Mats Hummels

Re: Matts Hummels

I'm no cynic said:
RandomJ said:
If we bought him we'd have to have the defenders almost on the goal line to counter his serious lack of pace and that isn't how Pellegrini plays his football so there is zero chance of us going in for him. If he does come to the Premier League I think he will have a nasty shock as there are some seriously fast players in this league.
Let's hope he does join the rags then!
Seriously, we really don't want him joining the Rags. He is a fantastic all round footballer. And this thread has done a serious injustice to his talent. If he is not coming to City, I want him no where near the Prem. He is a tremendous footballer.

Dax777 said:
I'm no cynic said:
RandomJ said:
If we bought him we'd have to have the defenders almost on the goal line to counter his serious lack of pace and that isn't how Pellegrini plays his football so there is zero chance of us going in for him. If he does come to the Premier League I think he will have a nasty shock as there are some seriously fast players in this league.
Seriously, we really don't want him joining the Rags. He is a fantastic all round footballer. And this thread has done a serious injustice to his talent. If he is not coming to City, I want him no where near the Prem. He is a tremendous footballer.

he's the worlds best centre back. ever.

de niro said:
Dax777 said:
I'm no cynic said:

Even more so than Vertonghen?

de niro said:
Dax777 said:
I'm no cynic said:

Hardly. But the silly notion that he lacks pace and thus wouldn't fit our system, is just that. A silly blue tinted "anyone we don't want must not be good" syndrome. The guy is a fantastic defender, and all this pace talk is just silly. He is faster than MDM for sure. No one denies that, yet somehow MDM thrived in our high line defense, yet apparently a younger faster version of MDM apparently would suck. Where is the logic in that? Not to even broach the fact that said player currently plays on a team that plays a high line as often as we do.

But somehow we should ignore the fact that he plays in a highline defense, ignore the fact that, he committed fewer fouls a game than any CB in his league, intercepted more balls than any CB other than Naldo, and starts for the current world champions: instead, let's base our judgments on some trumped up charges about "pace".

As funny as it sounds, you sarcastically calling him the best defender in the world, is less ridiculous, than the notion that he will fail in our system coz he lacks "pace".

FantasyIreland said:
de niro said:
Dax777 said:

3 years later, my opinion that we should have gone for Vertonghen, hasn't changed. Jan over Savic. Still a no brainer.

FantasyIreland said:
de niro said:
Dax777 said:

I'll let you know at the end of the transfer window. could be that both are crap.

Dax777 said:
Now back to comparison- in comparing the 2 players, Mangala average 1.2 tackles and 1 interception a game, Hummels averaged 2.5 tackles and 2.8 interceptions a game. Playing in a highline.

Without getting into the debate about the two players, that stat is meaningless on its own, it could just as easily be interpreted that Dortmund had more defending to do than Porto.

Dax777 said:
RandomJ said:
Okay this fallacy needs to stop. We are not going to buy Hummels, and that's fine. But can we stop with the over exaggeration of his lack of pace? The man is faster than MDM who plays in our highline. He may not be as fast as Mangala in a foot race, but he is no snail. And just for the sake of clarity, Hummels plays for Dortmund! A team that plays a high line themselves. Mangala who we are interested in plays for Porto, who does NOT play a highline.
So in this discussion of who will be a better fit, perhaps more reverence should be given to who actually already plays in the system. That player will be Hummels.

And as a side note, awareness anticipation and positioning, are much more important characteristic for a highline than pace is. The reason why our highline sometimes sucked wasn't because the CBs were slow, it was often because some of the midfielders failed to pressure the ball passer, who then can split the defense with his pass.. It matters little how fast your CBs are, if there is no pressure on the ball passer in midfield, your defense will get burnt consistently. The purchase of Fernando in addition to Fernandihno and a lesser extent Garcia, guarantees pressure on the ball and an overall improvement in our defensive system.

Now back to comparison- in comparing the 2 players, Mangala average 1.2 tackles and 1 interception a game, Hummels averaged 2.5 tackles and 2.8 interceptions a game. Playing in a highline.

In my opinion, the reason why we are not in for Hummels is one of 2 reasons:
1. We know he is not for sale or his sale price will be exorbitant.
2. Pelegrini trusts MDM and he is looking for his future replacement, rather than his present replacement. Thus Mangala will take over eventually, but not this season. Hummels would have been a starter this season.

Oh, and just in case anyone missed it. Hummels is currently a superior defender to Mangala. More so in a highline than perhaps any other system. The fact he is not as fast as Mangala doesn't change that.

Mangala has potential, Hummels is already there. Let's not fool ourselves simply because we are not in for him. It has nothing to do with pace.

Mate.....this is my personal view and I know we wont all agree on this one but that's what makes for a good discussion, right?;)

I'm happy we didn't go for Hummels....great defender but I see Kompany having the same frustrations with Hummels that he does with Demichelis.....I think we might as well have just stayed with Demichelis if we were going to sign Hummels...Foot speed/quickness is very important when playing the highline and even more so when we push our LB/RB so far up the field into attacking positions..Yes, positioning is important but if you not quick enough to get there, you hold back and put pressure on those around you... The amount of times I saw Kompany covering up for demichelis last season, I never want to see that again..... Against Stoke's of this world we are fine but RM and Barc....no chance! It was important to buy someone to match Kompany's strengths and Hummels would not have done that...I do agree tho..Mangala was picked because he is seen as the best long term replacement/upgrade....Yes, Mangala might not read the game as well as Hummels but that is down to age...give him a year or two....we'll be looking at Kompany's twin!:) and City must agree as they wouldn't be spending 32mil on someone to take over from Demichelis!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.