Leadership?

Ric

Administrator
This isn't particularly in response to last night (I thought we played fairly well on the whole, but were undone by individual errors), but a more general point about the team this season.

In the past we had a really strong spine, and leaders all over the field: Hart, Kompany, Zabaleta, Barry, Toure, Tevez etc. You could see it on Tunnel Cam, where they'd be cajoling each other before games and the opposition would look apprehensive.

The squad is arguably stronger now, but there seems to be a distinct lack of leaders in the team. The captaincy changes hands on an almost match-by-match basis, and there doesn't seem to be anyone who drags the team through when we're up against it.

Maybe the game has changed, and that sort of tub-thumping rhetoric isn't as important any more, or is it something lacking in the squad that needs to be addressed in the summer?

Im old fashioned in that i want to see a captain on the pitch, a real leader who the rest totally respect and i dont like seeing a different player seemingly being given the arm band on a weekly basis for no rel reason half the time.

Look, they are highly paid professionals who shouldn't need anymore motivation than wanting to go out there and prove to the world they are the very best but we have seen for a while now that when the going gets tough, too many just take the easy option and disappear and its something Pep needs to get his head round, accept is a huge part of our game in this country and address imo.

Zabba is a warrior whom we all love but his legs have gone, isnt what we need at full back anymore and he is given the armband?

I'm not really sure who wears the arm band really makes much difference

As far as leadership goes, you are correct, there doesn't appear to be a visible leader on the pitch. Perhaps, the club believe we let let our football do the talking and the more confidence we have in the system, the more confidence the players have in each other

This isn't particularly in response to last night (I thought we played fairly well on the whole, but were undone by individual errors), but a more general point about the team this season.

In the past we had a really strong spine, and leaders all over the field: Hart, Kompany, Zabaleta, Barry, Toure, Tevez etc. You could see it on Tunnel Cam, where they'd be cajoling each other before games and the opposition would look apprehensive.

The squad is arguably stronger now, but there seems to be a distinct lack of leaders in the team. The captaincy changes hands on an almost match-by-match basis, and there doesn't seem to be anyone who drags the team through when we're up against it.

Maybe the game has changed, and that sort of tub-thumping rhetoric isn't as important any more, or is it something lacking in the squad that needs to be addressed in the summer?

We've got a captaincy problem because the squad is divided into 2 camps - "just arrived" and "on the way out". You can see it in the age profile of the squad as well, 3 players between 23-27 - KDB, Delph and Gundogan.

I think the problem at the moment with leadership is that it's very hard to lead when you're unsure of your own game. Pep is completely overhauling the style of play and demanding completely new things from all XI players on the pitch and I think you can get into a scenario of "I'm just doing what I'm told".

In order for a leader to pick the game by the scruff of it's neck you need to be 100% confident in what you're doing. To order other players around in a backline, you need to be 100% certain that you are in the right.

It will come in time.

i am also old fashioned in the respect that i believe a good captain makes a real difference, leads by example etc, but i've heard a few ex-players reecently, older in age than I, claim that the captaincy thing is overrated and fans notice it way more than the XI on the pitch (Lineker, Keown)

i for one think we are perhaps missing a solid leader but if you think about it, Ya Ya was captain plenty and he just plodded about

Pep is the leader. End of.

What he needs is a squad of players who are technically proficient, mentally strong enough and willing to (metaphorically) die for each other, no matter what happens.

Spot on about Yaya. If we can get Kompany back it will make a huge difference I think. But the OP makes a good point I think. In time I think Stones will be the skipper.

You're right Ric. I''ve worried for some time that we have a squad of intelligent, nice men - decent human beings who happen to be talented footballers but are not natural leaders or resilient characters. All the great teams have a few "characters" who will mix it with the opposition and lead when things get tough. In the Mancini team it was typified by Toure, De Jong and Tevez (characters and not afraid to mix it), aided and abetted by Hart, Kompany and Zabaleta (leaders and warriors), Barry (no nonsense) and even Balotelli (unpredictable but capable of moments of brilliance and arrogance). Looking at Barca last night (imo), they have Mascherano and Suarez (characters and not afraid to mix it) Iniesta, Pique, Rakitic (leaders and warriors), Busquets (no nonsense), and then you get to Neymar and Messi (capable of sustaining brilliance and arrogance consistently). You can see easily why were keen on Bonucci this summer, Chellini in the past etc. Lets hope Pep and co realise this and build accordingly. Football never has been just about talent. Resilience and leadership are equally important.

I think, having a Captain as influential is VK is, missing for much of the season goes a long way to answering your question. We do have leadership, he just isn't playing yet.

However, I do think the idea of what a Captain brings to the team is over indulged by fans. I don't think an aggressive, in your face, drag you through the mud type personality is needed as a captain any more. If you think of personalities like Vieira and that tosser Keane, you don't see any of that these days. Certainly, if you look through the list of team captains in the Premier League, there aren't many inspiring names in terms of personality.

A level below that is this "leaders on the field" ideology. Whilst i'm sure it's a benefit to have multiple strong personalities putting all on the line, it's not something you see from many teams these days, and I personally don't think it makes one bit of difference.

I think Captains, leaders on the field often gets confused with a mutual team ethic and organisation. I don't think you need 'leaders', but I do think everyone having a mutual understanding of the team's organisation and tactical instruction is paramount to success. Everton's performance I think is a good example of that. I wouldn't say they performed so well because Phil Jagielka is so inspiring and other "leaders on the field" stepped up such as Bolasie and Cleverley (to enforce my point), but they, as a collective, completely nailed it in terms of ethos and organisation of what they needed to do to get a result.

I'm not sure we have that ethos throughout the team as yet.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.