Media Thread 2017/18

Status
Not open for further replies.
which one i have four if you count the diagonal one

69 Cup final shirt favourite for me, but I think my first City shirt was the chequered black and red circa 1986. Those kit colours have been pretty lucky when you think the kit was black and red stripes in 2011/12 also.

69 Cup final shirt favourite for me, but I think my first City shirt was the chequered black and red circa 1986. Those kit colours have been pretty lucky when you think the kit was black and red stripes in 2011/12 also.

A bit off topic but back in 1969 I was mates with the son of a very senior City official and we entered a local parks, kids five a side competition. Somehow my mate got a set of the official cup final shirts to wear which were huge on us but we wore them and played as the "Red & Black Bombers" (we were 11). We won and got to meet the mayor of Sale. I've still got the newspaper article but wish to fuck I still had my shirt.

A bit off topic but back in 1969 I was mates with the son of a very senior City official and we entered a local parks, kids five a side competition. Somehow my mate got a set of the official cup final shirts to wear which were huge on us but we wore them and played as the "Red & Black Bombers" (we were 11). We won and got to meet the mayor of Sale. I've still got the newspaper article but wish to fuck I still had my shirt.

Great story and somthing you could not imagine now. Yes you should have kept the shirt, I think it might be worth more than your paper cutting.

I am not sure I read it completely like that. He does talk about the ‘darker corners of the internet’ and ‘mainstream moderates are given a bad name’ but take your point on how he infers others are influenced. I would also add he fails to mention the influence his own profession has for inciting false narratives and hate. Which arguably is much worse as they have more influence.

Fair point.

It's odd, but Jolly's twitter link to that piece has now vanished (unless i'm being particularly blind).

He did however find time to link to a 2 year old Croatian video of Jesus Navas' inability to cross as apparently it's 4 years since his last PL goal. Odd bloke!

I’m always happy to take on board criticism but this personal attack by Jolly crosses the line to an exceptional degree.

Firstly he pitched it to Tifo (I site who I work for three times a week) claiming it was about a couple of United twitter accounts. Having not read my Tyler piece Tifo published in good faith and this has put them in a very awkward position while causing me a great deal of distress.

Secondly, he clearly insinuates that I am little more than a disrespectful rabble-rouser who is trying to get a 72 year old the sack. Aside from that being utter nonsense (as if Sky are going to release their leading figure on the basis of a critical blog) on the rare occasions when I take aim I always target up (at Sky, BT, Mourinho etc). Here he fires down, an established journalist dumping from a height on a guy who is very much beneath him in the media food-chain. His piece was shared by a lot of writers I really look up to and they all heartily agreed (without knowing it was me or indeed knowing who I am) that I am – in his words – ‘a reprehensible figure’. That’s not a nice feeling.

I have written polemical articles before but I have never – nor would I ever – write something so vicious and personal and damaging yet he has the hypocritical front to accuse me throughout of being this ‘type’. It’s just a supercilious attack from start to finish.

The manner in which he looks down on me with disgust for not being a qualified journalist is unsavoury and astounding, an attack he continued with relish yesterday on twitter – again to potential employees and writers I admire. Truth is I wasn’t able to go to university (where I would have taken journalism because – as my mum delights in telling people – I’ve been obsessed with writing and magazine since I could walk) because my dream was taken from me by bad health. For over a decade I was bed-ridden with a serious disability and when my health improved enough I set up a website and I wrote and wrote and wrote for thousands of hours, getting better at it, until gradually, eventually I started getting paid. I now write for FourFourTwo, Betfair, Unibet, and have written for the Guardian. I’m very proud of reaching this point from where I started and for all of Jolly’s snobby portrayal of me bashing away opinionated hate (he calls me a ‘lunatic’ and a ‘fundamentalist’) in a spare bedroom this is actually my livelihood and 95% of the time I write about Hartlepool, and Petr Cech, and the anniversary of Law, Best and Charlton playing together for the first time. I am self-employed and writing puts food on my family’s table.

Jolly purposefully endangered that yesterday because he took exception to an article about Martin Tyler.

He doesn’t name me at any point (though he has admitted via DM on twitter that it is about me) but the fact that a few people on here and via text to me have recognised that it’s about me makes me believe that I may have legal discourse available to me. This has damaged my professional reputation. It threatened whatever standing I’ve spent five hard years slowly building up. It’s also absolutely floored me.

It should also be noted that if you’ve ever read anything of mine then according to Jolly you are an ‘army of idiots’.

I’ve been advised to stay quiet about this. Let it become tomorrow’s virtual chip wrapping. Because Jolly has friends in the right place. I can see that but I also know you can’t treat people like this.

Last edited:
It is just the sort of article I would expect from a freelance who works for the Guardian. He is part of the patronising sneering metropolitan media which looks down on working class football fans. He doesn't understand that lots of people have got a voice these days. I don't agree with many comments made on this forum and there are plenty of crazies on social media but it's ironic that Jolly, who makes a living spouting his views, describes others as "attention seeking narcissists." If he really believes that City have been treated fairly by most of the mainstream media in recent years then he is a fool.

I’m always happy to take on board criticism but this personal attack by Jolly crosses the line to an exceptional degree.

Firstly he pitched it to Tifo (I site who I work for three times a week) claiming it was about a couple of United twitter accounts. Having not read my Tyler piece Tifo published in good faith and this has put them in a very awkward position while causing me a great deal of distress.

Secondly, he clearly insinuates that I am little more than a disrespectful rabble-rouser who is trying to get a 72 year old the sack. Aside from that being utter nonsense (as if Sky are going to release their leading figure on the basis of a critical blog) on the rare occasions when I take aim I always target up (at Sky, BT, Mourinho etc). Here he fires down, an established journalist dumping from a height on a guy who is very much beneath him in the media food-chain. His piece was shared by a lot of writers I really look up to and they all heartily agreed (without knowing it was me or indeed knowing who I am) that I am – in his words – ‘a reprehensible figure’. That’s not a nice feeling.

I have written polemical articles before but I have never – nor would I ever – write something so vicious and personal and damaging yet he has the hypocritical front to accuse me throughout of being this ‘type’. It’s just a supercilious attack from start to finish.

The manner in which he looks down on me with disgust for not being a qualified journalist is unsavoury and astounding, an attack he continued with relish yesterday on twitter – again to potential employees and writers I admire. Truth is I wasn’t able to go to university (where I would have taken journalism because – as my mum delights in telling people – I’ve been obsessed with writing and magazine since I could walk) because my dream was taken from me by bad health. For over a decade I was bed-ridden with a serious disability and when my health improved enough I set up a website and I wrote and wrote and wrote for thousands of hours, getting better at it, until gradually, eventually I started getting paid. I now write for FourFourTwo, Betfair, Unibet, and have written for the Guardian. I’m very proud of reaching this point from where I started and for all of Jolly’s snobby portrayal of me bashing away opinionated hate (he calls me a ‘lunatic’ and a ‘fundamentalist’) in a spare bedroom this is actually my livelihood. I am self-employed and writing puts food on my family’s table.

Jolly purposeful endangered that yesterday because he took exception to an article about Martin Tyler.

He doesn’t name me at any point (though he has admitted via DM on twitter that it is about me) but the fact that a few people on here and via text to me have recognised that it’s about me makes me believe that I may have legal discourse available to me. This has damaged my professional reputation. It threatened whatever standing I’ve spent five hard years slowly building up. It’s also absolutely floored me.

It should also be noted that if you’ve ever read anything of mine then according to Jolly you are an ‘army of idiots’.

I’ve been advised to stay quiet about this. Let it become tomorrow’s virtual chip wrapping. Because Jolly has friends in the right place. I can see that but I also know you can’t treat people like this.
Don't get sucked in by this. People like Jolly represent the past, not the future of publishing. The Guardian is not relevant outside the M25 and, for the most part, sneers and patronises football fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.