Manchester Storm - Ice Hockey

Why Always Ste

Was completely unaware that they had reformed.

I knew about Manchester Phoenix playing at Altrincham Ice Dome but was unaware that The Storm had recently reformed and nowplay there.

Recent match highlights:

Fixtures:
http://manchesterstorm.com/fixtures/

Enjoyed going to the Nynex/MEN Arena as a kid to watch Ice Hockey there.
A little unsure about missioning to Altrincham though on a regular basis :/

Might go along and catch the odd game, would be enticed more if they had a Ice rink at the Etihad Campus and they played in Sky Blue :D

I never went to the Storm games, but remember - along with the basketball - when they played at the MEN Arena that yes they had thousands going but most were on free tickets. Once the free tickets stopped, so did the ''fans''.
Problem was half the time they'd be playing on a midweek game going well past 10pm with extra time...... really not appealing to parents with school kids going along.....
I would listen occasionally to commentary on GMR and it was ''YMCA'' and ''We Will Rock You'' every 4 minutes - style over substance.
No idea how they remain professional on the crowds they get (assume they are pro) - dont wish them any harm but still can't see it ever taking off in the UK

Was completely unaware that they had reformed.

I knew about Manchester Phoenix playing at Altrincham Ice Dome but was unaware that The Storm had recently reformed and nowplay there.

Recent match highlights:

Fixtures:
http://manchesterstorm.com/fixtures/

Enjoyed going to the Nynex/MEN Arena as a kid to watch Ice Hockey there.
A little unsure about missioning to Altrincham though on a regular basis :/

Might go along and catch the odd game, would be enticed more if they had a Ice rink at the Etihad Campus and they played in Sky Blue :D

Used to go to watch them at the arena, been a couple of times this season. Still good fun. Manchester Phoenix are planning to build a rink in the city centre, can't see them raising enough funds tbh.

They got at one point 20,000 fans! Yet they still went out of business....
As I said above, vast majority of tickets were freebies to schools and offices. I worked in the city centre and the bloke on reception received a good handful for each game to pass around (I declined each time).
How much was it to hire the MEN Arena each night and give the majority of tickets away for free?

I never went to the Storm games, but remember - along with the basketball - when they played at the MEN Arena that yes they had thousands going but most were on free tickets. Once the free tickets stopped, so did the ''fans''.
Problem was half the time they'd be playing on a midweek game going well past 10pm with extra time...... really not appealing to parents with school kids going along.....
I would listen occasionally to commentary on GMR and it was ''YMCA'' and ''We Will Rock You'' every 4 minutes - style over substance.
No idea how they remain professional on the crowds they get (assume they are pro) - dont wish them any harm but still can't see it ever taking off in the UK

They got at one point 20,000 fans! Yet they still went out of business....

As I said above, vast majority of tickets were freebies to schools and offices. I worked in the city centre and the bloke on reception received a good handful for each game to pass around (I declined each time).
How much was it to hire the MEN Arena each night and give the majority of tickets away for free?

Came across this thread by total chance, but heres some details anyway.

They are a professional team. The Elite League is the top level of ice hockey in the UK. Storm playing now in Altrincham which is a capacity 2,200 ice rink they need 1,800 fans per home game to make it financially possible. At the moment they are getting around 1,200 so its not totally impossible to do.

As for the old NYNEX/MEN days. Yeah most of the tickets were free or promotions. They did have decent crowds though around 4/5,000 but according to reports the MEN was charging around £16,000 per month to use the arena, that is never going to work out well unless them 18,000 crowds were all paying, but they weren't.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.