Lee Dixon nbc comentary twitter becomes outraged

Ah, but

"Hispanic Americans use the word as a derogatory term towards Americans, mainly but not exclusively white, and the derogatory connotation depends upon the context, body language or tone of voice used"

So not only was I shouted at, I was also accused of being American!

I am now doubly offended and will write to my MP, the honky bastard
Gringo isn't a derogatory term by itself, it does refer to white people, mainly yanks but if you're white and a brit you're a gringo too. If preceded by 'pinche' or followed by 'puto' then they're having a dig. I've worked with hundreds of mexicans over the years and can normally hold my own with our amigo's

I would imagine those crying racism base it on karate being Japanese where Son is Korean i.e. all people from that area are indistinguishable from each other. I think it's being blown out of proportion btw. Last year me and the missus bought a bottle of Tsingtao from Tesco and the checkout guy asked my missus what Tsingtao meant. I said she doesn't know as she's Thai and not Chinese. I didn't see this as racism but I just thought he was a bit of a knob.

Yeah had the same years ago with my wife also when I went for a chinese meal with work mates, one of their fellas asked my missus what meal was a favourite back home, Being Thai and not chinese she wasn't impressed.

Last edited:
Tom's owner in Tom and Jerry would have had the Black Lives Matter crowd burning down the MGM studios.

To be fair, the use of "mammy" character is pretty problematic. I think people kick off way too easily these days about the whole "you can't say anything anymore" thing. It's not a bad thing that people are beginning to broadly agree on the fact that some racial stereotypes aren't particularly helpful and that some groups have had to put up with being portrayed in an unfairly reductive way in the past. It's inevitable that some things that we used to think are ok might not be so cool after all. It doesn't mean that we were terrible people for finding certain portrayals of different people funny in the past, it's just indicative of the fact we're actually starting to listen to other kinds of people outside of the narrow groups that have traditionally dictated the national discourse. I think in the past when people have pointed out to me that some views I've held myself might actually be a bit racist, I've taken it quite personally and desperately tried to defend my position. Now though, I've come to the conclusion that if somebody from a particular group is telling me why they find something racist or offensive or whatever, it often pays to actually listen to what they're saying as I usually learn something and seeing things from all kinds of perspectives gives you a more well rounded view of the world.

Gringo isn't a derogatory term by itself, it does refer to white people, mainly yanks but if you're white and a brit you're a gringo too. If preceded by 'pinche' or followed by 'puto' then they're having a dig. I've worked with hundreds of mexicans over the years and can normally hold my own with our amigo's

Nowt wrong with Gringo. I refer to myself as one when I'm in Mexico.
Over here I refer to myself as a caker. That's what the Italians over here call us.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.