Metal detecting and finds

blue44

Team supported
St Marks West Gorton
My dad is a serious metal detector for 20 plus years,although age is making him slow down now,anyway

One of his many finds has been included in 1 of the best 20 finds in the uk over the last 20 years ,its part of "PAS " the Portable Antiquities Scheme.

His find is number 13 on the list,you can click to vote for any of the others,his find that he found with 2 of his other mates is called the " Binham Hoard ",they found these artifacts in east Anglia,here is the link,feel free to vote for him, number 13 Binham Hoard.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/wellbeing/mood-and-mind/treasure-20-vote-favourite/?WT.mc_id=tmg_share_fb

Thought about it as the rivers round here have gold in them. Watched a couple of guys a few months ago whilst out with the dogs and he showed me some flour gold. I'm sure these guys didn't have the required paperwork or permissions off the landowners either side of the river but the £20,000 fine would sure sharpen your senses. It's the thought of finding something that has been lying around under a rock for millions for years that no one else has seen or touched. Oh and the money of course.

There's lots of channels on YouTube that do this stuff. They usually find fuck all but watching it is very relaxing for me

My dads the chairman of a metal detecting club,they go out and get land before hand and then try their luck ,most ly in yorkshire,everything they do is for historical value not the money ! but it must be great to find something valuable

My dads house is just rammed with showcases full of Saxon,Viking Roman,medieval coinage etc.I think for that Binham Hoard,him and his 2 mates will get a couple of thousand each (they share everything 3 ways ) plus the landowner normally a farmer receives half.

about 15 years years ago one of his mates found a ring near warrington,he got about 50 thousand for it,it was dated roughly the medieval period,probably belonging to a high rank churchman,i actually held it once and it was beyond beautiful.

My take on this is that there was no Santander Nat West or barclays back in the day. Peps isas or shorting the dow were unheard of. What did you do for your family after you got tilled up after the bills were paid ? Anyone ? ...

That's right you buried it. And on the way home were mugged, took a poisin arrow to the heart and negative equity by the bucketful. Fifteen hundred years later up pops the Binham Hord. So how much is buried beneath our feet?

Last edited:
My dad and his club would lynch " night hawkers " or tossers like them,as usual a small minority ruins the integrity of the many.
Detectorists-014.jpg

Used to know a fella that travelled round the Spanish coast every summer in a camper van, metal detecting at paddling depth in the sea. Finding gold necklaces, bracelets, rings and the like. Funded his summers and some

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.