Our PR department and the media

An example that City could use is look at what Donald Trump has done (never thought I would say that). He may be mad but he doesnt hang about. He has taken exception to what some media outlets have said about him so he has banned those outlets from receiving off the record briefings. We need to do something similar. We have papers like the Sun and Star vilifying one of our players the editors of those papers should be informed one more breach and they will have their press badges rescinded and that should be the same for any of the media. We dont need to fight them in the playground lets close the gates and not let them in to play

The difference is that Trump is banning media which states the facts and we want to get back at media which tells lies.

The drip drip impact of negative coverage is certainly damaging us but it's not that easy to combat. The printed and website media will always be biased for commercial reasons and that's why we suffer blanket coverage of the rags. It's the same in Spain with Barca, Real, and in Germany with Bayern.
The difference here is that coverage of City is often negative and nasty. There are many reasons for this and some of it is essentially racism towards our owners. The other factor is the way United have manipulated the media for years. Under Ferguson they were bullies.
I have heard some incredible stories about the way that club has conducted its business in the Manchester area over the years, nothing to do with football but they way they handle their suppliers for example. The rags have been doing this for years and have still got a lot of friends in high places.The bottom line is that they still have more influence than us and it will take decades for this to change but we have made a start.
The thing that annoys me the most is the BBC online coverage. It is one of the world's biggest websites and we can't afford to let them continue to trash us. The "Pete the Badge" thing is more damaging than a lot of people think. Our PR team has to fight back on these sort of issues but still needs to pick its battles carefully.
I disagree with your first sentence. I think all it would take is an important member of our heirachy to come out with a firm statement that lies and innuendo will no longer be tolerated ,neither will members of the media be that writers, interviewers,commentators that refuse to show impartiality....can you imagine a fully fledged blue being welcomed back to the swamp after doing a job on the rags ? In fact I can't imagine anyone associated with City lowering themselves as it's not in City's DNA

The 'long game' argument always tickles me. What exactly are we waiting for? All the present reporters/journalists to die of old age?
By that time the next generation will have been brainwashed into thinking we're shit on a shoe as well.
So exactly how long is this imaginary long game? I'd like to see some balance before I'm six feet under if that's possible.
Agree with your points but this type of thread is always polarised.

Personally, the PR dept is toothless and arrogant but they advertise our sponsors well (££££) and whilst many say (without sound evidence) that the owners want to pursue a slow game with the negative press, this sounds like they are appeasing the masses with a strategy we have no information about other than hearsay and gossip from those who think they are in the know.

If we keep taking a kick in the balls and just smile then... expect it to happen over and over again...

I'd try a new comms strategist to lead the PR team at the club - preferably one who is part of the Fleet Street elite to shake it up a bit... and get rid of that passive lot we have now who seem to think that by shovelling stuff on social media and advertising our sponsors is enough.

This.

No point going full Trump on them.

Enough rope and all that....

I uderstand that point and it was one I agreed with but how much rope do we have to give these parasites. Dunn on 5Live admitted that the press were all of one mind when the 3rd Monaco goal went in all ready to slam Guardiola. Where is their journalistic integrity about reporting what they see rather than constantly making it about individuals be it players or managers. When as a kid I used to read match reports that discussed the highlights of the game. Now a goal is almost reported as an afterthought behind the central narrative about what the writer wants to say

One cannot stop them watching matches but dont make it easy for them

I uderstand that point and it was one I agreed with but how much rope do we have to give these parasites. Dunn on 5Live admitted that the press were all of one mind when the 3rd Monaco goal went in all ready to slam Guardiola. Where is their journalistic integrity about reporting what they see rather than constantly making it about individuals be it players or managers. When as a kid I used to read match reports that discussed the highlights of the game. Now a goal is almost reported as an afterthought behind the central narrative about what the writer wants to say

One cannot stop them watching matches but dont make it easy for them
I'm glad someone else noticed that throwaway remark from that scouse twat this morning.

I hate the rags with a passion but i wish we had their PR dept, they make Pravda look like pussy cats

We just need Garry Cook back, and recruit a few slick PR/spin doctors (aka bullshitters) to work under him. Smiling assassins who don't care about manipulating the truth, the media and are willing to push the boundaries of business ethics as far as legally possible. Because the wankers in the media, Stamford Bridge and Trafford have these types in their ranks. Fight fire with fire.

I hate the rags with a passion but i wish we had their PR dept

Unless I'm getting job roles mixed up, united are more than welcome to keep them. We've been guilty of a couple of cringe videos but those dab university, pogback, noodle adverts, movie trailers etc are absolutely fucking diabolical.

Seriously, unless we're trying to appeal primarily to eight year old Stormzy fans and the kind of semi pubescent forever-nerds who think the Avengers is the pinnacle of cinema then I don't think they'd be of much use to us.

Well if you want to know what our PR department are actually doing have a look at the catwalk thread. The press can slander and libel us but hey we've got a catwalk for our players!!! Absolutely unbelievable, you couldn't make it up.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.