Media Thread 2017/18

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m always happy to take on board criticism but this personal attack by Jolly crosses the line to an exceptional degree.

Firstly he pitched it to Tifo (I site who I work for three times a week) claiming it was about a couple of United twitter accounts. Having not read my Tyler piece Tifo published in good faith and this has put them in a very awkward position while causing me a great deal of distress.

Secondly, he clearly insinuates that I am little more than a disrespectful rabble-rouser who is trying to get a 72 year old the sack. Aside from that being utter nonsense (as if Sky are going to release their leading figure on the basis of a critical blog) on the rare occasions when I take aim I always target up (at Sky, BT, Mourinho etc). Here he fires down, an established journalist dumping from a height on a guy who is very much beneath him in the media food-chain. His piece was shared by a lot of writers I really look up to and they all heartily agreed (without knowing it was me or indeed knowing who I am) that I am – in his words – ‘a reprehensible figure’. That’s not a nice feeling.

I have written polemical articles before but I have never – nor would I ever – write something so vicious and personal and damaging yet he has the hypocritical front to accuse me throughout of being this ‘type’. It’s just a supercilious attack from start to finish.

The manner in which he looks down on me with disgust for not being a qualified journalist is unsavoury and astounding, an attack he continued with relish yesterday on twitter – again to potential employees and writers I admire. Truth is I wasn’t able to go to university (where I would have taken journalism because – as my mum delights in telling people – I’ve been obsessed with writing and magazine since I could walk) because my dream was taken from me by bad health. For over a decade I was bed-ridden with a serious disability and when my health improved enough I set up a website and I wrote and wrote and wrote for thousands of hours, getting better at it, until gradually, eventually I started getting paid. I now write for FourFourTwo, Betfair, Unibet, and have written for the Guardian. I’m very proud of reaching this point from where I started and for all of Jolly’s snobby portrayal of me bashing away opinionated hate (he calls me a ‘lunatic’ and a ‘fundamentalist’) in a spare bedroom this is actually my livelihood and 95% of the time I write about Hartlepool, and Petr Cech, and the anniversary of Law, Best and Charlton playing together for the first time. I am self-employed and writing puts food on my family’s table.

Jolly purposefully endangered that yesterday because he took exception to an article about Martin Tyler.

He doesn’t name me at any point (though he has admitted via DM on twitter that it is about me) but the fact that a few people on here and via text to me have recognised that it’s about me makes me believe that I may have legal discourse available to me. This has damaged my professional reputation. It threatened whatever standing I’ve spent five hard years slowly building up. It’s also absolutely floored me.

It should also be noted that if you’ve ever read anything of mine then according to Jolly you are an ‘army of idiots’.

I’ve been advised to stay quiet about this. Let it become tomorrow’s virtual chip wrapping. Because Jolly has friends in the right place. I can see that but I also know you can’t treat people like this.

Mate, you need to ignore this shit. Jolly is ignored by his peers for good reason.

He's a furtive dysfunctional dweeb.

ok MEUN how can somebody say your not scum
https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...-news/man-utd-arsenal-sanchez-salary-14173734

(It is the club's bank account those wages will come out of after all)

truly unbelievable that somebody from the media can show his or her colours

But of course if City had been offering Sanchez a financial package remotely approaching the one the rags have put on the table the entire media pack would be frothing at the mouth about how we're ruining football.

Appreciate that mate but it certainly wasn't ignored yesterday on Twitter. Was shared around by pretty much all the top writers. Was hugely embarrassing.

Who gives a fuck, really?

Twitter? Seriously, mate?

Do these people put food on your table? Are they your friends? You're a freelance journalist, only as good as your next story - not even yesterday's fish and chip paper - dead data.

Leave your insecurities at the door, it doesn't matter one jot if you went to university or not.

I've been in the industry coming on for 30 years and it has been very good to me - never went to Uni - folks didn't have a pot to piss in.

Own it.

It will always about being able to source and recognise a story. Any fucker can write rambling prose.

Even Ric, FFS.

Appreciate that mate but it certainly wasn't ignored yesterday on Twitter. Was shared around by pretty much all the top writers. Was hugely embarrassing.

To be honest from what you've said it seems more embarrassing for him, particularly his pitch to Tifo football being misleading, and the jabs at not being a traditional journalist, which screams of the fear you get when people realise their job isn't protected by access to a degree any more.

You have a body of work which lays to waste his depiction of you in the article, the people who are telling you it's tomorrow's chip paper are correct.

Tolmie is right LT, soon gets forgotten about, I love reading your stuff and I really hope that pathetic dig at you, doesn't stop you doing what you do, or change your writing style and subjects.

Keep up the good work, lad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.