Middlesbrough post-match thread

Excellent win in what could have been a tough game but apart from the usual profligate finishing one thing that did annoy me was the subs.

Once we went 2-0 up, he swapped Sane for Nolito, which was OK but wouldn't have been my first priority. He should have made made the 2 other subs at that point to rest key players. De Bruyne was looking a bit heavy-legged and Silva should have been protected. I'd have brought the two Ferns on for two of KDB, Yaya and Silva at that point. The last sub (swapping Sergio for Kelechi with seconds remaining) was completely pointless.

Excellent win in what could have been a tough game but apart from the usual profligate finishing one thing that did annoy me was the subs.

Once we went 2-0 up, he swapped Sane for Nolito, which was OK but wouldn't have been my first priority. He should have made made the 2 other subs at that point to rest key players. De Bruyne was looking a bit heavy-legged and Silva should have been protected. I'd have brought the two Ferns on for two of KDB, Yaya and Silva at that point. The last sub (swapping Sergio for Kelechi with seconds remaining) was completely pointless.

Know what you mean. I was very concerned that he took YaYa off. It suggests he's playing on Wednesday which for me is a mistake.

He's doing the flat track bully thing just fine, spraying passes about, but he's still getting run past every week. Fernandinho should be holding for me.

Know what you mean. I was very concerned that he took YaYa off. It suggests he's playing on Wednesday which for me is a mistake.

He's doing the flat track bully thing just fine, spraying passes about, but he's still getting run past every week. Fernandinho should be holding for me.
Really agree about Yaya. He dictates our game from deep and against Boro he was able to effect and control the game at times, but against better teams who play with a lot more energy he is a defensive liability. Fernandinho should be playing in his place for the biggest games.

Regarding Boro subs I think Guardiola would have made the changes earlier had we got a 3rd. At 2-0, 1 goal could have totally changed the complexion of the game and lifted them.

Minor concern is our finishing at it seems to actually just be getting worse. I don't think I've seen a team who collectively finish as poorly as we do. Sane and Silva were terrible in front of goal and Sterling is ridiculously poor at trying to time a first time shot from a cross. Other than, we were exceptional. One of these days we will smash someone by 6 or 7.

I would say a major concern not minor as you posted.

I am still at a loss to understand how the final pass that puts the ball between such large goal area is so difficult for a team that trains and uses passing as its vehicle to generate chances to score.
We even rejected JH in favour of Bravo because our manager prefers passing ability to goal stopping skills.

Surely Pep cannot condone this final pass failure with those who choose to shoot. Does our strike force like to be too clever with their good chances or are they all simply not good enough when it comes to scoring making a simple striker without any frills our next priority.

We are not clinical but for the first time in several games at least our shots were hitting the target.

I don't think I have seen a City team miss so many chances in the game. Could have very easily been another 6-0. Sane has added something to City's attacking play even though against Stoke and Boro he wasn't quite at his best.

I am still at a loss to understand how the final pass that puts the ball between such large goal area is so difficult for a team that trains and uses passing as its vehicle to generate chances to score.
We even rejected JH in favour of Bravo because our manager prefers passing ability to goal stopping skills.

Surely Pep cannot condone this final pass failure with those who choose to shoot. Does our strike force like to be too clever with their good chances or are they all simply not good enough when it comes to scoring making a simple striker without any frills our next priority.

We are not clinical but for the first time in several games at least our shots were hitting the target.

It is a major worry when we are unable to put teams to bed. I couldn't believe how twice it was on a plate for Sterling and he completely missed the ball or miss kicked it completely. Despite having fantast attacking talent we seem to struggle with actually putting it in the net. Against crap teams we will manage, against better opposition will become an issue.

We have a number of players like Silva, Navas, Sterling whose finishing is poor. Silva even mis-hit his goal, although everything else he does is just about perfect. Aguero should be scoring a lot more goals than he is doing at the moment although he was a bit unlucky against boro (when he hit the post). Sterling also had a goal ruled out that I think should have stood. So we could quite easily be talking about another big away win

It is a major worry when we are unable to put teams to bed. I couldn't believe how twice it was on a plate for Sterling and he completely missed the ball or miss kicked it completely. Despite having fantast attacking talent we seem to struggle with actually putting it in the net. Against crap teams we will manage, against better opposition will become an issue.
It is an issue now

We commit a huge amount to attacking inevitably leaving ourselves open at the back, so taking so few chances is costly. Should have beaten Spurs and Chelsea at home this season but for poor finishing

I feel we may have partly addressed this though Sane and jesus though bit too soon to say for sure

I also though the subs could have been better used. Sane and sterling are becoming key players, he got Sane off and I thought Silva would soon follow! Silva was left on all game and the other subs were at the death when it made no real impact. Nacho is left footed and i would like to see him given a go in Sane's role in the last 20mins of these sorts of games as it would give a knackered full back a whole different set of problems to deal with.

We have a number of players like Silva, Navas, Sterling whose finishing is poor. Silva even mis-hit his goal, although everything else he does is just about perfect. Aguero should be scoring a lot more goals than he is doing at the moment although he was a bit unlucky against boro (when he hit the post). Sterling also had a goal ruled out that I think should have stood. So we could quite easily be talking about another big away win

We at least hit the target more often so now perhaps we were unlucky with some of the non scoring chances. Lets hope so but I remember Bony being bought presumably for his goalscoring capability yet he failed miserably with us.

I think even Jimmy Greaves in his heyday would have struggled playing for us at the moment.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.