M60 "Smart Motorway".

Andy Dale

Work has begun on the M62/M60 to upgrade it to a "smart motorway".
The work is expected to last until summer 2017.
The affected area will be from jtn 20 Rochdale to jtn 8 at Carrington. 17 miles.
I can see the traffic jams being enormous and people will try to escape them via the inner roads causing more traffic misery for thousands. The works won't just affect the motorway. It will ruin inner roads with the amount of traffic and the air and noise quality for those living on these routes will be ruined for a long time.
A similar scheme was introduced through Leeds a couple of years ago (11 miles) and personally I can't tell the difference as it's still hammered in rush hour.
The work is expected to cost between £190 - £250 million.
Will the congestion be improved in 3 years ?
Will this upgrade benefit the north west economy or destroy it ?

Andy Dale said:
The affected area will be from jtn 20 Rochdale to jtn 8 at Carrington. 17 miles.
I can see the traffic jams being enormous and people will try to escape them via the inner roads causing more traffic misery for thousands. The works won't just affect the motorway. It will ruin inner roads with the amount of traffic and the air and noise quality for those living on these routes will be ruined for a long time.
A similar scheme was introduced through Leeds a couple of years ago (11 miles) and personally I can't tell the difference as it's still hammered in rush hour.

That section near Leeds is a pain in the arse. There are speed cameras on nearly every gantry. If you come up the M1 there are roadworks with average speed cameras then as soon as you get on the M62 heading for Manchester you're on the "smart motorway" with fixed Gatso style cameras every mile.

stony said:
Andy Dale said:

That section near Leeds is a pain in the arse. There are speed cameras on nearly every gantry. If you come up the M1 there are roadworks with average speed cameras then as soon as you get on the M62 heading for Manchester you're on the "smart motorway" with fixed Gatso style cameras every mile.
But of course they are there to aid smooth traffic and stop accidents.

I can't believe for a minute they are spending £250 million on the M60 to raise more revenue for the ten councils

"Upgrading" more bollocks speak to try and con it's an improvement,the speed limits will go up up and down every other gantry to empty your wallet and the hard shoulder will all but disappear,,the biggest improvement to the m60 would be to bulldoze the trafford centre,a lot off tossers going shopping cause chaos.

Skashion said:
BlueBearBoots said:
Errr what's a "smart motorway" ?
You have to score in the 99th percentile or above in an IQ test to be able to go on it. I think it's a great idea.

Ahh right thought it was just for women drivers :)

It's ridiculous. Yes if course that stretch of the motorway is busy in rush hour, but I don't think it's that bad and I use it every day! These smart motorway systems are an absolute pain in the arse. Years of average speed cameras, lane closures and for what? To save a few minutes off a daily commute into work?

what they mean by smart motorway is, a section of road that is constantly monitored by CCTV cameras, fitted with huge signage everywhere and ultimately restricted to 50mph in rush hour, all again monitored by speed cameras

They've done it on the M25, M6, M1 & M62 and for some reason seem to think it works in keeping the traffic moving. Its the sheer numbers of motorists on the motorways that is the problem.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.