Leeds Utd v City - 1976/77 FA Cup

Prestwich_Blue

Just come across this footage of our trip to Elland Rd in the 5th round of the 1976/77 FA Cup. We'd beaten them on Boxing Day there in the league and had a good win in the 4th round at Newcastle and I remember feeling really confident that we were going to have a good season as we were 3rd in the league and playing well. Leeds were mid-table at the time.

It was 0-0 at half time and Joe Corrigan made that fantastic save in the second half (which is on the footage) and we thought that we were at least going to take them back to Manchester for a replay. Then they scored late on and I've rarely felt so deflated.

It was always tasty over at Leeds in those days and the film gives a good feel as to what it was like at an away game then.

I was at that game and also at Newcastle in the previous round. As you say it certainly gives a good feel what away games were like in them days.
96 arrests seemed to be acceptable, lol.

Think Harvey and McQueen could have been added to the arrest total as well; seem to recall them coming to blows.

Think Harvey and McQueen could have been added to the arrest total as well; seem to recall them coming to blows.

That was the third round tie in January 78.

Watching this though, just before it shows Corrigans save, it showed a Leeds player get fouled and get straight back up without rolling around for ten minutes. The same with there goal, Cherry was fouled, got up and scored.

Oh for a return to real football instead of todays sterilised game.... or am I just being nostalgic.

I went to Leeds a few times around this period,the ferocious battle between Dave Watson and Joe Jordan will always live in my memory

Scary day out. And some want the buggers back in the Prem.

Yes mate. The alternative seems to be Bournemouth away on a Monday night. More local games please (from a selfish perspective).

I think this is our last game at Elland Road that I've missed. It was like the Wild West in those days as many have said. I've heard tales of a Blue highjacking a car of Leeds fans to get away from the Leeds mob.

Can somebody please show Bravo the clip of the Joe Corrigan save!

One of my dad's last league away games, he drove us there and for some reason parked fucking miles away from the ground in some sort of housing estate on a hill. We had to walk miles through walkways between allotments, as a 13/14 year old was shitting it.

Shit it more on my own at the pitch invasion game catching the train from Stalybridge. The journey back to the railway station still gives me nightmares.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.