Maybe we've changed our transfer policy?

True. Might explain why the club are more patient than some on here! That said, you'd imagine Guardiola would want them in sooner rather than later so that we can hit the ground running.

Yes I think city would much rather have the players signed up than money in the bank.
Really puts it into perspective though that the money city would have saved if we sign stones next week instead of last week would cover the annual salaries of about 12 members of normal club staff. staggering sums involved.

Near perfection? You need to look at the league table. We haven't signed anyone, KDB excepted, in the last 4 years, who'd be wanted by the truly elite teams in Europe. Our transfer policy, post-2012 has been piss=poor. If you think signing the likes of Maicon, Garcia, Delph etc is some long-term master-stroke that's suddenly going to elevate us to the Barca/Real level, I'm afraid you're very much mistaken. Playing out brilliantly? Aye, 4th place behind Leicester, Spurs and Arsenal - utter genius. I'm glad you love it. I'd rather we smash the transfer market, and sign the best. We have the money. Let's get fleeced. All the way to the title.

To be fair, we were pretty hampered by FFP for a few years since 2012. If we're classing Bayern, Barca and Real as the truly elite teams, then I'm not sure any English teams have signed players they really wanted in that time.

Near perfection? You need to look at the league table. We haven't signed anyone, KDB excepted, in the last 4 years, who'd be wanted by the truly elite teams in Europe. Our transfer policy, post-2012 has been piss=poor. If you think signing the likes of Maicon, Garcia, Delph etc is some long-term master-stroke that's suddenly going to elevate us to the Barca/Real level, I'm afraid you're very much mistaken. Playing out brilliantly? Aye, 4th place behind Leicester, Spurs and Arsenal - utter genius. I'm glad you love it. I'd rather we smash the transfer market, and sign the best. We have the money. Let's get fleeced. All the way to the title.

Near perfection to me on the bigger scale, more than just about the product on the pitch. Bought for 210m and now worth 2bn and growing. We've always done things planning for the long term. We went from 10th, to 5th, to 3rd, to 1st, 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 4th. What more do you want? We've progressed in the champions league and we now have the best academy in the world with the best manager. How the fuck is that not a masterclass? You're being short sighted. The tranfser market bit has merit but it's always going to be hit or miss. You expect signings to fall into place perfectly for 7 straight seasons? No shit it would be nice to smash the transfer market and buy Pogba, Kroos, and Messi but that isn't realistic now is it? We're hopefully getting to the point in a few years where we will only need one signing and then we can get our galacticos and be at the highest level. Give it some more time.

For me it is clear what path the board have chosen.

Gone are the days of paying over the top for a good player nearing his prime. Over the top wages due to being a popular target. Hut and miss signings with very little selling on revenue.

The present in my opinion is top whack bids and wages for 'crack players' that are vital to the build of the team. 25 or younger seems to be the m.o unless a player represents good squad value. An instant xi starter at 28 or 29 is a here and now signing for impact. But our focus is on players for the future. Players who can give a career to us or a good 4 or 5 years prior to being sold on. The likes of Moreno, Roberts and Jesus tells us that we are looking for that next big thing and are willing to pay a premium for early stage signings we can mold under Pep. The ahove 3 cost around £60m. But for that you get an Aubamayang or Griezmann. Someone who is great addition but risky. If it doesnt pan iut i.e Di Maria then a loss is inevitable and the search continues for that player sought in the first place. It is risk management spread across a portfolio or in this case, a squad. Say Roberts becomes an England International and solid Prem player. He would cost what we have invested for the 3 players in say 4 years time. Only really needs one of Moreno and Jesus to work out also to be shrewd business in todays crazy market. Loan the player who hasnt made the grade, in a continental league and sell on. Many clubs sign olayers who havent quite made the grade and hope to shine up a rough diamond that has slipped through the net. Citing a lack of opportunity due to top level players contending for a starting place. The likes of Sturridge, Balotelli and Bojan being examples for the business model.

I see it more business orientated and more faith in scouting the next stars that stage before they become household names with twice the hype and wage demands.

Signing wise 6/10 player wise but that is down to the players rather than Txiki. All have shown yo be good players, all in good form, but bar Kdb and Dinho all have shown to be inconsistent. Manuel was astoundingly good the first season but I blame him for the drop off in form among the team. Players lose and gain form, just one of those things. But when a team drops in form collectively the way we have seen then there is more to it.

KDB and Aguero are imo a top 15 players in the World. I rate Dinho as the most unheralded player in this league for the last 3 years. Navas is frustrating, Nolito I have hopes for. Negredo was great business, won the league and made our cash back. Bony is pony. Sterling, big season for him, Fernando is one to emerge from the shadows next season. Otamendi just needs to stay in his feet. Mangala has the attributes and would improve under Pep but fuck me was he ludicrously expensive. Sagna, inspired business, best RB in the league this year, really came to the stage when we needed him to.

Gone are the days of paying over the top for a good player nearing his prime. Over the top wages due to being a popular target. Hut and miss signings with very little selling on revenue.

The present in my opinion is top whack bids and wages for 'crack players' that are vital to the build of the team. 25 or younger seems to be the m.o unless a player represents good squad value. An instant xi starter at 28 or 29 is a here and now signing for impact. But our focus is on players for the future. Players who can give a career to us or a good 4 or 5 years prior to being sold on. The likes of Moreno, Roberts and Jesus tells us that we are looking for that next big thing and are willing to pay a premium for early stage signings we can mold under Pep. The ahove 3 cost around £60m. But for that you get an Aubamayang or Griezmann. Someone who is great addition but risky. If it doesnt pan iut i.e Di Maria then a loss is inevitable and the search continues for that player sought in the first place. It is risk management spread across a portfolio or in this case, a squad. Say Roberts becomes an England International and solid Prem player. He would cost what we have invested for the 3 players in say 4 years time. Only really needs one of Moreno and Jesus to work out also to be shrewd business in todays crazy market. Loan the player who hasnt made the grade, in a continental league and sell on. Many clubs sign olayers who havent quite made the grade and hope to shine up a rough diamond that has slipped through the net. Citing a lack of opportunity due to top level players contending for a starting place. The likes of Sturridge, Balotelli and Bojan being examples for the business model.

I see it more business orientated and more faith in scouting the next stars that stage before they become household names with twice the hype and wage demands.

Good post. You could possibly add to that Guardiola's apparent preference for working with young players who are more "malleable" to his methods, rather than established stars.

Obviously there are a few exceptions to this with his transfers (Villa, Alonso, Vidal etc) but I'm sure both he and City would love to unearth the next global superstar, rather than trying to buy a Messi, Bale or Neymar, for a variety of reasons.

Risky strategy, of course, as you're not buying proven goods, so to speak. Clearly a risk they think is worth taking though.

Very well done. We have the same viewpoints and see the future the same way. You just worded it better :). I love the direction but like @Ric says it's a bit risky. If push comes to shove we can just revert back to the older model and overpay if the situation would call for it. From a business and analytical view point it's been amazing. Two league titles, an FA, two league cups, and a CL Semi final? Who would have expected better? With Pep and the future of the academy to boot...

Good post. You could possibly add to that Guardiola's apparent preference for working with young players who are more "malleable" to his methods, rather than established stars.

Obviously there are a few exceptions to this with his transfers (Villa, Alonso, Vidal etc) but I'm sure both he and City would love to unearth the next global superstar, rather than trying to buy a Messi, Bale or Neymar, for a variety of reasons.

Risky strategy, of course, as you're not buying proven goods, so to speak. Clearly a risk they think is worth taking though.

Cheers.

Pep is the signing of the transfer window.

His mere status puts us at in a position that we have never been in. I still haven't grasped we have employed a coach we all dreamt of getting. Fans and players alike view him as a football demi-god. Coman was a revelation for Bayern, owned by Juventus who didn't see the talent he had yet are aguably the shrewdest brains in Football.

Pep is the draw for us now, even above oour players you could argue.

I feel like the issue is less that we'be yet to agree a fee/wage and the fact we had to pay over the odds on transfers/wages is coming home to roost and the players are fucking us over when we're asking them to move on by demanding high wages/signing on bonuses etc and obviously we any sign without selling ft the moment and it's causing a log jam.

I blame FFP

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.