Media Thread 2017/18

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just saw this quote in the Guardian’s ‘Premier League: 10 things to look out for this weekend’ feature.

I now live in the states, where I can thankfully watch nearly every match City plays on TV, including most friendlies. Of course it was at times difficult to find our matches when I was in god’s own city (and especially when I lived in Spain) but I thought that was improving as of late and hadn’t realised this sort of “blackout” was happening for us this season.

For those lucky/poor bastards (depending on your perspective) still living in the UK, is this actually happening? And, if so, what do you make of it?

Is there an agenda to keep our swashbuckling play away from the hungry eyes of the neutral?

Are United being shown in the same way or do they have more broadcast time?

Is this just a normal “blip” in scheduling that will correct itself as the season goes on?

Interested to hear everyone’s thoughts.
Its no blip. They dont do blips. They know the harm that showing us in this form will do to viewing figures.

I'm really glad that we have had so many 3pm and Saturday games. It's the proper football kick-off time and the way we've been winning means I'm up for watching the other games at the weekend.

I just saw this quote in the Guardian’s ‘Premier League: 10 things to look out for this weekend’ feature.

I now live in the states, where I can thankfully watch nearly every match City plays on TV, including most friendlies. Of course it was at times difficult to find our matches when I was in god’s own city (and especially when I lived in Spain) but I thought that was improving as of late and hadn’t realised this sort of “blackout” was happening for us this season.

For those lucky/poor bastards (depending on your perspective) still living in the UK, is this actually happening? And, if so, what do you make of it?

Is there an agenda to keep our swashbuckling play away from the hungry eyes of the neutral?

Is this just a normal “blip” in scheduling that will correct itself as the season goes on?

I may be wrong but I think that following the draw against Everton we were largely overlooked by the TV companies when they selected their October / November fixtures. I felt to an extent we were able to ‘fly a little’ under the radar and I believe that suited us. I fully expect to see more and more of our games on TV as the season develops.

There is also the effect of the Europa League fixtures meaning Arsenal/Everton are missing Saturday, and if City are playing CL on Tuesday, that means they have to play on Saturday. Those limit options for TV.

I don't think it's a big thing.

We really do have the weirdest fanbase. We are pretty much headlining MOTD every week and I am pretty sure Brighton, Bournemouth, Everton, Pool, Chelsea were all televised live which is 5 out of the 8 Premiership matches so far and yet there are suggestions our swashbuckling football is purposely being hidden from the tv screens.

Its no blip. They dont do blips. They know the harm that showing us in this form will do to viewing figures.

This is, of course, a double-edged sword. Whilst we have not been televised, the rags have been on every week. I bet they wish they hadn't because theirs is not a product they'd want the world to see. Even the thickest of individual can recognise a turd if it's held under their nose often enough.

In the meantime, the armchair viewer has to hear Merson et al, saying that they are embarrassed not to have paid for the privilege of watching us and wait for Game of the day (or whatever it's called) to see us. In it's own way, it's delicious.

City have actually featured the 2nd highest number of times for live PL TV coverage cumulatively over the last 3 seasons.

1st - United
2nd - City
3rd - Liverpool
4th= Chelsea and Arsenal
6th - Spurs

This is based on the TV facility fee payments.

City by season:

14/15 2nd (United 1st)
15/16 3rd (Arsenal 1st)
16/17 2nd= (Liverpool 1st)

FWIW, if anyone should have a grievance it is Spurs. They have have featured fewest times from the Big 6 in each of the last 3 seasons.

Last edited:
There's a lavish feature on Kevin - 'The Magic Man' - in The Times this morning by Oliver Kay - front and inside two pages.
Not sure why, but it makes me feel slightly uncomfortable, almost like I've had too much sun.

From an income point of view more UK TV means more for the Club but CFG are a Global Company.

Whilst our UK profile is important I believe they want to reach the World Market where football is emerging and new fans are more likely to affiliate themselves with City than the mature UK market that is, and for the forseable future will be, polarised therefore commercially biased towards history rather than the present and the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.