Manuel Pellegrini

Status
Not open for further replies.
moomba said:
aguero93:20 said:
moomba said:
I'm sure the subject would have come up.

As by far and away the most pivotal factor in us (hypothetically) having dropped points I'm sure it would have been mentioned, however I don't think it would have been the main topic of discussion.

Probably not, but whats there to discuss about the ref. He was shit and I don't think anyone can argue against that. Questions would rightly be asked of our last 20 minutes though if we did concede. Just pleased that we didn't.

Pellegrini should know refs are shite by now Aguero93, I don't understand why no one has questioned Pellegrini's stupidity in failing to substitute the ref for Mike Summerbee.

supercity88 said:
moomba said:
aguero93:20 said:
As by far and away the most pivotal factor in us (hypothetically) having dropped points I'm sure it would have been mentioned, however I don't think it would have been the main topic of discussion.

Probably not, but whats there to discuss about the ref. He was shit and I don't think anyone can argue against that. Questions would rightly be asked of our last 20 minutes though if we did concede. Just pleased that we didn't.

Pellegrini should know refs are shite by now Aguero93, I don't understand why no one has questioned Pellegrini's stupidity in failing to substitute the ref for Mike Summerbee.

I just find it funny that people seem to think it would have been the Manager's fault if we dropped points rather than Oliver's, we should have been 4-0 up against 9 men by the time he made the substitutions and besides, he hardly had a strong bench to choose from, would people have rathered Sagna, Boyata or Sinclair were brought on? He definitely got the starting eleven right.

You can't really be surprised that people would use the Manual Pellegrini thread to discuss Manuel Pellegrini's performance though.

And say it was United that weren't given 3 penalties, would that mean Chris Smalling wouldn't have deserved criticism for his decisions on the day? I see no difference here, if we lost MP would have been criticised for his decisions and rightly so whether the ref was shit or not.

tolmie's hairdoo said:
Nasri should have come into the Jovetic pocket, rather than Milner leaving the field.

They were shocking subs in every sense of the word.

Van Persie, Di Maria, a succession of late corners, all a result of taking Milner off and exposing the left hand flank.

Sorry Tolm,

But you are plain wrong. the Rags had four corners after Milner left:

One as a result of RVP turning Demi and doing Clichy, forcing Hart into his first save.
A second when Vinnie headed out a punt up the middle towards Fellatio.
The third was after another punt out towards Fellatio, who was challenged out wide by Fernado and he was effectively then tackled by Valencia with the ball breaking for Wilson, who out ran Clichy but was tackled by Vinnie. I doubt Milner would have made any difference here but if someone wants to argue the case, be my guest.
The final corner resulted immediately from the preceding one when Clichy shanked Di Maria's corner behind.

One of those corners, if you are lucky, had any relevance to Milner being on or off the pitch and resulted from about the only meaningful progress made by the Rags down our left following Milner's departure.

I have just watched the game again from the point Milner was withdrawn and my view of what happened has not changed. For six minutes after Milner left the pitch, we remained totally dominant - so Moomba's comment earlier about instantaneous change is misguided - and things only started to go South after the Rooney run.

Even after that, City had the best chances to score more.

moomba said:
You can't really be surprised that people would use the Manual Pellegrini thread to discuss Manuel Pellegrini's performance though.

And say it was United that weren't given 3 penalties, would that mean Chris Smalling wouldn't have deserved criticism for his decisions on the day? I see no difference here, if we lost MP would have been criticised for his decisions and rightly so whether the ref was shit or not.

You can over analyse though. We've got it wrong before in games but managed to get away with it, and we've got it spot on and lost. We won the game 1-0 so in fact his substitutions were spot on. We conceded chances, and generally you always do against 11 or 10 men. It is inevitable a chance will come to the opposition. They hoof it forward and it's knocked down for someone to score etc. We closed the game out, whether Pellegrini should have subbed someone else doesn't matter now. Milner should be able to start tomorrow with a bit more energy. Nasri has also possibly come into contention to start and we also have Lampard ready for a return. We beat the rags and we move on.

I think should we lose a game in the future because of similar decisions, then you can pull this game out of the hat and use it to bolster criticism. I don't feel as though Pellegrini gets decisions wrong very often when it comes to substitutions. I fully believe he felt our best form of defence was to attack them and look to score another. When we sat back we looked vulnerable, and making defensive substitutions could have invited pressure.

moomba said:

For picking the right starting xi and taking off a player who looked absolutely exhausted? You might not remember this, but in the few minutes before Milner came off, he gave the ball away softly twice in midfield and nearly lost a foot race with Carrick before hacking an aimless cross into the stands, that to me is a tired player. People on this forum are happily praising Milner for the work he put in during the game, running from one goalline to shield Clichy and win the ball back before sprinting back up the other end to make himself available as an outlet, pressing and closing down in midfield, but they also seem to want to totally dismiss the possibility that all this running about tired him out and his use in the game had come to an end.

As for the Dzeko sub what was wrong with it at the time? We were constantly getting into good crossing positions against a central defence of Michael Carrick and Patrick McNair with no fucking target man and one sitting on the bench, plus Jovetic had tired and drifted out of the game. What subs would you rather have seen? Nasri for Jovetic and Sinclair for Milner? Fernandinho in for Jovetic so Yaya could walk around cluelessly in the no 9 position while a tired Kun tried to cover for him in midfield?

moomba said:

Even if his decisions did not contribute towards the loss

What you're saying amounts to:

WIn: Manager is responsible
Lose: Manager is to blame

Over the course of time, given proper resources that is of course fair, but match by match it is not, because anything can happen in a game of football between 22 players, and the manager can not minutely manage the play from the touchline. If Smalling chooses to dive in on Milner, is that LVG's fault etc?

Now we've got to the extent that we're discussing 15 minute periods of the game....anything in fact to justify having a go at the coach.

waspish said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
Mister Appointment said:
Obvious wum'ing there my friend. :)

Don't you fecking start ;)

I've buried the lead...Pellegrini attempted to combat a threat which barely existed at that present time, based on some of the arguments being made that the removal of Milner was indeed a correct one?

Which argues the question, what was it that changed on the field of play which enabled a ten-man outfit, who were in full-on damage-limitation mode, suddenly forget themselves and believe they could get something from the game?

And don't give me that United never-say-die bullshit narrative;)

Difference is Nasri defensively is none existent that's why Mancini was always on his back...

That is not true.

supercity88 said:
You can over analyse though. We've got it wrong before in games but managed to get away with it, and we've got it spot on and lost. We won the game 1-0 so in fact his substitutions were spot on. We conceded chances, and generally you always do against 11 or 10 men. It is inevitable a chance will come to the opposition. They hoof it forward and it's knocked down for someone to score etc. We closed the game out, whether Pellegrini should have subbed someone else doesn't matter now. Milner should be able to start tomorrow with a bit more energy. Nasri has also possibly come into contention to start and we also have Lampard ready for a return. We beat the rags and we move on.

May as well not discuss the game then. A manager can get things wrong and the side will still win, he may also get some things right in a loss. Just don't know what the problem is with discussing the good and bad of a performance, whether we win, lose or draw.

I think should we lose a game in the future because of similar decisions, then you can pull this game out of the hat and use it to bolster criticism. I don't feel as though Pellegrini gets decisions wrong very often when it comes to substitutions. I fully believe he felt our best form of defence was to attack them and look to score another. When we sat back we looked vulnerable, and making defensive substitutions could have invited pressure.

I don't feel he gets decisions wrong very often either, but I'm not doing anything the decisions he made on Sunday. FWIW I thought he got his starting lineup right on the day and said so in the pre-match thread. And Fernandinho for Aguero was the correct decision although forced on him to an extent because of the negative impact of the previous two subs.

Marvin said:
Even if his decisions did not contribute towards the loss

What you're saying amounts to:

WIn: Manager is responsible
Lose: Manager is to blame

Thats not what I'm saying at all Marvin.

Over the course of time, given proper resources that is of course fair, but match by match it is not, because anything can happen in a game of football between 22 players, and the manager can not minutely manage the play from the touchline. If Smalling chooses to dive in on Milner, is that LVG's fault etc?

Now we've got to the extent that we're discussing 15 minute periods of the game....anything in fact to justify having a go at the coach.

Why would I need to justify having a go at the coach. Credit where it is due, criticism where it is due. Can't see the problem with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.