Last Film You Saw

Hopefully they will fuck Kathleen Kennedy off and get it back on track, yes I’m a fanboy and if the dads an original fans don’t want to take their kids or buy the stuff Disney could fuck up the franchise.
They area already making too many films saturating the market with star wars only makes it seem less imho

Will be interesting which they go. Will they continue with shoe-horning in social justice themes & diversity for the sake of it, and hope they snag a new breed of fan. Or will they try and appease the older established fans by back-tracking towards the original canon, which could result in a load of retconning to suit.

I wonder if similiar parallels can be drawn with what has recently gone on at the Comics Division of Marvel. Circa 2014 they changed their main editorial staff from being 20% female to 80% female who then introduced a raft of diverse writers/artists who focused on a load of social justice/diversity themes. In the process they did some weird stuff to original characters, like killing Peter Parker off in favour of a new Afro-Latino spiderman, i think they turned the Hulk into a Korean, made Iron-man become a teenage black girl, substituted Thor & Captain Marvel as females and (probably the funniest) got Jean Grey to gaslight Iceman into being gay.
The problem was that these new characters didn't appeal to enough people who would actually buy the comics, and the original fans stopped buying them because the storylines & artwork had suffered as a result.
After persevering with them (with dwindling sales) for the last few years, and then viewing the success of Marvel's TV & Film Division (who have mainly kept the characters close to the originals) they've finally decided to try and reverse things by re-booting a lot of the characters back to their original forms, and discontinuing the diverse storylines/series. Seems obvious that social justice wasn't enough to pay the bills.

Will be interesting which they go. Will they continue with shoe-horning in social justice themes & diversity for the sake of it, and hope they snag a new breed of fan. Or will they try and appease the older established fans by back-tracking towards the original canon, which could result in a load of retconning to suit.

I wonder if similiar parallels can be drawn with what has recently gone on at the Comics Division of Marvel. Circa 2014 they changed their main editorial staff from being 20% female to 80% female who then introduced a raft of diverse writers/artists who focused on a load of social justice/diversity themes. In the process they did some weird stuff to original characters, like killing Peter Parker off in favour of a new Afro-Latino spiderman, i think they turned the Hulk into a Korean, made Iron-man become a teenage black girl, substituted Thor & Captain Marvel as females and (probably the funniest) got Jean Grey to gaslight Iceman into being gay.
The problem was that these new characters didn't appeal to enough people who would actually buy the comics, and the original fans stopped buying them because the storylines & artwork had suffered as a result.
After persevering with them (with dwindling sales) for the last few years, and then viewing the success of Marvel's TV & Film Division (who have mainly kept the characters close to the originals) they've finally decided to try and reverse things by re-booting a lot of the characters back to their original forms, and discontinuing the diverse storylines/series. Seems obvious that social justice wasn't enough to pay the bills.
That’s the thing these franchise are big because of the original fans I’m all for getting younger fans as they are the future however the films have survived so long for a reason, it’s not political or social messages it’s pure escapism, why does everything have to have a fucking message. The fanboys are the ones that will keep it going the others will move on as they do pretty much everything in this world at the moment. If solo is a flop they had better pull the stops out for episode 9 or the franchise will be on a downward slope.

That’s the thing these franchise are big because of the original fans I’m all for getting younger fans as they are the future however the films have survived so long for a reason, it’s not political or social messages it’s pure escapism, why does everything have to have a fucking message. The fanboys are the ones that will keep it going the others will move on as they do pretty much everything in this world at the moment. If solo is a flop they had better pull the stops out for episode 9 or the franchise will be on a downward slope.

I get the feeling they just want to rip up all of the Star Wars that's gone before, so they've basically got carte blanche to then do as they want.
That way they can then use different writers/directors to easily go off in different directions with a view to producing a yearly 'blockbuster'.
The problem is that could be lead to just creating mediocre sci-fi productions, with poor storylines & characters which are dressed up by just sticking a Star Wars label on them.
I would consider this to be a shame, but to be honest, i get more enjoyment & entertainment now through the social commentary on the films than i do actually watching them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.