Pep - Manager of the Season 2017/18

The history of development in the English game - our greatest gift to the world (perhaps after our legal system?) - is frankly embarrassing and it is still not hard to see why.

Mind you, I had the rare pleasure of being with the away support at Spurs - most of the away games I've been to this season have necessitated me sitting in with the home fans - so I was surrounded by a different set of City fans to the lovely folk that have been neighbours the seats went into the Kippax. Someone behind me clearly said that he could never get used to us playing it around at the back and he clearly was not alone in being panicked by that approach. TBF, we can probably all pick moments where a good hoof would have been the best option, but as the exception rather than the rule.

As to Dyche, what little I have seen of Burnley speaks of a well organised, very hard working team that plays the percentages. From limited knowledge of them, I would say his biggest achievement is getting the work rate and commitment out of his players. Top notch organisation and hard work can produce a good season for a team and can be enough to keep a team up but does it often keep a team punching above its weight for a really extended period? Is there anything very clever about it? Sure, it can be a job well done but it doesn't usually come with thrilling football.

What Guardiola has done still is not, IMO, getting enough praise and recognition. I just hope he can demonstrate his motivational skills by getting his players to win five consecutive dead rubbers: that might be one of his biggest achievements yet!

FWIW, I think Guardiola is the most likely winner of the award but the fact we are debating alternatives shows how daft football can be here (or how paranoid we all are).

Dyche seems to have got his bunch of one dimensional troglodytes, fitter than some of the other similar/identical teams we have seen in recent seasons.

Let's hope Neil Warnock hasn't figured out his secret.

As to Dyche, what little I have seen of Burnley speaks of a well organised, very hard working team that plays the percentages. From limited knowledge of them, I would say his biggest achievement is getting the work rate and commitment out of his players. Top notch organisation and hard work can produce a good season for a team and can be enough to keep a team up but does it often keep a team punching above its weight for a really extended period? Is there anything very clever about it? Sure, it can be a job well done but it doesn't usually come with thrilling football.
Nothing for me.
But I can understand the public fascination with Burnley. They're using very simple British style, so their playing model is 'gettable' for every spectator and perhaps is liked by those who values traditions. And they are punching above their weight having fairly likable manager. What's not to like? Same story as with Iceland NT.

And soon as the results wane, everyone will forget about them. Howe is a better manager that Dyche for me. There are English managers in the Championship that are far more progressive and probably better than him (namely Dean Smith and Chris Wilder).

So far there has only been one manager who has managed to beat filthy rich oil money bags City at the Etihad, he also took four points off the soon to be crowned European champions and has come within a whisker of winning the title but has been let down by very poor refereeing and his own players.
A clear and obvious choice for manager of the year.

That was an interesting article, points per £ brings PEP out on top too!
Eddie Howe at Bournemouth has done well and I really admire what he has done on a budget, year after year, no recognition.... He beats dyche afaic
But how can Pep be ahead of Klopp if the latter has negative net spend, according to the article?

I suppose it was inevitable in these days of FFP that the manager of the year should be the one who gets more points to the pound but it's rather like the team award in F1 going to the car that gts most miles to the gallon. I don't think we have to resort to denying the very real achievements of Eddie Howe, Sean Dyche or any of our other competitors; managing in the PL is far from easy and managers have to work hard and smart just for their teams to stand still. But it remains so obviously true that no-one has come close to getting as much out his players as Pep. As is so often stated, Pep has improved every single player in his squad, from the youngest to the oldest. City may have been the bookies' favourites at the start of the season but no-one ever dreamt that the PL would have all the characteristics of a one horse race by mid September, that City would not only have smashed the record for consecutive PL wins by early December but have increased it by a third by the end of 2017, and that this run would include a unique run of three wins by a 5 goal margin. No-one could quite believe the style with which these records were set - the football was from another world. And we come to decide who to vote for! One candidate has already won the PL - in fewer games that any manager has ever done. By the end of the season his team could have won more games in a season than any other team has ever done. And scored more goals. And won more points. He could thus be manger of the best ever PL team. He is certainly the manager of the year. Unless, of course, they are determined NOT to vote for him...because he doesn't ,manage a London club...because he doesn't manage Manchester United...because he DOES manage Manchester City.

I suppose it was inevitable in these days of FFP that the manager of the year should be the one who gets more points to the pound but it's rather like the team award in F1 going to the car that gts most miles to the gallon. I don't think we have to resort to denying the very real achievements of Eddie Howe, Sean Dyche or any of our other competitors; managing in the PL is far from easy and managers have to work hard and smart just for their teams to stand still. But it remains so obviously true that no-one has come close to getting as much out his players as Pep. As is so often stated, Pep has improved every single player in his squad, from the youngest to the oldest. City may have been the bookies' favourites at the start of the season but no-one ever dreamt that the PL would have all the characteristics of a one horse race by mid September, that City would not only have smashed the record for consecutive PL wins by early December but have increased it by a third by the end of 2017, and that this run would include a unique run of three wins by a 5 goal margin. No-one could quite believe the style with which these records were set - the football was from another world. And we come to decide who to vote for! One candidate has already won the PL - in fewer games that any manager has ever done. By the end of the season his team could have won more games in a season than any other team has ever done. And scored more goals. And won more points. He could thus be manger of the best ever PL team. He is certainly the manager of the year. Unless, of course, they are determined NOT to vote for him...because he doesn't ,manage a London club...because he doesn't manage Manchester United...because he DOES manage Manchester City.

Nailed it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.