Melbourne City FC Thread

Tomorrow night we kick of the pre season with a game against Port Melbourne a local npl side. Half the squad has left or have been moved on and slowly new players have been announced. Today Neil Kilkenny from Preston North End signed a 2 year contract. He joins Manny Muscat from Phoenix, Bruce Kamau and Ruon Tongyik from Adelaide, and Luke Brattan from Brisbane via Manchester City. So really Brattan and Kilkenny would be the only genuine starting players. Most of the talk is of signing Cahill on a new year long guest stint. The other interesting rumour is that we are looking at an Argentinian Fernando Brandan, the hopes are he is as good as Fornaroli. So along way to before seasons start I think early October, we still have a couple visa spots available and a Marquee spot so hopefully CFG can land 3 or so gun players.
Has Fornaroli gone as well?

With him and Mooy gone it'd be a shame as the team was progressing and looking like winners from time to time.

Has Fornaroli gone as well?

With him and Mooy gone it'd be a shame as the team was progressing and looking like winners from time to time.

No, Fornaroli's still there - although he's supposed to be taking up one of the marquee spots this year but hasn't actually agreed a new contract yet, so his future isn't 100% secured.

They are supposed to be about to sign Tim Cahill, at least, and there's been talk of a "big name marquee" coming in too, in a deal which is reportedly already signed and sealed, although absolutely nothing as to who that might be or when they will arrive which is testing the patience of the fans (and the credibility of the rumour).

Blue shirts from 2017 been approved by FFA. Don't think CFG would have rested until that happened.

I think this was a trade off to bring in Cahill. The League is the process of a new TV deal and it's perceived as lacking big name players. No club where in a position to bring in Cahill so the FFA changed the rules and introduced a subsidized fund to make this happen. So basically it's a third Marquee and the League pays for some of it. Now there are conditions the player has to be seen as being worthy and will be required to do marketing and promoting the League. The obvious deal is a back down on the colour restriction. So in effect CFG will be able to play in whatever strip they want ("City Blue").

Blue shirts from 2017 been approved by FFA. Don't think CFG would have rested until that happened.

So in effect CFG will be able to play in whatever strip they want ("City Blue").

What are the supporters thoughts on this? The initial change provoked anger - does this matter as much?

There's outrage from our supporters thhat they've introduced navy sleeves on our kit, so I sympathise...

I think what rankled most was the white almost nothing strip that we've been using. Even that one has a navy blue stripe.

The navy blue is really horrible it's the other team in this city's colour.

I think most are resigned to the fact that at some point our home shirt will be sky blue and it's better to do it sooner rather than later. I also think a few are holding onto the hope that the red and white away is kept. Me personally not too fussed as long as it looks good and these new nike shirts are pretty rotten.

Fornaroli has been elevated to Marquee for 3 seasons.
Cahill signed for 2 seasons and a third as a coaches position similar to Viera.

Not 100% sure but that leaves 1 Marquee and 1 visa spot left.
Into the round of 16 of FFA and meet Brisbane Strikers 2nd tier side in 2 weeks.

All up squad is looking balanced. Only question lingers can the manager put together a plan/structure to do justice to the squad. With him announcing this is his last season if we don't get of to good start he may be changed sooner rather than later.

Cp3KGspVMAAqJyJ.jpg:large

Its supposed to be winter currently....

I left the UK to return to Oz about two weeks back. Gave myself a holiday over there, caught the City v Bayern friendly in Munich and met up with some top blues.

Anyway I left Heathrow at 9:00 in the morning. It was colder when I left then what it was when I arrived in Sydney at 10:00 at night.

Actually it has been a cold winter. Although today was a peach, 18 and in the sun perfect.

These are this seasons new kit. For me it's still a bit of a nothing strip, but it is better than last season.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.