Mancini

Status
Not open for further replies.
moomba said:
BillyShears said:
The knock effect of this has been that our UEFA coefficient hasn't improved and we will again face a group of death.

Our co-efficient has improved and as a group of death consists of teams from each pot we could find ourselves in a group of death regardless of our ranking.

Forgive me, our co efficient has improved simply be being in european competition this season, however teams previously ranked below us have improved their co efficients significantly more than we have and therefore we are likely to be in pot 3. I take your point that it's possible to get a nasty group draw even whilst being in pot 1 & 2, but it does significantly improve your chances of getting an easier group if you're in a higher up pot.

BillyShears said:
Pablo1 said:
He's far from perfect but to listen to some he's not good enough for the dog and duck.

The Dog and Duck couldn't afford him ... ;)

Seriously though, I really don't think Mancini's dogshit. Not by a long stretch ... it's a shame that people don't have the capacity to be a bit more subtle than "hero" or "zero". He's a very very good coach who has achieved a hell of a lot in a short space of time. However as you say, he isn't the finished article and certainly in Europe he's proven to be ... so far anyway ... simply not good enough. He may well get there one day. Will that be with City ? I have no idea ... but this conversation began, certainly for me, from the comment that we need Mancini more than he needs us. I just don't agree with that and I certainly don't think until he shows a significant improvement in both his European results, and his man management and motivational skills, that he'll be getting a call from the clubs I mentioned earlier.

Actually I think Mancini's strength lies in building teams that have won nothing for years rather than taking over the finished article and continuing or improving on success so Roma with pot of cash to spend would be ideal for him.

There would be no shortage of suiters for his particular talent but I don't think a Real Madrid type job would suit him or the club. But a big club that is down on its luck and not won in years with a bit of cash to spend? Mancini's your guy.

Very few,if any on here expect to win the League every year,or win the Chump's League at the first attempt.Just maybe,they and I thought that we might get out of the group stages,and give the shite more of a challenge in a one-team dominated
Premier League.Does that make me anti-Mancini and a gloryhunter to boot?

moomba said:
BillyShears said:
The knock effect of this has been that our UEFA coefficient hasn't improved and we will again face a group of death.

Our co-efficient has improved and as a group of death consists of teams from each pot we could find ourselves in a group of death regardless of our ranking.

Gone from rank 64th to 20th under bobby

BobKowalski said:
Actually I think Mancini's strength lies in building teams that have won nothing for years rather than taking over the finished article and continuing or improving on success so Roma with pot of cash to spend would be ideal for him.

There would be no shortage of suiters for his particular talent but I don't think a Real Madrid type job would suit him or the club. But a big club that is down on its luck and not won in years with a bit of cash to spend? Mancini's your guy.

An unruly child often needs tough love ... but once he grows into a young adult he may need a more subtle type of parenting.

BillyShears said:
moomba said:
BillyShears said:

Forgive me, our co efficient has improved simply be being in european competition this season, however teams previously ranked below us have improved their co efficients significantly more than we have and therefore we are likely to be in pot 3. I take your point that it's possible to get a nasty group draw even whilst being in pot 1 & 2, but it does significantly improve your chances of getting an easier group if you're in a higher up pot.

We were 28th ranked team last season. We are currently 20th rated team. We might drop another couple of places before the end of the season. But our chances of pot 2 depend on the teams above us qualifying for next years comp or not.

shaun said:
Very few,if any on here expect to win the League every year,or win the Chump's League at the first attempt.Just maybe,they and I thought that we might get out of the group stages,and give the shite more of a challenge in a one-team dominated

Everybody hoped we would get out of the group stages as I'm sure everybody hoped that we would be closer to Utd in the league. The difference is wherever or not you're willing to give the manager (who up until this season had moved the club forward year on year) time to come back stronger next season or wherever you've seen enough and want a new manager who may/may not win the league or get us out the group stages.

The fact that we may still win the FA cup and finish second in the league shouldn't be forgotten either - so yes, to answer your question it does..

BillyShears said:
BobKowalski said:

An unruly child often needs tough love ... but once he grows into a young adult he may need a more subtle type of parenting.

Yes there are different skills involved. Mancini is ideally suited to one aspect and not the other. Equally people can learn and adapt. The mistake we make is that we assume managers and coaches don't learn or evolve. Taggert certainly has evolved his management style with age and experience and Mancini may do so as well.

Of course Mancini may prefer just being Mancini in which case he has a specific talent which is highly marketable as demonstrated by his time at Inter and City.

This is slightly glib and simplistic but Mancini seems to work best when there is turmoil and conflict swirling round him - its just a question of how much shelf life there is in such an approach and whether he is as effective when all is quiet and serene. Going by this season possible not.

Mancini is a hard guy to work out though. His man management is on the face of it appalling yet it seems to work. Genuinely I think a lot of people have a hard time figuring him out which leads to a lot of divided opinion.

moomba said:
BillyShears said:
moomba said:

We were 28th ranked team last season. We are currently 20th rated team. We might drop another couple of places before the end of the season. But our chances of pot 2 depend on the teams above us qualifying for next years comp or not.
From what I've seen in the last 2 years we could be in Pot 1 and still face the group of death. We'd be that unlucky that Real, Barca and Bayern would be demoted for some sort of infringement and all endup in the same pot.

Yep, I'm talking shit but hopefully you get where I'm coming from :)

Pablo1 said:
shaun said:

Everybody hoped we would get out of the group stages as I'm sure everybody hoped that we would be closer to Utd in the league. The difference is wherever or not you're willing to give the manager (who up until this season had moved the club forward year on year) time to come back stronger next season or wherever you've seen enough and want a new manager who may/may not win the league or get us out the group stages.

The fact that we may still win the FA cup and finish second in the league shouldn't be forgotten either - so yes, to answer your question it does..

I expect we will finish (a distant?) second in the league,the FA Cup who knows?
But that won't erase my memory of a season that never managed to turn the corner,that consisted of far too many piss-poor performances.
I'm not calling for anyone's head,but equally I'm not saying everything is great.
Just calling it as I see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.