amount of money it would cost would be insane - but people seem to just not really be getting why his exploits this season are attracting the attention they have been. This is why.

To be honest I'm surprised how much people are undervaluing him in here after the CL games against Monaco, because everyone was fucking terrified of him when he got the ball.
Although Robbie Fowler scored 18 goals at 18 and 32 the following season and Michael Owen scored 23, both excellent strikers but neither had long and productive careers nor will either probably be remembered as world class.

Although Robbie Fowler scored 18 goals at 18 and 32 the following season and Michael Owen scored 23, both excellent strikers but neither had long and productive careers nor will either probably be remembered as world class.

You're right Fowler got past 20 when he was 20.

And Michael Owen managed it at 19 before he won the ballon d'or, and Robbie Fowler got about 170 premier league goals despite both of them having about 10 catastrophic knee injuries between them.

So not only did neither of those two manage what Mbappé is doing at his age, both were absolutely brilliant until they got very unlucky with injuries.

Sports medicine has improved drastically since then too, I expect both of those two and the original Ronaldo would have managed to stay at their best much longer than they did if they'd played 20 years later.

Last edited:
Martial shows that spending 50m on a kid from the french league is a huge risk and one we don't need to take

Martial had a good season last season. Mourinho just doesn't know how to use him. Same goes with pog back. They're good players being used wrongly imo.

Because it's true?!

"When the going gets tough you need experience of the situation"

Which situation is that? League title race? The kids have already done it.

KO round of the CL? Kids have already done it.

"The kids aren't consistent" Neither is Aguero! 3 goals in his last 11 league games? First goal against an opposition in the top half of the table was against Liverpool, in March, 29 games gone.

Whats the worst that can happen with these inexperienced kids? They completely lose their heads and blow an open goal in the biggest home game of the season before getting so angry they 2 foot an opposition player and get banned for 4 games and the second time of the season, sparking a mass brawl?

I love Aguero, would be very sad to see him leave, but keeping on because he's consistent and experienced just points to how weak the argument is.

This.

i'd love for us to sign him. was nervous when he got the ball against us, which is probably a good thing. there haven't been many strong links to him from us have there? can't see a transfer of the size it'll be happening without leaks beforehand

Sergio has proved it season after season - big big gamble to expect Mbappe to step up, so it's Sergio out and Mbappe in for the fan boys, So Mbappe will enjoy splinters up his arse then or are we going to play two strikers?

If two strikers is the case then we already have a World class striker at the club- you know , that guy Sergio.

Or, rather, Cope (Spanish media) reported the rags had made an offer of around £110m, a world record, for Mbappe and were the only club with an offer on the table.

Other teams "interested" listed as Real Madrid, Chelsea and (lol) Arsenal. No mention of City.

IMO Monaco will hold him for another year and gamble his stock doesn't drop.
Yea tbh he's knowhwre near that value anyway! Had a good season yea, but I'd leave it another year atleast, and he will then probably be worth around the 70 mil mark for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.