Last Film You Saw

What a Turkey. avoid at all costs

images

Ghost Story.

Only managed about 20 minutes but trust me that's enough. I do like independent and slower paced films but this absolutely took the piss!! Honestly one of the worst films I have tried to watch.

Saw Victoria and Abdul last night with my wife on date night and found it reasonably pleasant. Funnier than I expected, and also a trifle duller. Over here we naive Yanks don't have much of a sense of the whitewashing of Britain's colonial past, which I understand popped up quite a bit in criticism of it over there.

Finally saw Blade Runner 2049 on Saturday. The first BR is my favourite ever film, Philip K Dick is easily one of my favourite authors and I love anything that is cyber-punk themed. So, for those reasons alone I did enjoy the film - I just loved the look and sound of it, and some of the features and ideas were interesting and thought-provoking.

However, I'm not quite sure whether it was a good film. I don't know exactly why I have my doubts - whether it be that the plot was a bit messy and nonsensical at times, or Ryan Gosling a bit wooden - but something just felt a bit off. It definitely could've been cut by at least 30 minutes. I also think that the most interesting aspect of the film was the AI romance, yet that was really a side-story or sub-plot and not the main crux of the film (or wasn't intended to be, at least). In fact, she was the only character that seemed to have any 'character' and whose death I was bothered about - all the other characters just felt a bit bland in comparison.

That said, it was miles better than Prometheus and Covenant (if I'm going to compare it to other revived Ridley Scott franchises) - that might be because Scott had a lesser role in this than the Alien prequels.

Definitely worth a second viewing at least.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.