Match in doubt? Rearranged for 19.45hrs 14-09-16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stuck in Cheadle (visiting relative in The Alex).....which pub is best to watch the game?
Not been in for a while, but the Queens Arms (end of Councillor Lane) used to show all the footy. It used to be a right shithole, but they made it fancy and put a rag in charge - how I yearn for the old days.
Or the White Hart at t'other end of Cheadle?

no, i don't think i was.
i mean, i'm not sure. haha.

that's the beauty of the english language though, isn't it?
dictionaries are only a reference point to try to make some sense of it all.
language use and spelling changes as the years/decades go by and dictionaries are updated to go along with that.
new words come into usage all the time and some old words eventually disappear or change.

we have the best language in the world because we absorb so much from other languages.
modern english is a mongrel and i love it for that very reason and enjoy playing with it.

i've just finished re-reading robinson crusoe, the original 1719 version without the modern spelling updates.
it's quite fascinating to see how different the spelling and grammar was.
a few times i really didn't have a clue what he was trying to say.

HaHa, you were sort of right then!

I completely agree with you on the language thing, I wonder how it will be in another 100-200 years or so? I think 'text speak' will have a big affect on the English language. People writing less and typing shorthand more.

I've gone over a few CVs for potential new employees where I work and they either didn't listen in class, or just don't give a shit!

I decided to go a day late to a conference so I could see the game. Couldn't really not go so watching it in conference centre bar. Asked for refund (I'm on cup scheme). Bloke with me (not city fan) has a fiver on 3-0 at 10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.