Merry bloody Xmas - no heating or hot water!

Prestwich_Blue

Just had the annual service on the boiler and was told it was leaking carbon monoxide and had to be shut down and disconnected from the gas supply. So going into Xmas with no central heating or hot water and nothing can be done for another week. The boiler was pretty old and better safe than sorry I suppose but we're supposed to be moving out in a month or so and really didn't want to have to spend money on a new boiler. And we don't have an immersion heater so no alternative source of hot water.

The upside is that British Gas said they'll do it for half price as it's an old boiler and I'm going to ask the buyers for half of that so it's hopefully not that bad a hit. Plus it looks like it's going to be quite mild. Ah well, they say central heating is unhealthy....

Had the same issue last year myself - fan heaters and the kettle boiling permanently......Fun times,not - you have my empathy and sympathy.

Sorry to hear pal.

We've been turfed out of our flat by Network Rail for the Castlefield Ordsall Chord works.

Upside is we've been decently compensated.

Just had the annual service on the boiler and was told it was leaking carbon monoxide and had to be shut down and disconnected from the gas supply. So going into Xmas with no central heating or hot water and nothing can be done for another week. The boiler was pretty old and better safe than sorry I suppose but we're supposed to be moving out in a month or so and really didn't want to have to spend money on a new boiler. And we don't have an immersion heater so no alternative source of hot water.

The upside is that British Gas said they'll do it for half price as it's an old boiler and I'm going to ask the buyers for half of that so it's hopefully not that bad a hit. Plus it looks like it's going to be quite mild. Ah well, they say central heating is unhealthy....

But not as unhealthy as freezing to death.

I have been there. Not nice.

Sorry to hear that pal, hint far the new house: log burner. I'm sat in front of mine now

But not as unhealthy as freezing to death.

I have been there. Not nice.
Not much of a choice - carbon monoxide poisoning or freezing to death. Like choosing your favourite war criminal.

Funnily enough we had a similar problem exactly 30 years ago when my ex was expecting our son, as it's just coming up to his 30th birthday in a few days. She'd been in hospital, they let her out and something broke down on Xmas eve leaving us without heating or hot water.

It's just the lack of hot water that's a pain as the shower is fed directly from the hot tank. Fortunately my aunt is just over the road and our kid's not far away so got somewhere to take a hot shower when I need it. And I'm old enough to remember the days before we had central heating.

Get down to B&Q and get a couple of stand alone radiators that you plug in and keep one room warm,i have one for when my boiler plays up and you'll always have them as back up in future

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.