Manchester Storm - Ice Hockey

City really need to get in on this, Storm players are regularly being tweeted by United and going for tours around OT. We seem to be missing out with this.

Last night they had Justin Bieber playing a game of hockey with them, He may be a dick but its a PR dream to have someone with 89m twitter followers tweeting about it.
That's disappointing to see re: that lot.

Last edited:
Looks like Manchester Phoenix may have folded, or at least there owner has walked away.

Last week they released all there imports due to lack of cash, those players only found out by reading the press release!

Looks like Manchester Phoenix may have folded, or at least there owner has walked away.

Last week they released all there imports due to lack of cash, those players only found out by reading the press release!
https://www.manchesterphoenix.co.uk/news/2850/end-era

I more expected them to fold at some point than carry on but not this soon - they never really had the allure of the Storm for me and I suspect many others. Not much of a professional statement that, looks like he's upset a lot with social media comments within the club which has probably partly been his downfall - sounds like he should have got Gordon Ramsey in!

Thing is, the "social media holocasuct" he's talking about was fuled by his own players who took to social media to vent about the fact they hadn't been paid for 6 weeks and that the imports they released only found out by reading the press release.

It was a big surprise that silver blades ( Widnes ) let them back in for the rest of the season after the nasty split from alti. There are rumours ( or hopes? ) that silver blades may buy them and have them as a lower league team along with alti aces.

Thing is, the "social media holocasuct" he's talking about was fuled by his own players who took to social media to vent about the fact they hadn't been paid for 6 weeks and that the imports they released only found out by reading the press release.

It was a big surprise that silver blades ( Widnes ) let them back in for the rest of the season after the nasty split from alti. There are rumours ( or hopes? ) that silver blades may buy them and have them as a lower league team along with alti aces.
Ah, don't know much about their problems but I'd think locating a Manchester team by the river Mersey wouldn't do them any financial favours - is that really the nearest after Altrincham? I guess that's why they were after building their own?

My first game back seeing the Storm was new years day against the Steelers - great atmosphere and packed out. I don't know what the average attendances have been but if Manchester council built a rink somewhere central I would think it'd be financially sound for the council, great for the Storm and great for the fans across Manchester that struggle to drive down there regularly for it.

One of the obvious reasons I can see why Ice Hockey has probably struggled over here is the sheer amount of games and it'll always come second to football for the vast majority across Europe when it comes to which they'll be attending if there's a fixture clash.

Last edited:
The steelers match was a full sell out which was excellent 2500 including a load standing. The match was spoilt by the refs a bit getting it wrong and the steelers diving! Didn't think that happened in ice hockey till then. There manager said in a post match interview a week before that they need to "embellish" more and boy did they!

We average 1200-1500 I think but it does fluctuate a lot with pay days etc.

I think the 3 closest rinks are alti, Widnes and Blackburn, there maybe more that I don't know of, I do like the idea of storm moving into Manchester but I can't see it happening unless it's a new large silver blades rink as the guy that owns the chain now owns storm.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.