M6 Toll

tbf you'd probably saved that in fuel sat in the M6 car park on a busy day

Its the best stretch of motorway in the country by a long way. All motorways should be tolled in my opinion then its a fair tax, and the roads are better maintained. The more miles you drive the more you pay whereas you pay a flat fee now regardless of many miles you drive (depending on type of car). Eg two people with the same car pay the same tax, but one does 5k miles a year and one does 25k miles - its not a fair tax.

I drove from Basel-Mulhouse Airport down to Marseille during the last Euros and it cost about €30 which I remember thinking was a bit steep, but the roads were fantastic, traffic wasn't a concern, and there were no road works, anywhere.

The difference between that is Basel Airport to Marseille is about 450 miles and the M6 Toll is 27 miles. So I paid about 7p per mile compared to 25p per mile at the £6.70 rate it now costs. This is the problem with PFI schemes in this country.

Its the best stretch of motorway in the country by a long way. All motorways should be tolled in my opinion then its a fair tax, and the roads are better maintained. The more miles you drive the more you pay whereas you pay a flat fee now regardless of many miles you drive (depending on type of car). Eg two people with the same car pay the same tax, but one does 5k miles a year and one does 25k miles - its not a fair tax.

You can achieve much the same "fairness" by simply taxing fuel and nothing else.

Got a polluting, gas-guzzling car? Pay more tax. Got a newer, cleaner, fuel efficient car; pay less.
Do loads of miles, pay more. Do fewer, pay less.

Taxing vehicles by CO2 bands makes absolutely no sense. A Ford Fiesta driven 50,000 miles in a year, emits far more CO2 than a Bentley which does 3,000 and sits in the garage most of the time. Now you may want to tax the rich Bentley owner more, but please let's not pretend it's about CO2 emissions.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.