Malt whisky drinkers: Did you start with blends and has anybody gone back to them?

Magicpole

Team supported
Celtic
My first foray into the world of whisky started with blends and lemonade. I decided Grouse was the best and carried on with that until I was 22 and working in a school with a couple if old fellas.

A bottle of whisky was handed in and as we sat in the bothy I mentioned I took lemonade in mine.

You would have thought I took a shit on the table, such was their disgust.

"Lemonade in your fucking whisky? What are you a poof?"

I had to drink it with water and I have to admit I didn't inmediately fall in love with this.

But, after a few, I git it and never took lemonade again.

I carried on with Grouse and one ice cube up until a girlfriend got me a bottle of Glenmorangie. pronounced not Glen Mor Angie, but Glen Moran jay. A malt snob pointed this out to me when I said it and I wouldn't want you to fall into the same trap. Told the **** to fuck off so all was well, but I never forgot it.

But the firs sip. Ah the first sip.

It was like entering a new world. It tasted unbelievably good.

I now have about 50 different bottles of different but brilliant malts.

I have never had a blend since that first mouthful and I probably never will.

You just can't go back in my view.

Anybody else the same?

Last edited:
I used to drink Ballantines, then I moved to Chivas, then to Jamesons.
Now I've had a bottle of Jamesons in the cupboard for about three years.
I'm a beer man.

Blended whisky is the stuff of the devil, I always hated whisky as I thought they all tasted like Bells or some such devil's spunk. Then I was introduced to single malts, not even in the same league, hardly even the same sport, the fact that single malts are even equated to blends is a scandal. I'd never go back.

Blended whisky is the stuff of the devil, I always hated whisky as I thought they all tasted like Bells or some such devil's spunk. Then I was introduced to single malts, not even in the same league, hardly even the same sport, the fact that single malts are even equated to blends is a scandal. I'd never go back.

Cannot be done.

Re Bells. As a 14 year old at a Hogmany party in our house, I decided when everyone was arguing like fuck to have a swig out of the bottle

I nearly died as I coughed mid gulp and inhaled the vile shite. It came down my nose and that smell stayed with me until the spring.

I also got grabbed by my dad and marched to my room with a tirade of sweary words. Miserable old ****. Everybody else was pissing themselves.

Apart from me obviously.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.