Melbourne City FC Thread

Don't really deserve anything from this game. But here's hoping. 20 minutes to go.

Finished 4-1.

Think the manager will go. Mooy will, Novillo probably, maybe Fornaroli as well. CFG have a big job just standing still let alone moving forward.

Finished 4-1.

Think the manager will go. Mooy will, Novillo probably, maybe Fornaroli as well. CFG have a big job just standing still let alone moving forward.

To be fair, the entire setup of the league seems designed to promote it being hard to sustain a title challenge year-on-year. The salary cap is abysmally low, you're only allowed five foreigners in the entire squad and until recently only one of them was allowed to be paid "marquee" wages, which give the squad cap effectively equates to "more than a couple of hundred thousand a year". The low profile of the league also makes it very hard to entice top players over even as a final payday - I've just Googled it and an Aussie news source back in late 2014 rated Patrick Zwaanswijk (look him up) as one of the best 10 players in league history, in a top 10 which included only two other foreigners (Del Piero and Dwight Yorke the other two). You could probably name on one hand the number of non-Australians who we might have heard of who have ever played in the A-League.

The problem is that, unlike other developing or niche market leagues, the A-League has the handicap of mainly having club owners who are consortia of local businessmen, whose net worth is often barely a few million if that. Most club owners are barely willing to countenance half a million in losses a season and several clubs have not been able to afford a single marquee player in several years, let alone the three the league allows. The problem therefore is that the FFA don't want an unbalanced League so they keep their rules at a level which supports those clubs, thus making it relatively difficult to actually use CFG's money to produce lasting results. The fact that (and I know I've brought this up here before recently) they introduced a rule at the 11th minute to stop Lampard from being sent there because it would be unfair is telling.

I agree that JVS has to go though. The recent run of good form doesn't change the fact that he's one of the worst managers in the league's history - his win percentage is still something like 30%.

Tomorrow night we kick of the pre season with a game against Port Melbourne a local npl side. Half the squad has left or have been moved on and slowly new players have been announced. Today Neil Kilkenny from Preston North End signed a 2 year contract. He joins Manny Muscat from Phoenix, Bruce Kamau and Ruon Tongyik from Adelaide, and Luke Brattan from Brisbane via Manchester City. So really Brattan and Kilkenny would be the only genuine starting players. Most of the talk is of signing Cahill on a new year long guest stint. The other interesting rumour is that we are looking at an Argentinian Fernando Brandan, the hopes are he is as good as Fornaroli. So along way to before seasons start I think early October, we still have a couple visa spots available and a Marquee spot so hopefully CFG can land 3 or so gun players.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.