Matchday "safety" changes

Vic

http://www.mancity.com/news/tickets-and-travel/2016/05/25/stadium-access-1617/1470926349003
No pedestrian access by the shortest route to the north! Go the long way round so cars can get out quicker.

But the pedestrians heading that way will now take even longer to get there, blocking Alan Turing Way and the Gate 1 car park exit.

Or will they just ignore attempts to stop them using Gate 1? What enforcement? Stewards with no powers of arrest telling people not to go through an open gate?

And trying to split pedestrians into "lanes" either for car park or not, outside the Metrolink station at the Joe Mercer memorial? Madness with conflicting flows....

Last edited:

spacer.gif

Etihad Stadium - important matchday changes

Dear Paul Lamprey,

Throughout last season, we were closely monitoring feedback received from supporters in relation to leaving the stadium on a matchday. The three main issues raised were:

- Safety of pedestrians
- Traffic congestion
- Post-match road closures

Following an extensive review of the feedback received, as well as an independent review of the Club's traffic management plan with our key partners including Manchester City Council, Greater Manchester Police and Urban Traffic Control, we have made changes to the way both vehicles and pedestrians exit the stadium.

These changes are detailed on the Stadium maps available here and advise that;

- Directional lanes on Joe Mercer Way will guide supporters either to their vehicle in the Blue Car Parks or along a dedicated walking route, heading north.

- Gate 1 on Alan Turing Road is no longer accessible to pedestrians. Supporters can enter and exit the site via Gate 2 along Sports City Way, then on to Joe Mercer Way.

- Post-match, Gate 1 will open for vehicles only. The traffic lights will be managed to allow a faster, and safer exit from the stadium.

In preparation for the matchday operation, these changes were successfully trialled at the summer concerts when 500,000 people accessed the site across eight events.

The safety of all supporters is paramount. The implementation of these changes allows for safer pedestrian movement and a reduction in the time it takes for vehicles to leave the car parks.

We will monitor and review these changes, along with any supporter feedback received through the season and where necessary, make adjustments and improvements to the plan.

Thank you for your continued support and co-operation.

Kind regards,

Dan Schofield
Head of Operations

http://www.mancity.com/news/tickets-and-travel/2016/05/25/stadium-access-1617/1470926349003
No pedestrian access by the shortest route to the north! Go the long way round so cars can get out quicker.

But the pedestrians heading that way will now take even longer to get there, blocking Alan Turing Way and the Gate 1 car park exit.

Or will they just ignore attempts to stop them using Gate 1? What enforcement? Stewards with no powers of arrest telling people not to go through an open gate?

And trying to split pedestrians into "lanes" either for car park or not, outside the Metrolink station at the Joe Mercer memorial? Madness with conflicting flows....
I think this change may be related to a number of near misses and one or two minor collisions last season between cars exiting G car/coach park onto Sports City Way and pedestrians making their way towards car/coach park G, hence the new dedicated "green lane" for those pedestrians (including me,as I travel on a supporters coach).

I agree it could be a bit confusing to start with until people get used to it and it will be interesting to see how it's enforced. I've always been puzzled why the Gate 1 exit wasn't used for vehicle exit before now as it seems to have been originally designed for that purpose with the traffic signals there.

Did anybody go to these concerts and tried it did it work ?
Went to the Stone Roses on the Wednesday and left in the car via gate 1, got out pretty quick and there were a fair few cars there.

No right turn onto Briscoe lane is a pisser though.

They have to cover their arses before a pedestrian is injured or God forbid, killed. It will probably be a circus for a while as too many bone idle lazy fuckers can't be arsed walking the extra minute or two. The amount of people I see crossing roads within a few yards of a pelican crossing is frightening and most of the idiots are on their phones or looking down at them probably for Pokemon!

I think this change may be related to a number of near misses and one or two minor collisions last season between cars exiting G car/coach park onto Sports City Way and pedestrians making their way towards car/coach park G, hence the new dedicated "green lane" for those pedestrians (including me,as I travel on a supporters coach).

I agree it could be a bit confusing to start with until people get used to it and it will be interesting to see how it's enforced. I've always been puzzled why the Gate 1 exit wasn't used for vehicle exit before now as it seems to have been originally designed for that purpose with the traffic signals there.

Something needs to be done as it gets ridiculous and often heated down that area after the match. Lets hope it works as in principle, it looks to be a good change

Excellent. Priority to the drivers may mean that a few more stay till the final whistle ;-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.