Lancashire CCC

Interesting post that mate. I wouldn't say it was all doom and gloom though for Surrey despite your position. I watched the CB40 game against Glamorgan where your batters smashed them to all parts. Hamilton-Brown and Adans are both inexperienced in their respective roles but they're seemed to be a good spirit around the team and a feeling that things were on the up.

Davies is a real star (although surely England bound) and Jason Roy looks a big talent. Dernbach needs some support but Meaker has some pace and Tremlett has shown he can do it in the past. A bit of confidence and that team could go places. They hinted on TMS last night that KP is going to Middlesex so you might be dodging a bullet their.

I'm more positive when it comes to English talent. I think there's a lot out there but some need to kick on and start making big runs/taking wickets. Guys like Taylor, Vince, Rashid, Malan, Payne etc could all be top players and form a strong England team in the years to come.

I agree though that the county game needs looked at AGAIN!. I'm a fan of the championship and 2 divisions, I think it's been a big success. Having 40 over cricket though makes no sense to me and there is too much 20/20. I also like the idea of having a set day for 50 over cricket, but SKY would never go for that and ultimately it's them funding the game so what they want goes.

Having say 2 under 21's per side is a good suggestion too, i'd be all for that.

JoeMercer'sWay said:
Sky say we've loaned KP, so proves my point really.

Surrey are only doing the ECB a favour to give him some practice as Hants won't play him.

It won't be costing Surrey anything, he will still get paid by England.

I can see him going full time T20 if he ever loses his central contract or has a fall out. He did begrudge letting Hants have 10% of his IPL money.

Good start from Lancs and we should win now but knowing Lancs we will end up collapsing to a 10 run lead and then them getting 300+.

Agree that the league needs looking at again especially the cb40. Why are counties playing 40 over cricket when they dont play it at International level? I know there isnt much difference and that it cancels out the crap 'knock for 6 an over' spells but either both play 50 over or both play 40 overs. Simple as, id prefer 50 over because its tradition really and cant imagine many people wanting the World Cup changing to 40 overs per side.

Also just heard that Owais Shah has been released from Middlesex and i think Lancs need to look at this guy and try and get him on board. Hes never shown his true potential imo but is still a very good player in all forms of cricket and would give us that big hitter in the middle order that we dont have.

Shands said:
Interesting post that mate. I wouldn't say it was all doom and gloom though for Surrey despite your position. I watched the CB40 game against Glamorgan where your batters smashed them to all parts. Hamilton-Brown and Adans are both inexperienced in their respective roles but they're seemed to be a good spirit around the team and a feeling that things were on the up.

Davies is a real star (although surely England bound) and Jason Roy looks a big talent. Dernbach needs some support but Meaker has some pace and Tremlett has shown he can do it in the past. A bit of confidence and that team could go places. They hinted on TMS last night that KP is going to Middlesex so you might be dodging a bullet their.

I'm more positive when it comes to English talent. I think there's a lot out there but some need to kick on and start making big runs/taking wickets. Guys like Taylor, Vince, Rashid, Malan, Payne etc could all be top players and form a strong England team in the years to come.

I agree though that the county game needs looked at AGAIN!. I'm a fan of the championship and 2 divisions, I think it's been a big success. Having 40 over cricket though makes no sense to me and there is too much 20/20. I also like the idea of having a set day for 50 over cricket, but SKY would never go for that and ultimately it's them funding the game so what they want goes.

Slightly off-topic but I've got doubts about Davies as a keeper. Wonderful talent as a batsman but I think he's got really hard hands when behind the sticks.

It hasn't really come out I don't think, but Steve Rhodes had a long battle with him to try and change his technique slightly when at Worcs but Davies is a stubborn little bleeder by all accounts.

It was Chris Read's stubborness and failure to take on board coaching which hampered his progress at International level so it will be interesting to see what happens with Davies.

By the way, if it's true that Cross is being given the gloves now, why wasn't he shown some faith 4 years ago? He's still got a lot to learn but he'd have a lot less to learn now after four years behind the sticks. Sutton's done well for the County but I never agreed with his signing and still don't.

Corky said:
JoeMercer'sWay said:
Sky say we've loaned KP, so proves my point really.

Surrey are only doing the ECB a favour to give him some practice as Hants won't play him.

It won't be costing Surrey anything, he will still get paid by England.

I can see him going full time T20 if he ever loses his central contract or has a fall out. He did begrudge letting Hants have 10% of his IPL money.

Or you can look at it on the other hand which is we're bringing in an out of form big name(again) that is taking a spot that could be used to blood a youngster through at the end of the season, I mean we've only got an outside chance of qualifying as the best runner up in the Pro40 and it's not like KP is smashing it round the park for fun.

I'm glad it's a loan and there's no England games between now and the end of the season for him(unless an injury occurs) so he will play for us for the last few games, I just hope we don't sign him permanently because he'll never be around to play for us and his ego may be disruptive too.

Jury's out on this, though if he and Ramps score centuries together then I won't care ultimately lol

m27 said:
Shands said:

Slightly off-topic but I've got doubts about Davies as a keeper. Wonderful talent as a batsman but I think he's got really hard hands when behind the sticks.

It hasn't really come out I don't think, but Steve Rhodes had a long battle with him to try and change his technique slightly when at Worcs but Davies is a stubborn little bleeder by all accounts.

It was Chris Read's stubborness and failure to take on board coaching which hampered his progress at International level so it will be interesting to see what happens with Davies.

By the way, if it's true that Cross is being given the gloves now, why wasn't he shown some faith 4 years ago? He's still got a lot to learn but he'd have a lot less to learn now after four years behind the sticks. Sutton's done well for the County but I never agreed with his signing and still don't.

That's interesting with regard to Davies. I've not seen much of his keeping and even if I had I wouldn't know what to look for the way you do. He certainly has talent with the bat though.

Cross has hardly been given a ringing endorsment looking at the quotes so far. I get the impression he's almost on trial to the end of the season to see how he does. He's performed well today though in what appears to be tricky conditions so here's hoping it continues. You're right Suttons record actually stacks up well but he should never have been brought in without Cross first being given an opportunity. If Cross does get the nod for next year it'll be interesting to see who keeps in the 2's.

A younger 2xi team had a good win yesterday to reach the trophy final so maybe there is some talent there.

JMW - I still think KP might end up going to Middlesex next year, could they have been looking to get Shah off the wage bill to create a space in the middle order?

Shands said:
m27 said:

That's interesting with regard to Davies. I've not seen much of his keeping and even if I had I wouldn't know what to look for the way you do. He certainly has talent with the bat though.

Cross has hardly been given a ringing endorsment looking at the quotes so far. I get the impression he's almost on trial to the end of the season to see how he does. He's performed well today though in what appears to be tricky conditions so here's hoping it continues. You're right Suttons record actually stacks up well but he should never have been brought in without Cross first being given an opportunity. If Cross does get the nod for next year it'll be interesting to see who keeps in the 2's.

A younger 2xi team had a good win yesterday to reach the trophy final so maybe there is some talent there.

JMW - I still think KP might end up going to Middlesex next year, could they have been looking to get Shah off the wage bill to create a space in the middle order?

Regarding KP would Middlesex have to pay anything to him? He will have a central contract at England so surely Middlesex could have kept Shah and brought in Pietersen aswell because KP is only going to be available for the odd t20 game.

niall_mcfc said:
Shands said:

Regarding KP would Middlesex have to pay anything to him? He will have a central contract at England so surely Middlesex could have kept Shah and brought in Pietersen aswell because KP is only going to be available for the odd t20 game.

I'm not sure about the finer details of a central contract but they might have to pay him whilst he's not with England. I think he'll end up at Middlesex 2bh, we might end up with Shah, I think we need a few batsmen, in fact we need plenty of players if we want to go up any time soon, watching us against Worcs with our toothless seam attack again, it will taken a few more years unfortunately.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.