Madrid

Richard

Off there in a couple of weeks.

Anyone any advice on places to go etc - Bernabeau is of course a given.

Richard said:
Off there in a couple of weeks.

Anyone any advice on places to go etc - Bernabeau is of course a given.

Brother was there a couple of years back,I'm going to his tonight,so i'll ask him for you.

Went with the Mrs mate last March for my birthday,the weekend we lost at Chelsea,watched it in a pub,the locals thought I was a fucking nutter,screaming at screen

But anyway back to Madrid

Get on the metro system for any mooching about,you cant go wrong,as long as you have a little map,which are free from everywhere,as you say the Bernabeau is a must,again on the metro to the ground,walk up the steps and bang its there,great tour/ground

Didnt bother with any museums or out as its not our cup of tea,but there are loads,went to the palace,and had a few hours in that area,loads of mime artists etc which was fun

Beware as in most cities however for pickpockets/beggars,I was sat outside this cafe just having a smoke and a drink,when this **** came upto me,senor senor,he soon got told to fuck off,mithering bastard,but in all honesty I have never seen as many beggars on the streets anywhere,and I mean everywhere

Plenty places to eat as you would expect,Gran Via,Sol,Opera main places to get off metro in centre we found

Take an umbrella and some warm clothes, it'll either be pissing it down or freezing cold this time of year.
There 's a beautiful medieval square where all the tourists go to sit down have a beer and tapas. Avoid this place as it costs a fucking fortune
Ten years ago, four halves of beer and a plate of stale bread and hard cheese was £50

meeesh said:
Beware as in most cities however for pickpockets/beggars,I was sat outside this cafe just having a smoke and a drink,when this **** came upto me,senor senor,he soon got told to fuck off,mithering bastard,but in all honesty I have never seen as many beggars on the streets anywhere,and I mean everywhere

Havana was the worst I have ever seen.You feel sorry for them at first but after 20 minutes it really fucks you off.They beg for random things aswell like shampoo and lipstick.A copper/security guard was even asking us for money so she could get a drink!

staffs_blue said:
meeesh said:

Havana was the worst I have ever seen.You feel sorry for them at first but after 20 minutes it really fucks you off.They beg for random things aswell like shampoo and lipstick.A copper/security guard was even asking us for money so she could get a drink!

Never been there mate...but did you sort em out with some lipstick then ? :)

meeesh said:
staffs_blue said:
meeesh said:

Never been there mate...but did you sort em out with some lipstick then ? :)

It was a weekday and i only wear it at weekends so I had none on me unfortunately....... ;o)

I lived in Madrid a few years ago, so things might have changed.
The Bernabeu is good to visit, especially the museum, but if you want atmosphere at the game, forget it. Get yourself down to Rayo Vallecano in the Vallecas area. Top atmosphere! You could also try Atletico for a good experience.
As someone said, don't go for a drink in Plaza Mayor, as it'll cost you a fortune. Good for photos though!
If you're looking for bars or places to eat, stay off the main streets and find a bar that's got used napkins on the floor. These are the ones the locals drink and eat in, and the more napkins on the floor, the busier and better they are (and cheaper!).
The Metro system is great, but you miss out on seeing a lot of the city, so walking is your best bet if you want to do the tourist thingy.
I can't help you with late night bars and that, as most of the ones I frequented have shut down (visited a couple of years ago), but remember that Mahou is the best beer, and on your way home after drinking, pop into a cafe and order a Chocolate con Churros. The best hot chocolate in the world!
There's loads to see and do, depending on what you're into, but you probably won't manage everything anyway.

Just make sure you enjoy the place. It's a wonderful city.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.