Malt whisky drinkers: Did you start with blends and has anybody gone back to them?

Ha ha, i'm not a whisky snob at all, I just hate blends, taste awful, holidaying in Scotland you get spoilt for choice with all the quality malts on offer though, great to spend an afternoon or two going through them all in a pub with a good selection, I rank blended whisky alongside Tequila as alcoholic arse water.
Whiskey Jar in town (Tariff St.) makes a point of maintaining a great range: Scandinavian, Icelandic, Japanese etc. included. I started on Jack Daniels/Jamesons from nights out - tried with ice (Jamesons) a couple times when offered but just ruined it. I've probably had a JD and coke as nights have gone on but to mix a whiskey with coke has never crossed my mind sober.

Part of the enjoyment of single malts is taking them straight to taste as is. If cask strength, water down to taste is great but altering otherwise you aren't tasting as the distillery thought best, so when comparing whiskies, it's unreliable.

Last edited:
The thing is many of the cheaper blends are mostly grain whisky with a small proportion of malted barley whiskey thrown in. Grain whiskey is shite.

If you are willing to pay the price there are some really good blends such as Chivas 18 or even Dewars 18. This type of whiskey is blended with only single malts over 18 years. They are no comparison to a mixture of grain and malt.

Having said that I love anything from Islay. Most of the Jap stuff is good as well, I think it's Yamazaki that uses imported Scottish barley.

In truth, anything but yank piss.

The thing is many of the cheaper blends are mostly grain whisky with a small proportion of malted barley whiskey thrown in. Grain whiskey is shite.

If you are willing to pay the price there are some really good blends such as Chivas 18 or even Dewars 18. This type of whiskey is blended with only single malts over 18 years. They are no comparison to a mixture of grain and malt.

Having said that I love anything from Islay. Most of the Jap stuff is good as well, I think it's Yamazaki that uses imported Scottish barley.

In truth, anything but yank piss.
You've tried Yank piss? Are you german?

Teachers Highland Cream is one of the best blends and it's dirt cheap. You can usually find it for about £16 a litre and it has a very high malt content of around 45%. It's better than some of the more expensive blends and better than some single malts.
My biggest gripe with whisky these days is the manufacturers putting in caramel for colour. Even some of the single malt manufacturers do this and there is no need. It's why when you look on the whisky shelf in the supermarket they are all exactly the same colour.

Teachers Highland Cream is one of the best blends and it's dirt cheap. You can usually find it for about £16 a litre and it has a very high malt content of around 45%. It's better than some of the more expensive blends and better than some single malts.
My biggest gripe with whisky these days is the manufacturers putting in caramel for colour. Even some of the single malt manufacturers do this and there is no need. It's why when you look on the whisky shelf in the supermarket they are all exactly the same colour.
Certainly imaginable with the blends. Would you not be able to tell with the 3 year olds since they shouldn't be all that coloured? Doing that to anything older than 3 would be daft imo unless that's the flavour they're going for.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.