Manuel Pellegrini

Yup.

I really liked Mancini - very popular with fans - undone because he pissed people off in person (management and players) and because management didn't back him (wanted Pep ultimately).
=====
Me? - I never thought that Pep's first year would be any sort of success.

Pep took over a very talented side - but not the most talented side in the P/L.

Moreover, Pep took over a side wholly unsuited to his style of play - everyone very good on the ball - everyone exceptionally fit - everyone able to press for the full 90 - everyone very football aware - able to recognize danger on defense and take action - everyone moving into open spaces on offense - that's not the side Pep inherited.

The team Pep took over from Pellers was miles away from anywhere near a side that could play the way Pep wanted.

One transfer window later - we're clearly the best team in the EPL and we're among the teams most likely to win the C/L.

Hopefully Pep stays another year or two - if he does, I think that a C/L title is at least 50-50.

I would put us above 50-50, the players are oozing quality, having 11 buzzing players makes it difficult for anyone to hide and it's only just begun, don't forget we have been collecting players for Pep too during Pellegrini's time eg Sterling, Otamendi and Delph.

Pellegrini really was an engineer and kept us afloat, whilst winning the title.

More Billy Smart than Clown.

Think Everton would be an interesting job for him. I'd be interested to see how does.

He showed at Villareal he can build a top side, he showed at Malaga he can do crisis management.
He managed egos at City and Madrid.

While I think Pep is an upgrade on Pellegrini (and Mancini), I agree that Pellegrini has proven to be capable of managing in differing circumstances with wildly differing budgets. His spells at Villarreal and Malaga are criminally underrated by some (I’m not talking specifically about City fans here - just in general). He did a decent job in his one and only season at Real, and a great job in his first season with us, getting the players back onside after the problems at the back end of Mancini’s reign. Tactically, he’s not at Pep’s level IMO but he’s better than some give him credit for and he’s not afraid to play attacking football.

To be honest, I greatly appreciate the work both Mancini and Pellegrini did at City even though their reigns didn’t exactly end in glorious circumstances.

Last edited:
While I think Pep is an upgrade on Pellegrini (and Mancini), I agree that he has proven to be capable of managing in differing circumstances with wildly differing budgets. His spells at Villarreal and Malaga are criminally underrated by some (I’m not talking specifically about City fans here - just in general). He did a decent job in his one and only season at Real, and a great job in his first season with us, getting the players back onside after the problems at the back end of Mancini’s reign. Tactically, he’s not at Pep’s level IMO but he’s better than some give him credit for and he’s not afraid to play attacking football.

To be honest, I greatly appreciate the work both Mancini and Pellegrini did at City even though their reigns didn’t exactly end in glorious circumstances.

Good post.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.