Leicester Post Match thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It left me feeling like we'd just seen the end of an era.
Great post. I've not quoted all of it but highlighted this bit. It does feel like a line has been crossed doesn't it? We've seen us lose or go on a poor run before but there was always an expectation that we'd somehow turn it round. Yet Saturday felt different. It wasn't dissimilar to games like Blackburn in the FA Cup, where we were fired up with the possibility that we were going to do something after a disappointing season and then the rug was pulled from under us with a poor display and a realisation that we'd fooled ourselves.

The last two seasons we've been fooling ourselves that this is a trophy winning team that would inaugurate a dynasty of success and glory. And suddenly it's clear we're little better than we were under Hughes in the 2009/10 season, with a manager who has no answers to the questions other teams are asking us.

It seems like a long time ago, but the first half a dozen so games of this season, we were ripping up trees, blowing teams away and, crucially, not conceding goals. A lot has changed since then, but you have to bear in mind that we have had an injury list that no other team have had to endure. The 11 we have fielded since October have been very short of our best. We have missed arguably the best forward in the World and arguably the best centre back in the World for huge portions of the season. Silva has carried an ankle injury when he has played, Nasri, love him or hate him, gives us goals and creativity has been out long term, DeBruyne is out for three months and even players like Delph, Bony, Mangala and Navas who have been missing give out 'front liners' a breather. If we could field anything like our best 11, the league would have been won by now and we'd have crushed plucky little Leicester's bones to make our bread on Saturday. Unfortunately, the constant chopping and changing, despite 'man for man' having better players, has fucked us. Let's see what Arsenal look like without Ozil, Sanchez, Giroud, Cech, etc shall we? Or Leicester without Vardy, Drinkwater, Mahrez, Huth etc?
Get some players back, particularly key players and we'll be fine - take out 6 or 7 players, some of them World Class and we have a problem.

When I saw this lineup and formation before the game, I thought it might work. But why the fuck did he deploy them in a 442?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Reminder of your <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/mcfc?src=hash">#mcfc</a> team for today with ten to go! <a href="https://twitter.com/NieldyMCFC">@NieldyMCFC</a> here providing <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/cityvlcfc?src=hash">#cityvlcfc</a> updates for you. <a href="https://t.co/u07MWgvzSp">pic.twitter.com/u07MWgvzSp</a></p>&mdash; Manchester City FC (@mcfc) <a href="">February 6, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Great post. I've not quoted all of it but highlighted this bit. It does feel like a line has been crossed doesn't it? We've seen us lose or go on a poor run before but there was always an expectation that we'd somehow turn it round. Yet Saturday felt different. It wasn't dissimilar to games like Blackburn in the FA Cup, where we were fired up with the possibility that we were going to do something after a disappointing season and then the rug was pulled from under us with a poor display and a realisation that we'd fooled ourselves.

The last two seasons we've been fooling ourselves that this is a trophy winning team that would inaugurate a dynasty of success and glory. And suddenly it's clear we're little better than we were under Hughes in the 2009/10 season, with a manager who has no answers to the questions other teams are asking us.
The biggest disappointment for me is that despite all our injury problems and the coming to an end of the current teams life, we could still have won this mediocre league with a more tactically astute manager.

I thought Leicester were excellent. We weren't exactly sparkling, but they were so well set up to exploit our weaknesses and defend brilliantly that I think we might well have lost at our best.
Leicester are by far and away the best team in the league this season and by now it's only ignorance or arrogance that can blind someone to that.
I don't think anybody is blinded by the quality shown by Leicester, but plenty are at least partially blind if they can't see we've been struggling for a while and were lucky to get three points from relegation threatened Sunderland a few days earlier. And we failed to beat a Villa side that has been pretty much nailed on to go down for months. And then you have the totally inept performances against Liverpool and Stoke. Add in the fact (real fact not Rafa fact) that we haven't beaten a team in the top six and it's hardly great for a team with the quality of players we have.
Of course we've had injuries, but so many have been in training and warm ups that we have to look at our own training methods. We are the cause of many of our injuries.
Leicester was the culmination of all the bollox we've endured. It was the opportunity to make a statement and we failed to make it.
We've still got a third of the season to go and it's ridiculous to write us off. But Saturday was poor whichever way you choose to measure it.

Err we were watching and commentating on the rag and chav's game at the time lol
Whilst you are searching my posts you will see i don't call our players or manager cunts but you do that's why i asked the question
I should think not if you are a lady, have you not got any episodes of loose women sky+ instead of trolling blues on here. Most catch up and agree with me eventually....

I should think not if you are a lady, have you not got any episodes of loose women sky+ instead of trolling blues on here. Most catch up and agree with me eventually....
200.gif

Of course we've had injuries, but so many have been in training and warm ups that we have to look at our own training methods. We are the cause of many of our injuries.
So are we spending too much time trying to develop super fit robots and not focusing on playing football?
I've been watching games on videos from the 60s & 70s where players were running themselves into the ground for 90 minutes; only one substitute; they were playing on bogs instead of grass; tackles were flying in hard and fast. Yet the same 11 played the following week again.
We must be doing something wrong with all this sports psychology, medicines; diets, gym work, etc. in the pursuit of the "perfect athlete".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.