Maybe we've changed our transfer policy?

Maly

In 2008 when Sheik Mansour initially took over, we HAD to pay top dollar for players & pay top dollar for their wages to entice them to the club. However, I'm pretty certain that over the past few years, every player's perception of City will have no doubt changed.

What I mean by this is that we are probably seen as one of the 'major players' in the world of football now. This puts us in a position of strength when buying players. Yes we have the cash to throw around, however, I believe that we are now trying to bully so called 'smaller clubs' in the transfer market. Much the same way that Barca & Real always eventually get their man by playing hard ball on the fee & getting the player to force through the move. (Sanchex for a cheaper price than we had agreed springs to mind!!) This would obviously extend the sales cycle, hence the reason why we have only made the 2 easiest signings so far this window. They were both priced well for the players they are so we didn't need to get either Gundogan or Nolito to push against their former clubs.

Sorry if this is too sensible for the transfer flapping forum....& I could be completely wrong about this....in which case: Get Flapping!!! ;)

In 2008 when Sheik Mansour initially took over, we HAD to pay top dollar for players & pay top dollar for their wages to entice them to the club. However, I'm pretty certain that over the past few years, every player's perception of City will have no doubt changed.

What I mean by this is that we are probably seen as one of the 'major players' in the world of football now. This puts us in a position of strength when buying players. Yes we have the cash to throw around, however, I believe that we are now trying to bully so called 'smaller clubs' in the transfer market. Much the same way that Barca & Real always eventually get their man by playing hard ball on the fee & getting the player to force through the move. (Sanchex for a cheaper price than we had agreed springs to mind!!) This would obviously extend the sales cycle, hence the reason why we have only made the 2 easiest signings so far this window. They were both priced well for the players they are so we didn't need to get either Gundogan or Nolito to push against their former clubs.

Sorry if this is too sensible for the transfer flapping forum....& I could be completely wrong about this....in which case: Get Flapping!!! ;)

You're not flapping at all. I see it exactly the same way. Since the takeover they've been playing it to near perfection, or as close to perfection with balancing the short term with a long term vision. It's a long process that is playing out absolutely brilliantly. Last year, and potentially this year could be the transition to the Barca, and real level that we're trying to achieve (slightly down years). I trust the management 100% and love what we're doing. We might get fleeced for Stones but I think the days of that happening are almost over.

I'm with you on this 100%. Though I can say I'm not a flapper. xD

Nah, we are TRYING to tighten up, but ultimately it doesn't work and we end up paying anyway.

Plus we just can't get shut of our shite.

You're not flapping at all. I see it exactly the same way. Since the takeover they've been playing it to near perfection, or as close to perfection with balancing the short term with a long term vision. It's a long process that is playing out absolutely brilliantly. Last year, and potentially this year could be the transition to the Barca, and real level that we're trying to achieve (slightly down years). I trust the management 100% and love what we're doing. We might get fleeced for Stones but I think the days of that happening are almost over.
I know I'm not flapping.....been watching us play for far too long & seen far too many garbage teams & player to flap. I just enjoy the ride now & I'm not that arsed if we sign nobody else as I believe we already have the best squad in the Prem....we just need to play like it!!

The one single factor is squad limit rules! They have crept up on us and others and limit what you can do. What we haven't seen yet is a big name player excluded from a squad but that will happen to someone and it is a lose lose situation!

Nah, we are TRYING to tighten up, but ultimately it doesn't work and we end up paying anyway.

Plus we just can't get shut of our shite.
You sure about that? These have been the tactics of Barca & Real for years and if you look at the facts, Txiki & Ferran used these exact tactics when they were at Barca.

But I agree that we seem to be struggling to get our shit out of the door

The one single factor is squad limit rules! They have crept up on us and others and limit what you can do. What we haven't seen yet is a big name player excluded from a squad but that will happen to someone and it is a lose lose situation!

Can you elaborate more on this? This was always going to be a factor for me. That's why I'm thinking this year might be closer to last year in regards to the Premier league and not a confident walk to the title, but after this older crew is phased out we're going to be set for a very long time. I think we haven't seen many outgoings because the club is willing to stick with what we have and trust pep instead of panicking and unloading players that are terrible deals for us (yaya, nasri, others possibly).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.