Mark Clattenburg

Openly admitting to having a 'game plan' and making decisions for reasons other than normal refereeing of the match - "allow them to self-destruct" and "lose the title". Always knew he was bent.

It seems Clattenburg has just confirmed nearly every negative thing fans thought about referee "game management", and were called paranoid for, to be true (at least in his case).

His comments over the Chelsea v Tottenham game may be the headline, but the content of the whole interview would be scarsely believeable except for the fact that he is recorded saying it... :

He confirms:
- that he made decisions outside of the letter of the law to manage matches,
- that media pressure and the "story" of a season impacted, not in the moment, in a prepared way his approach to games,
- "football is a business, and my style of refereeing helped peoples businesses",
- that he sees football as theatre and implies its the job of the referee to direct it,
- that he 'levelled' decisions throughout the game if he perceived he made a mistake,
- that his decisions were different in UEFA lead games compared to those in the Premier League (tough tackling etc),
- that he treated footballers with his decisions unequally (there are certain times to card and talk to certain players based on how they will react)- his example was Ashley Cole,
- that players screaming at referees can change the mind of a referee- his example was Roy Keane and corners.

Shocking... and he also refers to himself in the third person, which is a bit odd.

This is exactly what you don't want in a referee- I wonder how widespread these attitudes are among referees.

He confirms:
- that he made decisions outside of the letter of the law to manage matches,
- that media pressure and the "story" of a season impacted, not in the moment, in a prepared way his approach to games,
- "football is a business, and my style of refereeing helped peoples businesses",
- that he sees football as theatre and implies its the job of the referee to direct it,
- that he 'levelled' decisions throughout the game if he perceived he made a mistake,
- that his decisions were different in UEFA lead games compared to those in the Premier League (tough tackling etc),
- that he treated footballers with his decisions unequally (there are certain times to card and talk to certain players based on how they will react)- his example was Ashley Cole,
- that players screaming at referees can change the mind of a referee- his example was Roy Keane and corners.

Shocking... and he also refers to himself in the third person, which is a bit odd.

This is exactly what you don't want in a referee- I wonder how widespread these attitudes are among referees.
No surprise really it's what we all suspected and now know.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.