Mark Lillis Interview

Great player in the sense of giving all, which is all fans want to see ultimately. Should have been kept especially given what we got in return... I was at the Leicester match in August 85 to see Lillis score. Probably about 23000 for our first match back in Div 1 back then. Football has changed so much and generally for the better, but as a young unemployed City fan at the time I could at least afford the entrance fee to stand on the Kippax with my brother and a match programme.

Legend. His family used to all drink in the Parkside.

I still remember as a kid him scoring a diving header in the FA Cup game at home to Watford, thinking that was our year?

We drew that game and then the replay back at a Vicarage Road, but they came back to ours again for another replay and John Barnes destroyed us.

I still remember as a kid him scoring a diving header in the FA Cup game at home to Watford, thinking that was our year?

We drew that game and then the replay back at a Vicarage Road, but they came back to ours again for another replay and John Barnes destroyed us.
3-1 the 2nd replay. He was wearing gloves. If he’d have worn a suit of chainmail we wouldn’t have got near him that night. Unplayable. I once wrote a letter to Graham Taylor when he was manager at Villa and he wrote me a lovely reply. I mentioned the Watford game and Barnes that night, Taylor said in his reply, “I do vaguely remember that game, but to be honest, Barnes had so many brilliant games for me at Watford, they all become a blur”.

As for Lillis, he was a City fan, gave his all, but I don’t class it as “selling the silver” like Barnes and Owen. Those guys were top drawer. Lillis wasn’t. Mind you, Christie wasn’t even bottom drawer.

With the pitch full of snow ! I clearly recall playing football in my back garden in 6” of snow before heading to the match.

One of the worst ever decisions made by the club , selling Lillis to Derby for a tosser like Christie and a few quid , always smirk when opposition fans sing WWYWYWS , i witnessed our club selling the fa,ily silver , players like Clive Wilson , Gary Flitcroft , Lillis , SWP all to keep the club afloat , so people get short shrift from me when they accuse City fans of being gloryhunters , we've been there and got the T-shirt , show me a Rag,Dipper or Goon that has been through the shit we have endured.

Agreed and don't forget we sold Trevor Francis so we could put a new roof on the main stand at Maine Road.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.