Liverpool thread 2017/18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not like they get anything wrong or run blatant lies as a true story is it? Lol!
The latest videos on Youtube clearly show clashes between two sets of thugs outside the Kop, by the away turnstiles on Anfield Road, and in the city centre. The thug carrying the hammer is clearly in a group of Liverpool hooligans chasing Roma Ultras. Meanwhile the police were allowing their vehicles to be climbed on again by Liverpool thugs with flares.
We all know full well that Roma fans have a violent element but to blame all this disorder on them is absurd. Don't expect any of this to be reported accurately in our media as it doesn't fit the Liverpool fans are just passionate narrative.
Merseyside police are a disgrace but this is no surprise to any City fans who have travelled to Anfield for the last 40 years.

You press liverpool and they try and pass out from the back - similar to us but looking for the long ball down the channels to their forwards. The difference is that as soon as it becomes remotely difficult they hoof it long and let their whippets run the ball down. Against Liverpool we keep trying to pass out of the press but (far too frequently) lose posession and concede shortly thereafter. The key to this is Fernandinho being out numbered and his passing options being limited to our centre halves who then quickly become outnumbered themselves. The key here is Frimino droping deep and a screen of midfielders blocking the passing routes forward to our attacking players. Our centre halves are similarly then closed down.
When we get out of the press they quickly retreat and form a defendive formation to stop us getting into their penalty area that is designed to stop the pass and we oblidgingly pass round it.

How to counteract this?
Like Liverpool when the pass becomes difficult lump it forward and chase the opposition down. Dont try a risky pass against Liverpool.
Deploy the double pivot giving an extra pass option in the centre and bring the wide players in from the flanks to the edges of their "boxes" and the passing channels open up past the defensive screen.
When they form their defensive box - don't just keep passing round it looking for the killer pass but also run at their defence and dribble! Foden and Bernardo are exceptional at doing this. They suck defenders towards them and destroy the opposition formation and yet retain posession to then cross or pass. I'm sure others can do it too. Bernardo's cameo in the January game showed this point to the max as it resulted in two late goals against Liverpool. It is a natural part of Foden's game too (for those of you who watched the U17 England games and his 20 mins against Swansea). I'm sure there are other players who can do it too.

nice analysis & was even more apparent last night when the Roma defenders more so than often found themselves in this position and just looked so shaky & nervous in attempting to pass it out from the back. Why they just didn't boot it up field with Dzeko to try and hold the ball to simply relief the pressure I didn't understand, until it was too late.

Di Francesco has to take all of blame they way he set up his team last night pretty much playing into Liverpool's hands & strengths. I heard his argument was the goals came from when they lost possession but they are hardly a crisp, accurate, high intensity passing side so he must have known this situation was going to occur more than often if Liverpool press them and intercept their passes so why then play a high line?

Keep it tight at the back with multiple bodies & don't allow the runners space & channels & make Liverpool beat you with worldies & take your chances when they run out of steam should have been the game plan i.m.o. and they pretty much adopted this style when they recently beat Napoli 4-1

Will take a miracle for them to come back from this & even if they score 3, I can see Salah scoring unless De Rossi hacks him out of the game!

the bbc have just shown the picture of the guy with a hammer,but he wasnt a"roma fan " must of been a chelsea fan then ,sorry if already posted

Interestingly, every time I see them mention the fan with the hammer on BBC they only say that he "wasn't with the Roma fans". They don't seem to be able to bring themselves to say the words "there was a Liverpool fan walking around with a hammer". Wouldn't suit the narrative I suppose. Anyway, he was probably just an over boisterous young scamp showing passion (that you can't buy) for his club.

Absolutely this.

as much as I've grown to hate them their definitely not a long ball team. They weren't long balling against us in either leg and I haven't watched them in any games in the league either. They DID however do it at times last night especially in the 2nd half but only because Romas defence was shocking and it was a quick means of getting the ball to SAlah Firmino etc who had them for breakfast lunch and dinner. Hate to say it but Mourinhos the master at setting up a defence to nullify an attack like Liverpools and part of it is dropping deep and not having slow wing backs like Kolorav bombing forward and not having the legs to get back.

Clutching at straws I know but surely the top plod authority will be looking at Liverpool's finest and saying "Report to me and explain how you have allowed this to happen twice in recent weeks"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.