Match Thread: UEFA Youth league v. Real Madrid

rangers-players.jpg

still going strong is Ralphie

Thanks for that George , it is always good to see players from the first team I properly remember still alive and well , sadly not all are

My main criticism of City isn't to do with the perception we try to score the perfect goal every time. I don't agree with that, I do think we need to get better at putting away our chances but I think the issue with City is that we don't manage to maintain our style or play consistently well for 90 minutes. That might be because we lack natural leadership through the side, but after the opening ten minutes yesterday we pressed them and they couldn't keep the ball. We were winning the ball back with ease and looked comfortable in possession and had a few opportunities to get at their defence and have an opportunity on goal. One poor pass though led to another and we then had a period of failing to retain possession, dropping off (so not pressing) and allowing Real far too much time on the ball in which they carved out chances and scored.

We did have a few players playing so close to a huge senior game at Chelsea. And we had good players missing, but from the 10-15mins of play where we pressed them and they couldn't cope it was evidence that we were the better side. So for me the issues are keeping that style of play going throughout. Aleix Garcia needed to be driving the team, hounding the rest of the players to push up - someone needs to step up to that leading role in midfield. It worked well for a good while and Real didn't suddenly learn how to play under pressure, we dropped off. Architects of our own downfall as ever. Second half we got back to where we needed to be but were 2-0 down at that time and chasing the game and taking risks. For 10-15 mins we looked like a team playing Pep Guardiola style high pressing with an advanced average position. Tosin and Cameron were on the halfway line, the full backs had pushed up, our strikers were harrassing the centre backs/keeper and the midfield pushing onto the full backs and opposing midfielders. It was working fantastically. Show that for as much as 60 mins in a game and we'll win most of them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.