Maine Road,

what used to make me laugh was that everyone stood in the kippax in the same spot every game,god help you if you stood in anyones place, oi mate thats my place i stand there every match,so you would move one step sideways then all was ok,great days

coms is a fantastic stadium and things move on,but i really miss going to maine road.remember my dad taking me to my 1st game,in the kippax in 81 against villa.won 1-0.tuertt.my dad had already taken me to bury,(our nearest team) and to the swamp to see those horrible bastards.he obviously left the best till last.as soon as i got in maine road i loved it,as keegen would say! last time was there played in the charity match for prestwich n whitefield supporters club against merseyside branch.1 of the best days of my life! happy happy memories of maine road,moss side,manchester!

God that video is emotional! I have some unbelievable memories of Maine Road. Went back a couple of years ago before it was completely knocked down and I felt so sad. My best childhood years were spent at Platt Lane in the school holidays watching the players train before nipping over to the souveneir shop to buy christmas or birthday presents. Then as I got older having a cheeky underage drink in the sherwood, pre and post match with my dad, then on to the old shambles in town (before the bomb) to celebrate after a win. The first game that I remember going to was in 92/93 I think when I would have been 8 or 9, we sat in the Maine Stand (I insisted because I hated standing in the Kippax, how things change!) We beat Coventry 1-0, Garry Flitcroft scored and therefore became my favourite player, right up until the day he left for Blackburn. The mesmerising green of the pitch under the floodlights and my younger brother falling asleep for the entirety of the game are my abiding memories. I remember standing on the Kippax for Franny Lee's first game as chairman in the re-arranged game against Ipswich with binnoculars, what optimism, Rockys drag-back on the touchline had me open mouthed and then we all saw ourselves on Match of the Day at the night. I even recall Tony Gubba was commentating.
My first season ticket, 95-96 in the new kippax, the year of Oasis, Kinkladze and ultimately relegation. Some dark but very amusing years followed. While at college I couldn't afford to go so I got a job working on the turnstiles for the final two years at Maine Road, and what great years they were! Getting the bus from picadilly early saturday morning, seeing the ground empty and then fill up steadily and smelling THAT smell. I got to see the club from the inside, met all the players and celebrity fans and witnessed some brilliant football. On the last day against Southampton I was the one who let a load of ticketless fans in at the North Stand,knowing that it would be my last ever shift. My dad and brother got threw out at half time! I've got some brilliant pictures from that day, the most poignant being the 'exit' sign above the door as i left Maine Road for the last ever time. I know we have to move on, I have had a season ticket at COMs with my two brothers and my dad since we made the move in 2003 and the future is really bright but through the good times and bad at Maine Road, that was what made me blue, and looking back on it all now....even the bad times were good.

I play football at Platt Lane every Monday after work, I work in the City centre so I drive past Maine Road to get there. It's always a little depressing to drive down the streets I remember wlaking down as a kid, and as an adult, on my way to the match only to turn the corner and see a big green fence and no Kippax stand looming over the top of it. Makes me sad just thinking about it.

i just openend the first real chippy in malta painted it blue outside with signed city shirts on the wall n loads of city stuff!!!!!!!!!!!! feel free to send me city stuff to put in there!!!!!! lol

maltablue said:
i just openend the first real chippy in malta painted it blue outside with signed city shirts on the wall n loads of city stuff!!!!!!!!!!!! feel free to send me city stuff to put in there!!!!!! lol

i got a signed michael frontzeck sticker urs if u want it, neil heaney and kakhaber tskhadadze panini stickers 2!!!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.