Manchester in the 1960s

Manchester-UK-1960s-7-768x508.jpg

Fabulous compared to now

By the time I was going to Manchester in the early to mid 90's it was an absolute shithole. It does look better than now on that photo though.

Manchester-UK-1960s-7-768x508.jpg

Fabulous compared to now

Manchester has been ruined over the last few decades. Compared to now? There isn't a comparison - just the starkest of contrasts.

No Cannon Street, London Road Station has morphed into Piccadilly, It's not even in Piccadilly. And whereTF has Exchange Station gone? NO Lewis's, no Henry's and the Cinephone? Use to catch the 109 outside the Cinephone.

By the time I was going to Manchester in the early to mid 90's it was an absolute shithole. It does look better than now on that photo though.

I used to work on portland st 93-96 and passed through the gardens daily, the gardens were still well kept benches were tatty and fountain never on mind but wasn't a shithole to me, used to sit on the benches at lunch sometimes ,it was just full of little scrotes mugging people and winos though.

Pccadilly plaza was fucking dire and rotten though

Last edited:
It really saddens me when I see old pictures of town, as it was so much better back then. I was born in the mid seventies, but remember as a nipper shopping with my parents at Christmas at Zodiac Toys on the top floor of the Arndale, getting stuck in the piss stinking lifts in the multi storey attached to the indoor market, having my dinner in Spud-U-Like and that big indoor avary full of what looked like sparrows. I'd give anything to go back to them days, they were great. I know you had punks, piss heads and Harry Ramps, but not the horrible little twats and spice heads that we have today. Does anyone remember the tramp with the beard and a piece of plastic bin liner on his head that was full of holes. He used to say it was caused by acid rain and always seemed to be on the bus that went up Rochdale Road towards Moston. I'm getting all nostalgic now.

I used to work on portland st 93-96 and passed through the gardens daily, the gardens were still well kept benches were tatty and fountain never on mind but wasn't a shithole to me, used to sit on the benches at lunch sometimes ,it was just full of little scrotes mugging people and winos though.

Pccadilly plaza was fucking dire and rotten though

Yeah it was probably more about the people you described as opposed to the actual place. I just remember hating going over that way to catch the Finglands to the ground.

Manchester has been ruined over the last few decades. Compared to now? There isn't a comparison - just the starkest of contrasts.

No Cannon Street, London Road Station has morphed into Piccadilly, It's not even in Piccadilly. And whereTF has Exchange Station gone? NO Lewis's, no Henry's and the Cinephone? Use to catch the 109 outside the Cinephone.
No underground market, no Robinson's Records, no Paperchase, no Odeon on Oxford Rd (not even in the Printworks any more), no Brentford Nylons on the corner of Piccadilly and Portland St, no Piccadilly Radio reception in the bottom of the Piccadilly Hotel in the Plaza; the list goes on, and on, and on.....

No underground market, no Robinson's Records, no Paperchase, no Odeon on Oxford Rd (not even in the Printworks any more), no Brentford Nylons on the corner of Piccadilly and Portland St, no Piccadilly Radio reception in the bottom of the Piccadilly Hotel in the Plaza; the list goes on, and on, and on.....
No Tommy Ducks either. One of those photos shows the back of the pub.

Bringing back memories there.
I bet all the pet shops have gone on Tib st too.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.