Liverpool thread 2017/18

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched the game last night night, and I wouldn't call Liverpool a long ball team, genuinely have no idea where that's coming from.

I can't hate two teams, so I'll reserve mine for the Rags.
They aren't but they did do it a fair bit last night but nowt wrong with that if during the match it becomes obvious that launching it over a high line is going to see you into a CL final.

You press liverpool and they try and pass out from the back - similar to us but looking for the long ball down the channels to their forwards. The difference is that as soon as it becomes remotely difficult they hoof it long and let their whippets run the ball down. Against Liverpool we keep trying to pass out of the press but (far too frequently) lose posession and concede shortly thereafter. The key to this is Fernandinho being out numbered and his passing options being limited to our centre halves who then quickly become outnumbered themselves. The key here is Frimino droping deep and a screen of midfielders blocking the passing routes forward to our attacking players. Our centre halves are similarly then closed down.
When we get out of the press they quickly retreat and form a defendive formation to stop us getting into their penalty area that is designed to stop the pass and we oblidgingly pass round it.

How to counteract this?
Like Liverpool when the pass becomes difficult lump it forward and chase the opposition down. Dont try a risky pass against Liverpool.
Deploy the double pivot giving an extra pass option in the centre and bring the wide players in from the flanks to the edges of their "boxes" and the passing channels open up past the defensive screen.
When they form their defensive box - don't just keep passing round it looking for the killer pass but also run at their defence and dribble! Foden and Bernardo are exceptional at doing this. They suck defenders towards them and destroy the opposition formation and yet retain posession to then cross or pass. I'm sure others can do it too. Bernardo's cameo in the January game showed this point to the max as it resulted in two late goals against Liverpool. It is a natural part of Foden's game too (for those of you who watched the U17 England games and his 20 mins against Swansea). I'm sure there are other players who can do it too.

Last edited:
Oy......what @Lancet Fluke said you fecker........
Hehe yes, I do and I'd love to comply, but my facebook (which I just scrolled all the way down, shuddering with my eyes half closed) only goes back to 2007 and my gmail 2008. Apologies, I hope I can be forgiven - I mean com'on, I've never typed CR7 or SAF... until now ;)

Pretty in my eyes. Dark brown, straight-ish hair. Funny and good with words. Few years older than me and talked a LOT. There you go.

Oh wait a minute, just found this on an old laptop...

Hehe yes, I do and I'd love to comply, but my facebook (which I just scrolled all the way down, shuddering with my eyes half closed) only goes back to 2007 and my gmail 2008. Apologies, I hope I can be forgiven - I mean com'on, I've never typed CR7 or SAF... until now ;)

Pretty in my eyes. Dark brown, straight-ish hair. Funny and good with words. Few years older than me and talked a LOT. There you go.

Oh wait a minute, just found this on an old laptop...

Fandabbidozie!

Dippers are blinkered hypocritical cnuts. Asking for the game to be played behind closed doors. As theirs should have been. I hope the innocent fella recovers, but I really want those deluded twats who go looking for trouble in Rome to find it and end up in a bad way. They are vermin and the Italians and police will show them no mercy with any luck.

I watched the game last night night, and I wouldn't call Liverpool a long ball team, genuinely have no idea where that's coming from.

I can't hate two teams, so I'll reserve mine for the Rags.
They tried to press Liverpool - not very well it has to be said - and we're hammered by long passes down the channels through their midfield to Liverpool's forwards. "Taking candy from a baby" is the phrase I'd use.

Knew that was Chamberlains ligaments going as soon as i saw it, reminded me of mendy's - big shame for him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.