London Stadium (West Ham) - Visitors Opinion

They need safe standing at that ground. Think Brady and co are to blame for at lot of current the issues at the stadium.

Seats do look a bit to far of the pitch for my taste

On a different note how good does Spurs proposed stadium look

tottenham-hotspur-stadium-520x313.jpg

That's the old design, by KSS. Spurs revealed a new design by Populous about 15 months ago (edit: this render has been flipped for some reason, but you still get a sense of how it will look):

THFC_Populous.jpg

Those of you attending the game on Sunday will see that work is now well under way:

0Njbsq0.jpg

Interesting report Whenprogs.........I know that the World Athlectics are due in 2017(maybe June). During the Olympic Games there were daily crowds of 80,000 - making London a greatly supported in the modern games. I also know they have brought the floodlights inside the roof. Still the triangular shape.
Are you able to answer this : Whammers current capacity is limited to 57,000 - so has the stadium 'lost' 20,000 odd seats?.
Also , do you know if the Athletics will have a capacity of say 60,000.
Thanks

A lot of seats in the upper tier at either end are currently tarped off. These are the seats that are considered to be outside normally acceptable viewing distances for football. West Ham are hoping to bring some of these seats back into commission next season, to take capacity up to 67,000. But they will have to sort out the issue of fans standing first. As it is, their capacity this season is supposed to be 60K but the council are limiting capacity to 57K until fans can be made to sit.

As to athletics events, I believe the capacity will still be in excess of 70K.

Last edited:
That's the old design, by KSS. Spurs revealed a new design by Populous about 15 months ago (edit: this render has been flipped for some reason, but you still get a sense of how it will look):

THFC_Populous.jpg

Those of you attending the game on Sunday will see that work is now well under way:

0Njbsq0.jpg

A lot of seats in the upper tier at either end are currently tarped off. These are the seats that are considered to be outside normally acceptable viewing distances for football. West Ham are hoping to bring some of these seats back into commission next season, to take capacity up to 67,000. But they will have to sort out the issue of fans standing first. As it is, their capacity this season is supposed to be 60K but the council are limiting capacity to 57K until fans can be made to sit.

As to athletics events, I believe the capacity will still be in excess of 70K.
How does people standing at the front make the seats at the back within an except able view of the pitch, if they were to sit down ?

What is the obsession with our stadium ? I think because we got such a good deal, other fans feel aggrieved.

My experience as a season ticket holder for 20 years.

Transport -

Upton Park : I had to drive from where I live (Dartford) ... Blackwall tunnel was often a nightmare and could take me up to 2 hours, especially if there was an accident. Getting the train/tube would take just as long - have to get a train to London and a tube. Sod that. 3/10

O/S - I live less than a couple miles away from Ebbsfleet International. From there it's 1 stop to Stratford. That takes 10 mins. From my couch to my seat at O/S I could do it in 30 mins. 10/10

---

The stadium -

Upton Park - Upton Park was a decent enough stadium, nothing special but my home for many years so of course theres a bit of a bond. Toilets were rank and always ques, no chance of bothering to get a beer or drink in the stadium at half time. 6/10

O/S - it's amazing, absolutely huge. Feels like I'm at a cup final more than a home match. Of corse will take time to adjust. Toilets are huge and no ques. Can easily get a beer and so much more space to walk around inside the ground. 9/10

---

The Atmosphere

Upton Park - electric when playing a London derby or one of the big boys like yourself. Other than that, it was dead, no different to any other Prem club now days. 7/10

O/S - Atmosphere has been fine, hard to fully judge as the football has been God awful and we've not played a 'big' team yet - but obviously with nearly double the amount of fans it's loud. Hearing 50,000+ fans singing bubbles is a nice feeling. There's has been some overblown issues, some fans refusing to sit and policing hasn't been great. Where I sit. I've had no issues.

8/10

---

The View -

Upton Park - I couldn't of had it any better, upper tier of doc martens stand right next to the media. Felt so close to pitch. 10/10

O/S - my view is fine. It is further away and lower than at U/P, but no way was I expecting to have it that good. I think if your sat in the gods it must be a struggle. But being lower tier around pitch is absolutely fine. 7/10

---

The Area -

Upton Park - hate to say, it's horrible. Which is such a shame. There's nothing there, a few run down pubs that were closing way before the move and just a high street, betting shops, chicken shops and foreign market shops. 3/10

Stratford - Westfield is very nice. Shopping centre is fine. Has plenty of places to eat and drink. Found a sports cafe which was good and a bar called the cow - there's plenty of places to go to eat and drink - outside the ground, much nice vans with much more choice. Pizza, Fish n chips, hot dogs etc. All pricey but no more than the rip off vans at Upton Park. The walkway to the ground I find really nice. 9/10

----

Conclusion :

Still a lot of teething issues that need to be resolved but social media and forums making it sound a lot worse than it is - performances and results are not helping. For me personally, the transport, area, stadium is much better than Upton Park. My view is fine and the atmosphere is fine. I'm a happy hammer (just need them to start f*cking winning)

How does people standing at the front make the seats at the back within an except able view of the pitch, if they were to sit down ?

It doesn't! It's just typical health and safety nonsense. The council are using their power to deny increased capacity to put pressure on West Ham to enforce no standing rules. Other councils elsewhere in the country have, in the past, threatened to close certain areas of certain stadia for the same reason.

The issue is causing a lot of unnecessary aggro and discontent. The sooner that safe standing areas are reintroduced for the Premier League, the better.

What is the obsession with our stadium ? I think because we got such a good deal, other fans feel aggrieved.

My experience as a season ticket holder for 20 years.

Transport -

Upton Park : I had to drive from where I live (Dartford) ... Blackwall tunnel was often a nightmare and could take me up to 2 hours, especially if there was an accident. Getting the train/tube would take just as long - have to get a train to London and a tube. Sod that. 3/10

O/S - I live less than a couple miles away from Ebbsfleet International. From there it's 1 stop to Stratford. That takes 10 mins. From my couch to my seat at O/S I could do it in 30 mins. 10/10

---

The stadium -

Upton Park - Upton Park was a decent enough stadium, nothing special but my home for many years so of course theres a bit of a bond. Toilets were rank and always ques, no chance of bothering to get a beer or drink in the stadium at half time. 6/10

O/S - it's amazing, absolutely huge. Feels like I'm at a cup final more than a home match. Of corse will take time to adjust. Toilets are huge and no ques. Can easily get a beer and so much more space to walk around inside the ground. 9/10

---

The Atmosphere

Upton Park - electric when playing a London derby or one of the big boys like yourself. Other than that, it was dead, no different to any other Prem club now days. 7/10

O/S - Atmosphere has been fine, hard to fully judge as the football has been God awful and we've not played a 'big' team yet - but obviously with nearly double the amount of fans it's loud. Hearing 50,000+ fans singing bubbles is a nice feeling. There's has been some overblown issues, some fans refusing to sit and policing hasn't been great. Where I sit. I've had no issues.

8/10

---

The View -

Upton Park - I couldn't of had it any better, upper tier of doc martens stand right next to the media. Felt so close to pitch. 10/10

O/S - my view is fine. It is further away and lower than at U/P, but no way was I expecting to have it that good. I think if your sat in the gods it must be a struggle. But being lower tier around pitch is absolutely fine. 7/10

---

The Area -

Upton Park - hate to say, it's horrible. Which is such a shame. There's nothing there, a few run down pubs that were closing way before the move and just a high street, betting shops, chicken shops and foreign market shops. 3/10

Stratford - Westfield is very nice. Shopping centre is fine. Has plenty of places to eat and drink. Found a sports cafe which was good and a bar called the cow - there's plenty of places to go to eat and drink - outside the ground, much nice vans with much more choice. Pizza, Fish n chips, hot dogs etc. All pricey but no more than the rip off vans at Upton Park. The walkway to the ground I find really nice. 9/10

----

Conclusion :

Still a lot of teething issues that need to be resolved but social media and forums making it sound a lot worse than it is - performances and results are not helping. For me personally, the transport, area, stadium is much better than Upton Park. My view is fine and the atmosphere is fine. I'm a happy hammer (just need them to start f*cking winning)
I never got the argument that tickets could be too cheap ,but what you have done to fill the stadium is fill it with cheap tickets and already its coming home to bite you .if the kids don't want to go no problem its only a fiver .
Estimates on your own site kumb had estimates of between 5,000 /10,000 empty sold seats yesterday on a nice ssunny day ,what's it going to be like in winter ?
And yes we have our no shows same as any club no denying that but % wise its a lot to pack in so soon after a few games

They need safe standing at that ground. Think Brady and co are to blame for at lot of current the issues at the stadium.

Seats do look a bit to far of the pitch for my taste

On a different note how good does Spurs proposed stadium look

tottenham-hotspur-stadium-520x313.jpg

When has any architects pictures lookid like the end product?

LOL.

It doesn't! It's just typical health and safety nonsense. The council are using their power to deny increased capacity to put pressure on West Ham to enforce no standing rules. Other councils elsewhere in the country have, in the past, threatened to close certain areas of certain stadia for the same reason.

The issue is causing a lot of unnecessary aggro and discontent. The sooner that safe standing areas are reintroduced for the Premier League, the better.
No mate what I'm saying is if the seats are too far away at the back now ,if everyone sat stood or did handstands the seats at the back would still be too far away as they carnt be moved nearer the pitch

No mate what I'm saying is if the seats are too far away at the back now ,if everyone sat stood or did handstands the seats at the back would still be too far away as they carnt be moved nearer the pitch

Yes, I think I understood what you were saying. That's why I said in response to your question that "It doesn't". People standing at the front (or anywhere else, for that matter) has nothing to do with acceptable viewing distances. It's just being used as a stick by the council to exert pressure on West Ham.

As to West Ham hoping to increase capacity to 67K, that's simply a consequence of them having been surprised by how big the demand for tickets has been. So they've decided that they could sell tickets for some of the tarped off seats after all. They would have to sell them very cheaply, though, I imagine. And they'll probably also have to advertise them as being of a less than optimal view.

It will all be moot, though, unless performances on the pitch improve.

I never got the argument that tickets could be too cheap ,but what you have done to fill the stadium is fill it with cheap tickets and already its coming home to bite you .if the kids don't want to go no problem its only a fiver .
Estimates on your own site kumb had estimates of between 5,000 /10,000 empty sold seats yesterday on a nice ssunny day ,what's it going to be like in winter ?
And yes we have our no shows same as any club no denying that but % wise its a lot to pack in so soon after a few games

But I was constantly told we wouldn't come close to selling out the O/S despite the cheap tickets .. Yet we have done and even over 40k last week v Accrington. We have a huge waiting list for season tickets aswell.
If we do only get 40k fans around winter .. So what ? Doesn't bother me. I see pockets of seats at most Prem grounds now. I don't see the issue. So far ... Despite everything. We've had huge attendances and the atmosphere has been fine.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.