Match Thread - City V Chelsea (1st leg FA Youth Cup)

Discussion in 'Matchday forum' started by FantasyIreland, 18 Apr 2017.

1. BlueAnorak

BlueAnorak

Chelsea are an older taller more physical side and they bossed the game in the first half - though we had the better chances, Second half we relaxed and gradually got more and more possession as the game went on. Phil Foden's goal was a peach and he has a great future ahead of him. The rest had a bit of stage fright to be honest.
    1-1 is the same first leg score as last year but with a better performance. That said to win Jadon, Brahim and others will need to play better and without fear.
    Good to see that City get treated the same by refs at this level as Brahim got kicked off the park all night with zero protection from the ref. Still he'll have to get used to it.
    In with a chance but Chelsea are slight favourites now.

2. cleavers

cleavers

Not sure "older" but certainly taller and more physical, however I thought they noticably tired second half.

I think we can do them on the break down there, so long as we keep them from scoring. I think we go there stronger than we did last year.

3. cadds92

cadds92

Strangely Chelsea's average age is younger than ours, only by a month though, but my word are they bigger.

They have some units in that team of theirs, and that lad Odoi at only 16? What has his Mum and Dad been feeding him?

I agree with the players you mentioned needing to play better and without fear. I thought the first 30mins or so was a little reminiscent of recent finals in that I thought we felt overwhelmed a little by the occassion.

I thought Diaz was good but I have seen Foden play much better.

Nmecha needs to get his head up when receiving the ball in midfield as well, far too many times tonight he was too selfish when he could have thread through-balls through to Sancho.

4. Mancity1980

Mancity1980

I think that is a bit harsh, they were bigger and stronger but they have good abilities. Don't forget Lukaku (I know he started there aged 18) and Loftus-Cheek came through this Chelsea system as big athletes with good abilities . These are without doubt the best youth set-ups in the country right now; any individual would have to be exceptional to progress to their respective first teams and play regularly but a lot of them will play at some decent level somewhere.

5. East Level 2

East Level 2

Quite enjoyed that but it got a bit nippy towards the end. Chelsea have a great defence, they'd only conceded two in the tournament before tonight and were winning both games comfortably when they conceded. They get forward reasonably well and can use a bit of long ball to mix things up.
    A draw was a fair result and I agree with earlier posts that the ref gave Diaz little protection.
    And the Blackburn fans (I assume) enjoyed seeing a final and playing their bloody annoying tunes.

6. BJL_City

BJL_City

Vardy juice.

7. Metalartin

Metalartin

No Chelsea youth game is complete without the use of this phrase.

8. cadds92

cadds92

I thought someone might pick me up on that.

When I was typing it I was thinking should I shouldn't I. They might think I was Ray is disguise.

9. Cheadle_hulmeBlue

Cheadle_hulmeBlue

there team are massive. they've got some good players, but they rely on strength to much imo. foden was good, but i thought davenport was the best player. hes had a tough season, but i think hes up there with our best young players.

was fantastic to see so many young english players.

10. cleavers

cleavers

I'd agree, we played well second half, and chelsea tired, I think we can do it next week on the break, so long as we stop them scoring early.