Lionel Messi (again)

Discussion in 'Transfer forum' started by karen7, 18 Feb 2017.

1. Gunnerblue9320

Gunnerblue9320

Yes - contract up 2018.

Translation - Messi to use other clubs to get a bumper pay rise.

2. doobyedoobye

doobyedoobye

Ah I see.

3. BufordUSABlue

BufordUSABlue

Making the worlds water clean to drink!
    We'd have to trigger his release clause first which is somewhere north of 100M right??

4. Prestwich_Blue

Prestwich_Blue

Spanish buy-out clauses are different to the release clauses we're used to and have a legal standing. In Spain, they are mandatory and a player can buy out his contract for the stated fee and his club can do nothing about it. But he has to do it, not the buying club as I understand it, otherwise there are tax issues with VAT being payable. The clubs can come to an agreement on price to mitigate this but the selling club has the right to demand the full fee, plus VAT, if it wants. Messi's clause is around £180m I believe.

5. Blue Smarties

Blue Smarties

Yep. Spanish clauses are a right hassle for clubs.

6. blueparrot

blueparrot

I thought the player has to buy himself out, so we would pay the player to do that which would then be seen as personal income so it would be taxed which the buying club would also be expected to pay. Whereas if an agreement is made between the clubs then it doesn't involve the player and isn't taxable. I believe either way there would be VAT on the purchase for the fee the selling club receives..

7. Gaudion M

Gaudion M

He was pants yesterday. If he has a poor run in and Barca finish 3rd then they might fancy cashing in. My understanding is they are skint and this is the window where they have to either renegotiate his contract, sell or face losing for naught in 2018. This is possibly our best chance to get him at a decent age.

8. Trevor Morley's Tache

Trevor Morley's Tache

Doing stuff
    Messi has nothing left to prove. If he did ever consider coming to City, it would only ever be to top up his pension. That would be the last thing we'd need. Even the publicity and merchandising wouldn't be worth the hassle. Plus, imagine how desperate the scumbag press would be for him to be a complete flop.

9. MillisleBlue

MillisleBlue

He'd probably be ok for a couple of games and then miss the rest of the season injured.

10. KenTheLandlord

KenTheLandlord

Quite correct although different regions will have slightly different rules. Getting a player from a Basque club is an absolute minefield.