Low opinion of the average contractor reinforced by personal experience

bluethrunthru

There are a number of TV programmes that highlight the shortcomings amongst contractors in Britain that we will have all seen.

Professionally I have dealings with many and am left underwhelmed by the workmanship and lack of pride in it and they customer service they display. One man bands, small concerns even larger companies can often be a major let down.

Last summer we had a bulb in the porch keep blowing - called in a local spark in who fixed it but said we could do with a new distribution board. In fairness the DB was a bit aged so we agreed that he would replace it.

All's well and good and in November we had the old boiler replaced. It was planned - an elderly inefficient boiler was replaced with a modern combi. During the course of fitting they were on the DB and found that contractor number one had left things in a potentially lethal state. Nothing was earthed and the standard of finish left a lot to be desired. I was shocked by this and spoke to contractor number one about it who told me it was my fault for letting him leave it in such a state ( not sure of the logic there ) and hung up on me.

I told the 2nd contractor to quote for putting it all right after he had made it safe for now - not bothered about the cost just alarmed that number 1 was prepared to walk off site leaving things in a dangerous state. As 2nd contractor was due back to flush the new system after a few days he said he'd attend to the electrics then.

Since then - about 5 weeks ( I know they will have had an Xmas shut down ) not heard a peep despite me calling and speaking to his wife and leaving messages for him and also e-mailing twice.

Remedy? Contractor 1 has been reported to trading standards - they are dealing with it and have said they will be taking action against the guy. Number 2? Well he gave me a cashflow sob story so I paid him before Xmas - hence I haven't seen him I suppose - I have decided to give him until Monday to get in touch if not HMRC will be getting a call. I have an estimate that states VAT not included and proof I paid him including 20% VAT so I will be telling them I suspect he is doing work and not putting it through his books. See how long he can ignore the tax man.

All I ask is that for a fair days pay I get what is promised in return - nobody fuck me about coz I am not having it.

Mate, after three years of house renovation and improvements. Trust nobody. End of. I had a good experience when they were all under architect supervision although that cost an arm and a leg. When they weren't under supervision they were lying cheating bastards. All I wanted was to pay a reasonable amount for a good job. Not to much you may ask...For all fellow blues who are contractors, builders, sparky's, plumbers, decorators, I am sure that none of this applies to you. I can only speak from experience in the Edinburgh area and frankly it has damaged my views of human decency.

They're known as Tradies here in Oz
Most I've used over the years have been good, but I always ask mate's who they recommend.
I only used one guy from the local paper, he took a $1000 deposit from me and I never saw him again
I did get my money back after reporting him to consumer affairs

So my advice is only use recommendations

You paid in advance?

First bloke needs suing and then putting out of business.

Second bloke, being a plumber, shouldn't be anywhere near your electrics.

Hopefully the first bloke will have action taken against him that prevents him from doing any further electrical work.

The second - I paid them on completion of the installation of the boiler. I haven't paid anything for them to sort the DB issue out - they just need to come back and flush the system to bleed the rads and fix the DB issue. They can go near the electrics as they are heating engineers not plumbers ( also electrical contractors ) qualified and certified to do the job.

Hopefully the first bloke will have action taken against him that prevents him from doing any further electrical work.

The second - I paid them on completion of the installation of the boiler. I haven't paid anything for them to sort the DB issue out - they just need to come back and flush the system to bleed the rads and fix the DB issue. They can go near the electrics as they are heating engineers not plumbers ( also electrical contractors ) qualified and certified to do the job.

That's cleared that up then. Although I wouldn't have paid in full until the job had been completed...The radiators etc etc.

Hope you get it sorted.

Gave me a sob story about cash flow at Xmas.................I should've at least with held 20% as the VAT saying I'll pay on receipt of his invoice - you live you learn

If and when they return to sort the DB (presumably fit a new one?) make sure they will be providing the appropriate certification. You mention that they are electrical contractors, that's fine just make sure they're affiliated to one on the regulatory bodies, NAPIT, NICEIC for instance (you should be able to search the list of members on the relevant website)
If you need any help or advice feel free to message me.

I have had my own Construction business since 1993 and have frequently experienced situations like this. Unfortunately, unless you gte a recommendation and check references etc, you run the risk of being conned.

The average punter will get at least 2 quotes for a job and take the lowest without checking apples for apples. Thinking they are getting a bargain they proceed and thats when the shit starts. Contractor didn't quote for A,B or C - dispute starts and contractor disappears with more than enough money to cover his "expenses"

The client usually ends up paying the amount of the original quote to get his work completed. My work is all on recommendations or word of mouth

I had a plumber come round ( eventually, after promising, and letting us down twice in freezing temps) to fix our 8 year old boiler, he took one look at it, said "naaah, nothing I can do about it, it's gone, it'd be cheaper getting a new one, which we can do for you" packed up his tools and left!
It was sub zero at the time, we had 2 young kids, one just turned one, both ill, his couldn't care less attitude was terrible.
My wife frantically called round her group of friends, luckily, we got one to come round next day, an Indian bloke even though he wasn't well, as this was an emergency, very professional, looked at it, fixed it in less than 1hr, did a mini service, £90 no need for a new boiler! He's on speed dial now, decent plumbers are gold dust!
I had one sparky come round to rewire our kitchen, left him to it as he was my sisters boyfriend, came back later, he'd done half the job, demolished a 4 pack of Stella, and fucked off! Needless to say I told my sister if I saw him again I'd knock him into next week, she ditched him thankfully! I was having a new kitchen put in by a Polish guy, he finished off the job, as well as fitting the kitchen and the tiling, did a fantastic job, cash in hand, very professional.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.