Lucas Hernandez

Wish we just drop a bunch of cash on Atletico's table and run away with Lucas and Gimenez. Lucas-Gimenez partnership will be the dog's bollocks.

I hope this isn't true.

I think we massively miss the point with defenders when it comes to signing them. What we appear to fail to take into account is the fact that defenders often have great seasons because they are playing as part of a team that is set up to offer maximum defensive protection.

We then bring them to City and expose them to a completely different system, lose patience, loan them out and then go and buy the next biggest thing the summer after.

Other than team style, other things that impact on a defenders ability is his physical and technical skills and his mental characteristics (decision making, temperament, defensive discipline, organisational qualities). My issue with buying such a young defender to play first team football is two-fold. Firstly, there isn't a big enough of sample size available to judge his mental capabilities. And secondly, we already have a 22 year old centre back who is prone to the sort of lapses you'd expect from a young player. Can we expect to bring in another similarly aged defender and cope with the likely lapses and mistakes caused by inexperience? Especially when we would be exposing him to a completely different system....certainly in the case of Lucas who is currently playing in a very inflexible, rigid and disciplined system?

In the past we have bought and moved on Savic, Nastasic, Boateng and Mangala. If we do indeed bring in another centre back (presumably to partner Kompany when fit) would we be saying goodbye to Otamendi? Another flavour of the season guy we bought from Valencia after a good season (albeit, he came to prominence by scoring goals in big games as much as he did from his defensive performances).

What happened to actual coaching? Surely Stones, Otamendi, Kompany and probably even Kolarov will look better once we learn to control games more and actually start finishing chances at the other end? Surely they would then come under less pressure? Maybe if we had a competent keeper (Hopefully Ederson is) our current defenders look more confident and come under less scrutiny as we won't be conceding with the only shot on goal we give away.

Just a thought.

Only 26 caps for Atletico.

This lad must be deemed the next Nesta if we are willing to pay €50m

I think that's because he's stuck behind Godin as the LCB.

I do remember him being chucked into a CL semi final 2 or 3 years ago and being incredible despite being a baby back then.

€50m is crazy money for a player who Is definitely not a starter though.

I think that's because he's stuck behind Godin as the LCB.

I do remember him being chucked into a CL semi final 2 or 3 years ago and being incredible despite being a baby back then.

€50m is crazy money for a player who Is definitely not a starter though.

I just think with our record of buying central defenders we gsve to get this absolutely correct.

This lad could be the next Nesta, but a part of me wants us to sign the tried and proven Van Dijk. I don't know.

I trust Pep.

€50m is a lot, but he can also play LB which would mean not having to invest in cover for the position. Obviously there's Kolarov, but still...

I just think with our record of buying central defenders we gsve to get this absolutely correct.

This lad could be the next Nesta, but a part of me wants us to sign the tried and proven Van Dijk. I don't know.

I trust Pep.

Think that's where I stand. I'd prefer Laporte/Bonucci/VVD, and €50m is big money for Lucas, but it's undeniable Pep is an admirer and I'd trust his judgement on this.

I hope this isn't true.

I think we massively miss the point with defenders when it comes to signing them. What we appear to fail to take into account is the fact that defenders often have great seasons because they are playing as part of a team that is set up to offer maximum defensive protection.

We then bring them to City and expose them to a completely different system, lose patience, loan them out and then go and buy the next biggest thing the summer after.

Other than team style, other things that impact on a defenders ability is his physical and technical skills and his mental characteristics (decision making, temperament, defensive discipline, organisational qualities). My issue with buying such a young defender to play first team football is two-fold. Firstly, there isn't a big enough of sample size available to judge his mental capabilities. And secondly, we already have a 22 year old centre back who is prone to the sort of lapses you'd expect from a young player. Can we expect to bring in another similarly aged defender and cope with the likely lapses and mistakes caused by inexperience? Especially when we would be exposing him to a completely different system....certainly in the case of Lucas who is currently playing in a very inflexible, rigid and disciplined system?

In the past we have bought and moved on Savic, Nastasic, Boateng and Mangala. If we do indeed bring in another centre back (presumably to partner Kompany when fit) would we be saying goodbye to Otamendi? Another flavour of the season guy we bought from Valencia after a good season (albeit, he came to prominence by scoring goals in big games as much as he did from his defensive performances).

What happened to actual coaching? Surely Stones, Otamendi, Kompany and probably even Kolarov will look better once we learn to control games more and actually start finishing chances at the other end? Surely they would then come under less pressure? Maybe if we had a competent keeper (Hopefully Ederson is) our current defenders look more confident and come under less scrutiny as we won't be conceding with the only shot on goal we give away.

Just a thought.

What happened to actual coaching? Come on you can do better than that old tired cliche.

You think Pep is going to bring him in and NOT coach him? Guardiolas coaching is a finite respurce and we want to maximise that by getting players who will be young enough to learn it quickly and who will stay here long after he's gone to carry it on, like Pique has at Barcelona. Why waste a year of coaching on Kolarov before he gets released?

As for systems and scouting...it's Guardiola. He's a fucking nut about details and scouting and analysis so I'm sure he's done enough especially since he wanted him last summer too.

Lastly, Mangala came from a team playing a very high line, and struggled playing a high line here. Nastasic came from a classic deeper Italian defence and struggled playing a high line here. When it comes to CBs and us, how your old team played doesn't really mean much IMO, but it's reassuring to know that any kid who's been coached by someone will have good fundamental defending skills to build on.

I trust Pep.
Maybe we could get both Lucas and Van Dijk and sell Kolarov. Lucas can cover both CB and LB.

Which will leave us with Kompany, Stones, Otamendi, Lucas, Van Dijk. This might seem like too many CBs but after last season I don't think Pep wants to take any chances with Kompany anymore. Moreover I think we will play more 3 at the back formations next season which means having more CB is good.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.