MCFC U16's

That would be incredible. I think our academy might finally get the recognition it deserves if that was to happen.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility. He's allegedly the standout in an exceptional u15s team. Captains England and everything at his age group. When you consider the family City factor then the chances of him hanging around increase even more. I'd go as far as saying it probably will happen!

It's not beyond the realms of possibility. He's allegedly the standout in an exceptional u15s team. Captains England and everything at his age group. When you consider the family City factor then the chances of him hanging around increase even more. I'd go as far as saying it probably will happen!

True! The story writes itself and seems that everything is on the right track. I almost wish I could fast forward 5-7 years to see what our team looks like and who's involved.

True! The story writes itself and seems that everything is on the right track. I almost wish I could fast forward 5-7 years to see what our team looks like and who's involved.

But think of all the success you'd miss along the way ;)

The future is very, very blue and it will be amazing to see these youth products integrated into the first team.

I'm still a bit skeptical about in future our team be majority from our academy, but I'd love if that happens

What I'd like to point out is that while like you I'm also skeptical about having a majority academy team (i personally believe its increasingly beyond any team who wishes to be best in the world) but we are without doubt the number one in the planet for investing in an academy and youth. Definitely exciting times ahead, and looks like we might change the DNA of the england team while we're at it

What I'd like to point out is that while like you I'm also skeptical about having a majority academy team (i personally believe its increasingly beyond any team who wishes to be best in the world) but we are without doubt the number one in the planet for investing in an academy and youth. Definitely exciting times ahead, and looks like we might change the DNA of the england team while we're at it

I actually do think it's very possible to have a majority academy team (especially for a club like us who will scour the globe for the best kids) because it basically assumes 1 player every 2 or 3 age groups makes it as a starter.

If you look at Barcelona's homegrown 10/11 team there were 8 academy players starting every game:

Puyol born 1978

Xavi born 1980

Valdes born 1982

Iniesta born 1984

Pique, Pedro, Messi born 1987

Busquets born 1988.

For the most part, ignoring the 1987 golden generation, you've got 1 player every couple of years making it into the 1st team.

So ask yourself if any 1 of our current 1999's (Brahim, Francis, Kigbu, Diallo, Dele-Bashiru) or 2000's (Foden, Rosler, Sancho, Poveda, Wilson, Latibeaudiere, Garre, Gonzalez) could get in the side?

I think everyone at the club would consider it a catastrophic failure if none of those names made it here long term. Any one of those could be our "Puyol" in a majority academy team 10 years from now. And then one from the 2001/2002 year group and so on.

Now Barcelona would have given 100 youth team players debuts in the 10 years between Xavi's debut and Busquets' debut, and only 8 made it into the first team for that 2010/2011 season, but at that point there were 8 starting players from the academy - the team was majority La Masia players. Some of those kids given debuts would have only got 1 or 2 caps, others would have got 100 caps but fallen away before that 10/11 season, but if you put in place a strong academy and managers who will use the kids, over time this can happen.

So it's really just about consistency over a sustained period.

In fact we could have already started if any of the 97/98 generation make it - Iheanacho, Maffeo, Angelino, Tosin, Garcia, Gunn etc.

Last edited:
Disagree about not having a majority of the 1st team from the academy in the future (emphasis on the future).

They're not going to suddenly supplant everybody with the U18's or U16's but over time the cream will rise to the top, yes we'll miss some who may suddenly click elsewhere after leaving but each position will slowly be filled by academy lads with the odd outstanding talent brought in. Hell, with the way transfer fees are going Fifa may step in and make it mandatory in which case we're already at the top of the tree (the rag fans should be worrying right now).

EDIT: Damn, I was typing this as domalino posted his reply above which explains it better :(

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.