Manchester is under going huge growth

Manchester city centre is growing and more rectangular glass sky scrappers are coming, and that is all good,
but the likes of clayton, Gorton, longsight, blackley, crumpsall etc are still desperate for regeneration, the City may be getting better but the actual places Mancunians are living in are not seeing as much of that.
Also we are Greater Mamchester and bar mini improvements a lot of work needs doing to renew the other towns, and link them to the Citys prosperity.
If we really want to be a powerhouse like London or any major City we need to expand our business investments and share them throughout the boroughs creating a wider and more properous County with a fast, modern transport system conecting Bolton, Stockport, Bury, Oldham, Rochdale Salford run under one banner not franchises, and build an underground where the metrolink cannot reach.

Totally agree. Whilst I'm in awe of the scale of developments taking off in Manchester (the skyscrapers, the new central villages etc etc) there is still a lot of neglect in the 'outer doughnut' (and indeed further out field). New Cross and Ancoats; Angel Meadows; the new St. Johns village on the old Granada site (incredible); the area around Chester Road (indeed linking the City Centre to the Quays) all rapidly expanding the central area and creating new places to live (erm, if you're minted) but other places (like the ones you mention) are not seeing any of that, and in some instances are going backwards. Look at somewhere like Withington at the moment (cheek by jowl with Didsbury)...it looks knackered and unloved (save for a few good businesses) at the moment.
The transport links are also a few miles away from world class. I know Sir Howard Bernstein referenced the need for an underground within 10 years, but I've no idea how and where this will be implemented...but the sheer number of residents moving to the city will only increase the gridlock and set the city back when it should be flying.

The city centre and inner ring surrounding are undergoing huge growth without a doubt.
The traditional Mancunia suburbs esp in the north of the city are dying on their arses...I'm getting out.

Cheers - is this a known proposal? There's a few projects around there (and the Greengate area, where Pep lives, is going up quicker than an inflatable dinghy).
Last I heard the planners had bumped the scheme proposal, doesn't mean it's gone away, but it was aesthetically awful.
They will pretty it up and resubmit.

I work in construction and i'm loving it, I have to know about all the major projects. The BCEGI project in salford is currently on phase 1, and phase 3 is for a skyscraper. Salford Council want it to be the biggest in Manchester. Hilton 47 storey, The Renaker one will be the biggest soon at around 54 and then this one will be bigger. They say about 4 years left of all of these apartments going up. Unfortunately most are for rent with only a few going up for sale. But its great to see Manchester growing and the City centre seems to be expanding into Salford now

I work in construction and i'm loving it, I have to know about all the major projects. The BCEGI project in salford is currently on phase 1, and phase 3 is for a skyscraper. Salford Council want it to be the biggest in Manchester. Hilton 47 storey, The Renaker one will be the biggest soon at around 54 and then this one will be bigger. They say about 4 years left of all of these apartments going up. Unfortunately most are for rent with only a few going up for sale. But its great to see Manchester growing and the City centre seems to be expanding into Salford now

64! not 54!

Got a couple on the drawing board at the moment, and they are essentially 20 year buildings....wouldn't touch them as a buyer.
Once their yield value has been reached for the developers, i.e rents, they will be in a sorry state for resale, and most probably become housing association dumps.

My dads gauge to growth is how many cranes can you see, if there are plenty you are doing alright. No idea how accurate that is as a rule of thumb but it sounds logically sound in it's premise.

I think Manchester is a fantastic City now and i have seen a fair few. Having a beer and burger outside at Solita where 15 years ago you would be offered services by women and offered stolen credit cards 'got 200 quid on it and about 4 hours before it goes mate'. It has changed a lot haha.

My dads gauge to growth is how many cranes can you see, if there are plenty you are doing alright. No idea how accurate that is as a rule of thumb but it sounds logically sound in it's premise.

I think Manchester is a fantastic City now and i have seen a fair few. Having a beer and burger outside at Solita where 15 years ago you would be offered services by women and offered stolen credit cards 'got 200 quid on it and about 4 hours before it goes mate'. It has changed a lot haha.
The 'Crane Index' is a long standing (well. late 80's) tool for comparing growth between cities.
Enjoy your burgers!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.