MEN - United have "embarrassed" City over academy graduates

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never said any of the above. I said they attracted all the youngsters without having to try. However, at no stage did I say any of them 'made' it. Indeed, very few prospects reach the standard top clubs demand - which is why rags, Chelsea etc don't play them unless it's a dead rubber. You imply scum give more youth players a chance. My argument is that when we bridge the timescale gap, we'll give youth at least the same chance as any other top club. At the moment, those players are only just reaching 16/18.

The 'timescale gap', implies that Utd had talent & we didn't.

I'm saying the opposite is true, we had the talent, they had the guts to play theirs & theirs became adult footballers whilst ours dropped in standard & left for obscurity.

I'm also saying, it will destroy the future of our academy, if we don't change quickly.

I have no interest in what they win, our academy is better, irrespective. But Giggs has a fair argument when he suggests that the current reserve league is not fit for purpose & that older players should also play in it, to pass on their experience to team mates & provide stiffer test in opposition. It's an argument many agree with.

Without that older help,their team would not win it though.

It's fair to say that we now have a young kids team who are mostly not quite ready. A few are still good enough to be tested though & should be.

But we have moved out most of the kids who should have been tested in the first team in recent seasons & most will never come back. They were old enough & good enough imo.
I am sure Giggs does miss the day when utd could field full internationals who spent almost their entire utd careers in the second system, Gibson Evans O`Shea and brown
every player who has left us in recent years will have their reasons and will have had consultations about their future , but most will have been moved out so they did not block our future

It's human nature.

So many complacent people on here, just accepting everything will be alright & we just do nothing.

I'm absolutely convinced that if the team from a few seasons ago, with Barker, Kean Bryan etc, had been given the opportunities they deserved, at the right time, we would now be fairly relaxed watching one or two of them playing first team football for City.

It has to change, quickly, or the academy will become just a set of buildings.

Barker has always been a good prospect and that was his pinnacle. He was given chances at a higher level but always looked physically challenged and out of his depth and comfort zone. So what happened, same thing that always happens he was never going to be given a lengthy run on his showing so he was loaned out to what was considered to be an appropriate level of competition for him at that time. For Barker you could read many names, what's wrong with that strategy?

Unfortunately I am starting to agree with some of the sentiments of the article. If Pep spends 35 million on a 23 year old goalkeeper with only 37 semi meaningful games since 2015, before giving Angus Gunn, a supposed prospect for the future England number one slot, it tells me that Pep has no intention of using the accademy. I can't help but think it's £35 million we could spend better elsewhere.

Barker has always been a good prospect and that was his pinnacle. He was given chances at a higher level but always looked physically challenged and out of his depth and comfort zone. So what happened, same thing that always happens he was never going to be given a lengthy run on his showing so he was loaned out to what was considered to be an appropriate level of competition for him at that time. For Barker you could read many names, what's wrong with that strategy?

When was he given these 'chances' ? Was he so terrible in the ten mins at Chelsea ? Why wasn't he picked much earlier when he was on top form, why the wait ?

What about all the others, & those before ? What did Rony Lopes do that was so bad he couldn't have had a few more sub appearences ? Why didn't Denayer play a single game when he returned from Celtic ? Why didn't Devante Cole get even five mins, just in case he could nick us a goal ? It doesn't matter whether they would have made it or not, they were all at some point, worth the chance. It would have been no harsdhip to us to try them, none at all. It could have maybe helped us pick up points with wild cards coming on.

Why do almost all other clubs seem to find a way of getting these kind of kids on the pitch fro time to time & so often we see them have an impact, yet for us it's impossible & dangerous ?

Unfortunately I am starting to agree with some of the sentiments of the article. If Pep spends 35 million on a 23 year old goalkeeper with only 37 semi meaningful games since 2015, before giving Angus Gunn, a supposed prospect for the future England number one slot, it tells me that Pep has no intention of using the accademy. I can't help but think it's £35 million we could spend better elsewhere.

That's a crazy sentiment. We have 1 goalkeeper with experience. We would be 1 injury away from using a totally untried keeper just to keep the media happy. Whilst Gunn might be one for the future he needs to gain experience in games that 2 or 3 errors do not see him crucified. As Chelsea set the benchmark for winning the league with only 5 losses all season a simple hamstring injury to our one experienced keeper could see our league hopes disintegrate before the end of September. Whilst Ederson may only have 37 "meaningful" games they have been first team league and Champions league level. You cannot be seriously saying that Gunn is at the same level.

Barker 100% wasn't given chances when he needed them. He was put on the bench for something like 10 games without ever getting on, played EDS football for another year, got more and more frustrated, eventually forced through a loan move to Rotherham, which was always gonna be a terrible idea and now is going through the motions. You've gotta strike while the iron is hot, not while it's cooled down and while the players have lost their momentum through feeling that their best won't ever be good enough. And it's not just Barker, see Kean Bryan, see Thierry Ambrose, see Gunn and so on. Lopes actually did fantastically well at 17, creating two...then disappeared. Loads were doing excellent things at 17/18. None of them got a chance when they were warranting it and instead faffed around. Just a couple of sub appearances is all it would have taken. We had Ambrose on the bench, 3-0 up at home to WBA. He was flying...we brought on Sinclair instead for 20 minutes. A man who left the club two months later anyway. Why? Just why? And dont say to put him in the shop window cos that's a load of bollocks. It's just managers being terrible at integration.

That's a crazy sentiment. We have 1 goalkeeper with experience. We would be 1 injury away from using a totally untried keeper just to keep the media happy. Whilst Gunn might be one for the future he needs to gain experience in games that 2 or 3 errors do not see him crucified. As Chelsea set the benchmark for winning the league with only 5 losses all season a simple hamstring injury to our one experienced keeper could see our league hopes disintegrate before the end of September. Whilst Ederson may only have 37 "meaningful" games they have been first team league and Champions league level. You cannot be seriously saying that Gunn is at the same level.

I have no problem with us signing Ederson & I think Bravo is a top keeper, who lost his arse, but the idea that playing Gunn last season, would have been a bigger risk than playing Bravo, is just not feasible. It was a matter of preference, not risk.

When was he given these 'chances' ? Was he so terrible in the ten mins at Chelsea ? Why wasn't he picked much earlier when he was on top form, why the wait ?

What about all the others, & those before ? What did Rony Lopes do that was so bad he couldn't have had a few more sub appearences ? Why didn't Denayer play a single game when he returned from Celtic ? Why didn't Devante Cole get even five mins, just in case he could nick us a goal ? It doesn't matter whether they would have made it or not, they were all at some point, worth the chance. It would have been no harsdhip to us to try them, none at all. It could have maybe helped us pick up points with wild cards coming on.

Why do almost all other clubs seem to find a way of getting these kind of kids on the pitch fro time to time & so often we see them have an impact, yet for us it's impossible & dangerous ?

Barker had his chance at Rotherham and didn't pull up any trees in what turned out to be a very short loan! And the others you mentioned, exactly what have they done (Denayer apart) since. Denayer was a strange one, from POS at Celtic to an indifferent season (he couldn't get a guaranteed start at Sunderland) and now the latest. Possibly there is more to Denayer than we are privileged to know.

I am saying we need to try Gunn before shelling out 35 million, yes. I am very serious. Mancini did it with Hart at the expense of Given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.