Mikel Arteta

Him and Wenger aren't even on speaking terms, having chosen to go to City.

He will be signing a new City deal shortly.

Fantastic news if true. I'm wondering if City are no longer thinking about Veiera as the potential future manager, but rather Arteta. Will be interesting to see. Patrick needs to take a European job soon imo

You could teach Arteta to be Pep as much as you could teach Kevin Horlock to be Kevin De Bruyne. He may make a very decent Manager but if Neverton or Arsenil (or even City for that matter) think they would get a Pep clone.........it's not going to happen.

You could teach Arteta to be Pep as much as you could teach Kevin Horlock to be Kevin De Bruyne. He may make a very decent Manager but if Neverton or Arsenil (or even City for that matter) think they would get a Pep clone.........it's not going to happen.

Yeah, it's an unfair expectation anymore than hoping Giggs was going to be the next SAF. In Pep's case, he was schooled not just at La Masia but under Cruyff himself - Mikel will never have that luxury and a few seasons under Pep and the few at Barcelona won't change that really

In that regard, very curious to see what sort of coach Xavi will make

A lot of coaches have been bigged up to be the reason a manager does well, 90% of the time it's bullshit & when put in the hot seat most fail. Arteta would be wise to stay where he is .

Yes lets not forget Bryan Robson was the next in line to be manager(according to the press)while still playing there and for like 10 years after he left. Other than Liverpool no team in England has been able to organically create top managers internally for 40 odd years,

Yeah, it's an unfair expectation anymore than hoping Giggs was going to be the next SAF. In Pep's case, he was schooled not just at La Masia but under Cruyff himself - Mikel will never have that luxury and a few seasons under Pep and the few at Barcelona won't change that really

In that regard, very curious to see what sort of coach Xavi will make
So being schooled by Pep is inferior to being schooled by Cruyff, is what you are saying. Why?

So being schooled by Pep is inferior to being schooled by Cruyff, is what you are saying. Why?

Because at 19 years of age you are more likely to learn considerably more playing under a brilliant coaching mind like Cruyff than someone in their mid 30s merely being an assistant. Apples & oranges. Pep grew up weaned on the Cruyff way, he only knew to play one way

Arteta came to La Masia at 15 and was quickly loaned out by 18 and never made enough of an impression much less learn from Xavi or Guardiola to understand the concepts of the play. Even when you see his play in the Premiership years later, he looks more a Basque style player than a Cruyffist

Even another Basque in Valverde had more exposure to both Pep & Cruyff and he remains a 4-4-2 guru

Because at 19 years of age you are more likely to learn considerably more playing under a brilliant coaching mind like Cruyff than someone in their mid 30s merely being an assistant. Apples & oranges. Pep grew up weaned on the Cruyff way, he only knew to play one way

Arteta came to La Masia at 15 and was quickly loaned out by 18 and never made enough of an impression much less learn from Xavi or Guardiola to understand the concepts of the play. Even when you see his play in the Premiership years later, he looks more a Basque style player than a Cruyffist
I think you are being overly dismissive. Arteta may or may not succeed as a coach, but he is working on a daily basis with the best coach in world football and someone who excels at improving his protégés. You don’t stop learning in your mid 30’s. Don’t think you can write him off at this stage.

Has there ever in football history been a manager who was groomed to be a successor, who actually became that successor and succeeded? I can honestly only think of the Liverpool appointments in the 70s and 80s. Football clubs have always coveted these number 2s to great managers but invariably they fail. Probably because they are cheap. Our very own Brian Kidd was one once and nearly became our manager. Being a successful manager requires a wide combination of skills, most of which are part of people's personality and you can't learn them. Being liked, being trusted, being a leader, being intelligent, being fair, handling pressure well...these things you can't learn.

I've no idea whether Arteta is a potential big name manager or not, but if he leaves he leaves. No big deal to me.

Has there ever in football history been a manager who was groomed to be a successor, who actually became that successor and succeeded? I can honestly only think of the Liverpool appointments in the 70s and 80s. Football clubs have always coveted these number 2s to great managers but invariably they fail. Probably because they are cheap. Our very own Brian Kidd was one once and nearly became our manager. Being a successful manager requires a wide combination of skills, most of which are part of people's personality and you can't learn them. Being liked, being trusted, being a leader, being intelligent, being fair, handling pressure well...these things you can't learn.

I've no idea whether Arteta is a potential big name manager or not, but if he leaves he leaves. No big deal to me.

Personality is a huge part of it and Pep can pass down thoughts on the game tactics training methods. But he can never pass down how he treats people and players his obsessiveness, and the bits of his personality that makes him think outside the box sometimes. You can't pass down a thought process that makes a top football coach appoint a water polo player as his right hand man.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.